Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

1 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Substrate Usage and Cleaning Questions

I saw a thread earlier of someone asking what kinds of substrate everyone uses for their big snakes etc etc. I currently use ReptiChip for my entire 19 snake rack, and I use Unprinted Newspaper for my 8 Ft Burmese Pythons enclosure. I am currently building him a 2'x6'x12" cage. I am installing Linoleum on the floor and sides, so technically there is No need for substrate. However, I do plan to still use Something just for easier cleaning. I am undecided whether to stick to my unprinted newspaper or to switch him over to Coconut Chips as well. My questions here are: How the HELL do you tell when a snake pees in it???? I made my first mix of the Repti Chip on the 18th of last month and I made it too wet. It just, a week ago, started to dry out and turn it's normal non-wet color, BUT, since ceramic bowls are too heavy (IMO) for slide out tubs in a rack, I use plastic containers ($0.98 for 2 at Walmart ayy). My snakes constantly drag these around their tubs and Sometime spill water. I never know if half of their cage is wet because my 6 foot reticulated python is sitting underneath her water bowl... Or if she actually peed. I had them all on paper before switching to this and it was VERY clear when they peed. I like to keep them as healthy as I can and would hate for them to be sitting in pee. Currently, I feel like I am wasting bedding by changing it out too often or just for water leakage. I did want to switch to the PVC coupling - Deli Cup combination, but my tubs are only 3.5" - 4" high. a 4" coupling is about 4" high so my snakes wouldn't be able to drink from it.. Cutting them in half would be a major pain in the ass, and also would not work because that would put the Coupling at 2" high but the deli cup at 3" deep. I STILL wipe daily condensation off every tub each day, which I know is my fault, but I would hate to wipe down the inside glass of a 2'x6' cage everyday if I make it too wet next month. Also, How often do you guys recommend changing Repti Chip? I've seen 1 month, 2 month, 3 months, Even the Eco-Earth says 6 Months on the bag. Any other advice is welcome. ^_^

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    For my retic, when i used Reptichips, I would change it every one to two months. I use aspen for him again as i used that stuff since he was a baby and i change it every month. A lot easier to see pisses and poops on aspen imo.

As for the boas, i change their aspen every 2-3 months as they dont poop or piss nearly as much as Caesar.

I liked Reptichips and like Zoo Med Cypress more but i still keep going back to Zoo Med aspen. I dont have humidity issues though so aspen works the best for me and the snakes seem to like it. Problem for me was cypress and reptichips would create a ton of condensation in my cages for week or more and Rosey and Caesar seem to hate really high humidity situations and will push and pace like crazy until it dries out some.

Bottom line is it will boil down to how often and how much your snake pisses as you will have to spot clean it and slowly will run out just from the spot cleaning.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 09-07-2018 at 02:15 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: Substrate Usage and Cleaning Questions

Oh ok I gotcha. I only need to change it completely when it's low? I do enjoy emptying and scrubbing the cages every month or so anyway. I had a lot of that built up condensation but it did not seem to bother Any of the snakes I have.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Substrate Usage and Cleaning Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    Oh ok I gotcha. I only need to change it completely when it's low? I do enjoy emptying and scrubbing the cages every month or so anyway. I had a lot of that built up condensation but it did not seem to bother Any of the snakes I have.
    Well you can use the amount in there as a gauge but it really depends how much you start with. I use flexwatt belly heat for all my snakes except my GTP so i dont use a lot to begin with. And with Caesar, he takes tsunami pisses so i end up spot cleaning about a 6-8 inch 'impact' zone with each big piss.

If you enjoy doing the cage cleanings every month, then go for it. The only thing it could hurt would be your wallet. It definitely wouldnt hurt the snake at all to have a nice clean cage all the time.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie