Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

1 members and 3,148 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Large enclosure build.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    Artificial plants will also help a lot to make the not so perfect look much better do they make artificial moss that splashed here and there after you paint to what you like also be awesome in hiding imperfections, I think Rainbow is going to love her new home best wishes always..

Going to put both live and artificial plants in there. I did some research and in some places they live in caves and that gave me the idea for the hide portion of the enclosure. The bottom is going to be more tropical and transitioning to tropical outside the hide. She has a huge tub that fits in the bottom for a water swimming area. Well she wont be able to swim but she can get in it. The humidity down there will be much higher than on the top.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I think after tonight it will look dramatically different. I have more time to work on it again. I thought about putting bark and wood chips in it but did not want to have anything poky fixed so she could scrape herself on it. she will get heavier as she ages and some small wood chips might stick into her and cause issues. I do plan on having loose wood chips in the enclosure but I am a long way from doing that yet. I even thought about sand being a part of the texture of the rocks but decided not to. Crawling across sandpaper would not be comfy either. Going to try to shape the rocks up some and make it easier to clean a little but also look a little better. Also changing paint scheme. Going with more greys and light browns. I will get it right. Just takes some learning on my part.
    most peeps just use foam to help shape the walls and background or use foam to stabilize something like a branch. then we just plop down substrate on the flat floor so it's easier to clean. woodchip, sand or whatever will be more comfortable when it's loose and can shift around and when it's not stuck to foam or anything. i look forward to your progress.

Artificial plants will also help a lot to make the not so perfect look much better do they make artificial moss that splashed here and there after you paint to what you like also be awesome in hiding imperfections, I think Rainbow is going to love her new home best wishes always..
    Going to put both live and artificial plants in there. I did some research and in some places they live in caves and that gave me the idea for the hide portion of the enclosure. The bottom is going to be more tropical and transitioning to tropical outside the hide. She has a huge tub that fits in the bottom for a water swimming area. Well she wont be able to swim but she can get in it. The humidity down there will be much higher than on the top.
    have u thought about drainage for the live plants? will u plant them in the substrate or keep them potted? are u willing to house bioactive bugs? i hope that u are considering these things.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Yes to semi bio active bugs and all the live plants will be on bottom level which is the aquatic level. Yes drainage for the plants is being planed for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    most peeps just use foam to help shape the walls and background or use foam to stabilize something like a branch. then we just plop down substrate on the flat floor so it's easier to clean. woodchip, sand or whatever will be more comfortable when it's loose and can shift around and when it's not stuck to foam or anything. i look forward to your progress.

have u thought about drainage for the live plants? will u plant them in the substrate or keep them potted? are u willing to house bioactive bugs? i hope that u are considering these things.
    Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I asked Rainbow her opinion about the progress with the enclosure. Learned a couple of things I need to consider. Like a curtain to block the glass when not being observed. Also she looks so small in half the cage. I know she will grow into it.

Thanks

I asked Rainbow her opinion about the progress with the enclosure. Learned a couple of things I need to consider. Like a curtain to block the glass when not being observed. Also she looks so small in half the cage. I know she will grow into it.

She is adorable checking out her new digs only thing that was miss is Jack the Pumpkin King singing "What's This?" Great pictures thank you ever so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Last edited by C.Marie; 09-19-2018 at 12:47 AM.
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks

She is adorable checking out her new digs only thing that was miss is Jack the Pumpkin King singing "What's This?" Great pictures thank you ever so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Thanks. She was moving around slowly at first. Then she was like, "I am free!" Then she was like, "What is this or that?" I had a time taking her back out to put her back in the smaller enclosure. She was just excited to explore a new location. She moved carefully at first then she moved everywhere she could checking out everything within reach. She was not to sure about the hole to get to the bottom side as of yet. She looked down and was like, "A hole?" and was like, "I wonder?" and poked her head down a min but pulled back up without going down there. Was fun to see her for sure. Cant wait to get this build finished for her to move around in as much as she likes. I think her favorite spot was the cave I made. She spent most of her time on that side of the enclosure. I might just finish painting it for now and then get those heat panels and finish the LED light bar I am building and let her get in the top asap. Then later open the bottom once done. Just worried about fumes from the bottom while drying effecting her. I can wait till it is all done. Just so tempting.

Thanks
    I can understand your excitement, she going to have a wonderful new home , she really looks magnificent in it, before you know it you will be making one for Aurora as well.. Thank you so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Russian Blue - Church
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks

I can understand your excitement, she going to have a wonderful new home , she really looks magnificent in it, before you know it you will be making one for Aurora as well.. Thank you so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    After seeing her in it, I wonder if I am going to large with the enclosure. I know she will grow lots more and eventually use all of it but that is years down the road. For a while I could use the top for one and the bottom for the other but I like the aquatic section for Rainbow on bottom. I will use Rainbow's current cage for Aurora when I first get her. She will be much smaller in the beginning. So many exciting things happening and so much waiting. It will be worth it when I am done. I think my collection is complete with Aurora for a long time. Now going to work over the next year on making the enclosures I have more natural looking and quality. So much new. So much fun!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-19-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-24-2018)

Thanks
    I think it the perfect size , yes she looks small compared to the enclosure now but I think once you get used to see her in it and it is filled with substrate, foliage it will seem more reasonable, can not wait to see the new girl super thrilled for you and jelly won't lie keeps us post on both the cage and the new lovely lady in your life thank you ever so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Russian Blue - Church
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks

I think it the perfect size , yes she looks small compared to the enclosure now but I think once you get used to see her in it and it is filled with substrate, foliage it will seem more reasonable, can not wait to see the new girl super thrilled for you and jelly won't lie keeps us post on both the cage and the new lovely lady in your life thank you ever so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Thanks so much. The wait is hard for sure. At this point I am thinking January will be paid off. Doing 300 a month is a heck of a sacrifice but she will be worth it. Was going to try to do 500 but is to much. They are happy with 3 so that is what I am doing for now. I have been kind of quiet about the build this past weekend. Been working on it a lot an there will be more photos coming soon. The LED light bar I am building is almost ready to go in. Taking the florescent bulbs out. Should add a nice look. I can also change the color of the lighting as well. Painting like a mad man as well and working on irrigation and placement of pots for the few live plants that will be going into the bottom half. So much cool stuff going into this build. Must stay in budget.... must stay in budget... must stay in budget... LOL. Did another education show Saturday. Advertised on FB (hate FB by the way) this time and people showed up. I was there from 12 to 8 as a result. Will post another thread with photos for that though. So much coolness and fun!!!!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast