Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,523

6 members and 1,517 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

confused a bit on to use uvb bulbs or not

I have read the BP care sheet on the forum here and it says no UVB needed, but yet I see on FB groups were they do use them. So which is the correct answer so I can provide my BP's the right conditions, thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    They don't need UVB.

The people who use UVB are those who just add it under the belief that it might be beneficial, for human interest, but it just a thought and there is no actual proof that it benefits them. And as for "need", they definitely don't need it. Ball pythons are in fact, a nocturnal species.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-06-2018 at 01:28 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

BlacknBlue2 (09-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-06-2018),MissterDog (09-06-2018)

Thanks

Re: confused a bit on to use uvb bulbs or not

See thats what I thought but being new to reptiles I thought it best to ask and see if I really need it, thank you for confirming that.

Thanks
    Uvb is unnecessary. It has been noted that it may be beneficial to their skin and such but honestly they get the vitamins they need from the rodents they eat. Ball pythons spend most of their time in the wild in burrows and rat nests once they invade, eat, and take over. Only coming out at night to either find a mate or move to a new location to invade for feeding. In the wild they wouldn't be receiving much UV unless forced out from their habitat in the daylight.
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirus Uno For This Useful Post:

BlacknBlue2 (09-06-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I tried UVB on a few of my hunger strike ball pythons during the winter to see if it altered their feeding response. It did not.
    *.* TNTC

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

BlacknBlue2 (09-06-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I tried it on my king because I had a spare. She was curious, checked it out, and then went back to her hide to sleep. Made no difference in her scales or changes in behavior.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They don't need it the way many lizards do, who will get sick without it. But there is good evidence that it's beneficial. If nothing else, they can see it. And while they are mostly active at night or at dawn/dusk, they can be seen basking during the day in the wild either openly or cryptically. I have UVB in my BP's cage, and he has lots of hides including some that are completely in the shade and dark, but he still hangs out near the UVB lamps during the day most days. He doesn't usually sprawl out in the open completely, but he finds ways where he can be partially hidden but still get UV exposure. That said, it took a longish time after I installed the lighting before he settled into this pattern.

I did not notice changes in my snake's color or skin or feeding response when I moved him into a larger viv with lights, but he does clearly like spending time under them and that's a good reason to me.

It's not required, but it probably helps some and it certainly doesn't hurt. If you have live plants in the cage, the light will benefit them (not the UV per se, but the rest of the lamp's output). The important thing is that the snake has to be able to choose whether to be exposed to it or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I did provide it for a while but the snakes mainly hid when it was switched on - though I can recommend it when taking photographs as it really enhances the irridecence. (sp?)

**Picture actually taken to show eye dent initially**

Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.