Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,010
Threads: 238,110
Posts: 2,473,329
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Mule 66
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73
  1. #41
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,239
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 923 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Still working on it. Not the look I want yet. Suggestions?



    Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 09-14-2018 at 08:25 PM.

  2. #42
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,239
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 923 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Lots more painting and shaping up to do yet on the top level. Working on building a custom LED light panel from some LED light strips I have laying around. Time to shop for heat panels. The photos above is her cave hide that I am sure she will spend lots of time in. The photos don't show how huge this cage is. The cave is large enough that a full grown mainland would fit with room to spare. The CHE is coming out. Don't like the look and want to use heat panels. Have room to put a heat panel in there up top inside the shelf. It will also warm the shelf. This will be her hot spot on the top. Getting excited the more I work on it. Is hard to show restraint with my budget. Tapped out till pay day. Will order a heat panel on the 1st to try out and see if I like it enough to order more.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 09-17-2018 at 09:38 AM.

  3. #43
    Registered User Tessellate's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-02-2018
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    I found this vid of someone making foam rocks for a backdrop, maybe it'll help.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpko5rxM9pI

    Also, the color right now for the rocks is very bright brown and shiny, which makes it seem unnatural. I'm sure scoring/sanding the foam will help with the shininess, and maybe a more grey-toned paint could help. In the video they mentioned using a sand-mixture to give a more matte and textured surface. You could do that and still have a sealant layer on top. This is such a cool build and I feel you on wanting to blow all your cash on treating your snakes lol. Texturing and shaping the foam can help pass the time until payday.

  4. #44
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,239
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 923 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
    I found this vid of someone making foam rocks for a backdrop, maybe it'll help.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpko5rxM9pI

    Also, the color right now for the rocks is very bright brown and shiny, which makes it seem unnatural. I'm sure scoring/sanding the foam will help with the shininess, and maybe a more grey-toned paint could help. In the video they mentioned using a sand-mixture to give a more matte and textured surface. You could do that and still have a sealant layer on top. This is such a cool build and I feel you on wanting to blow all your cash on treating your snakes lol. Texturing and shaping the foam can help pass the time until payday.
    Yep. want to go more grey with the rocks as a whole. Waiting on payday to buy more paint and sealant. This has been a learning experience for sure. Right now looks like a big pile of poop exploded everywhere. Thanks for the video. Will be progressing more tonight. Any suggestions on heat panels?

  5. #45
    Registered User Dianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-26-2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    3,230
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 841 Posts
    Images: 17

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Yep. want to go more grey with the rocks as a whole. Waiting on payday to buy more paint and sealant. This has been a learning experience for sure. Right now looks like a big pile of poop exploded everywhere. Thanks for the video. Will be progressing more tonight. Any suggestions on heat panels?
    Iím partial to http://pro-products.com/ - these are currently what I have in all my existing cages. They were easy to install and even when on donít get too hot to touch...though noticeably warm to a human. A big thing with any of these is to measure clearance to the substrate/shelf, and to include the height of your curled up snake. If I remember correctly, you need no less than 7Ē clearance between the panel and any stationary object, at least for the panels I purchased.

  6. #46
    BPnet Veteran Ax01's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-14-2015
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    5,799
    Thanks
    2,471
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 3,122 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I started with an enclosure that someone had built already and put on Craigslist for 100. 8ft 3ft 4ft. Going to change the CHE out for heat panels. Going to use 3 of them placed in different zones. 1 hot 1 cooler on top and one hot and 1 aquatic side to the bottom. A ramp will be connecting them to help her climb up and down. I know the aquatic part is not necessary but Rainbow loves water. Will update photos as progress is made. Looking for suggestions on temp control in the 3 zones.
    i would get a Herpstat 4 or a combination of Herpstats like a 2 to control the top and a 1 for the bottom. or if u don't want all the bells and whistles, get the EZ2 and EZ1.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Yep. want to go more grey with the rocks as a whole. Waiting on payday to buy more paint and sealant. This has been a learning experience for sure. Right now looks like a big pile of poop exploded everywhere. Thanks for the video. Will be progressing more tonight. Any suggestions on heat panels?
    i agree that it looks like poop Lol. u should have added bark, cork or rocks, etc. to the foam when it was still still soft and wet for texture etc. i also would have went in w/ a knife, scraper and sander to shape and mold the hardened foam before sealant and paint. right now there are just too many nooks and crannies to make it too hard to clean for my liking.
    Last edited by Ax01; 09-17-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    ^ Look! My new avatar!!

    Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

    Seaside Serpents & Exotics (SSEx) clutch one, two and three.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

    C.Marie (09-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-17-2018),jmcrook (09-17-2018)

  8. #47
    Registered User C.Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-14-2017
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    4,683
    Thanked 699 Times in 602 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Still working on it. Not the look I want yet. Suggestions?



    Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    I first thought when I saw this wow Rainbow really mucked up her new home fast but read and realized it wasn't that but decor I am not very artisticly inclined either but I am sure you will have this sorted out in no time looking forward to the end results..
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

  9. #48
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,239
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 923 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    I first thought when I saw this wow Rainbow really mucked up her new home fast but read and realized it wasn't that but decor I am not very artisticly inclined either but I am sure you will have this sorted out in no time looking forward to the end results..

    This whole thing is a giant experiment that I hope turns out great for her. Some learning involved as I go for sure.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

    C.Marie (09-17-2018)

  11. #49
    Registered User C.Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-14-2017
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    4,683
    Thanked 699 Times in 602 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    This whole thing is a giant experiment that I hope turns out great for her. Some learning involved as I go for sure.
    Artificial plants will also help a lot to make the not so perfect look much better do they make artificial moss that splashed here and there after you paint to what you like also be awesome in hiding imperfections, I think Rainbow is going to love her new home best wishes always..
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (09-20-2018)

  13. #50
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,239
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 923 Posts

    Re: Large enclosure build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i would get a Herpstat 4 or a combination of Herpstats like a 2 to control the top and a 1 for the bottom. or if u don't want all the bells and whistles, get the EZ2 and EZ1.

    Edit:

    i agree that it looks like poop Lol. u should have added bark, cork or rocks, etc. to the foam when it was still still soft and wet for texture etc. i also would have went in w/ a knife, scraper and sander to shape and mold the hardened foam before sealant and paint. right now there are just too many nooks and crannies to make it too hard to clean for my liking.

    I think after tonight it will look dramatically different. I have more time to work on it again. I thought about putting bark and wood chips in it but did not want to have anything poky fixed so she could scrape herself on it. she will get heavier as she ages and some small wood chips might stick into her and cause issues. I do plan on having loose wood chips in the enclosure but I am a long way from doing that yet. I even thought about sand being a part of the texture of the rocks but decided not to. Crawling across sandpaper would not be comfy either. Going to try to shape the rocks up some and make it easier to clean a little but also look a little better. Also changing paint scheme. Going with more greys and light browns. I will get it right. Just takes some learning on my part.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (09-20-2018)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1