Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 644

1 members and 643 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

MarkJeyFry (29)

» Stats

Members: 75,060
Threads: 248,513
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Jaseon
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,849 Times in 4,775 Posts

Re: Snake reactions from your family and friends

Quote Originally Posted by Florence_Bones View Post
    I have noticed that many of my friends who grew up on farms are the ones who want nothing to do with the snake.
    That's odd. My husband and I get calls to remove snakes from people's garages/basements/etc. (local AC and LE refer them to us, we do it free) and there are several local farmers who have said that they would appreciate every eastern black rat snake we release by their grain silos to help keep the rodents in check.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    That's odd. My husband and I get calls to remove snakes from people's garages/basements/etc. (local AC and LE refer them to us, we do it free) and there are several local farmers who have said that they would appreciate every eastern black rat snake we release by their grain silos to help keep the rodents in check.
    Some of that might be dependent on location of the farmer. Most of the farmers or homesteaders I know around here (central VA) like black snakes and rat snakes for the rodent control. My buddy in NC is in an area with a lot of water moccasins and the occasional rattler or copperhead. He leases his land for farming and everyone is tolerant of black snakes and chicken snakes (haven’t a clue what those are), but if it looks too much like one of the 3 venemous snakes they eliminate it first and identify second. In all fairness, I can’t blame them but so much when they have pets, children, and field hands in and around the fields. Ideally everyone could coexist, but the water moccasins in particular haven’t gotten that memo...they have come after retreating people, even when they are on equipment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Chiming in late and didn't read most posts.

I post on fb and I get likes a lot. However I had someone say to put a disclaimer then to scroll to see the pics. I'm like nope my feed my posts hide me or delete me. I don't censor for your insecurities.

My my mom was like why snakes? Cause they are cute, and cuddly and I call them George lol. She said why don't you get a pet with a personality. I literally LOL'd. Ummm they do mom...they do.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-14-2018),hilabeans (10-14-2018),MissterDog (10-14-2018),richardhind1972 (10-14-2018),Timelugia (10-14-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    BF's granddaughter, who is just a toddler, got upset at a PetSmart because she wasn't allowed to handle the snakes. Later that day, she wandered out to the back porch, and her dad found her holding a tiny Sonoran Gopher (? - something Pitt, looks just like my SG). He snapped a photo. She was in LasVegas this weekend, and her mother sent over a few pics with her face reflected in the glass, gazeing at green tree pythons. (Exotic Pets Las Vegas??? - I don't know where they were, but that would be a likely spot.)

She was cute when they last visited about two months ago. She left the meal we were having and ran into the snake room. I followed, and found her pounding on the glass of the cornsnake's viv, demanding, "Come out!" I don't trust her quite yet with any of my collection - she is exciteable, and doesn't quite know her own strength. She loves watching them.

If she is good next time, I'll bring a couple out for her.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Reminds me of the girl from memo. "Fishy why are you sleeping"! Shaking bag killing said fish lol.

I also was was thinking about making a post about big box stores (which I work at one) we are not petting zoos and I do not take my animals out for people. So a crying child just makes me say no with even more umph. Lol.

I am am glad she has a passion and will likely grow into (with proper adult guidance) being able to hold reptiles she loves.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's too bad (about your friends that grew up on farms) because around here many I've talked to seem to realize the value of snakes as far as controlling rodents on
    their farms. Many tell me that the only snakes they object to are the venomous ones. Lots of people are freaked about spiders, & tarantulas are "spiders on steroids",
    lol...my mom was always phobic about spiders, but I've kept a golden huntsman as well as a huge female tarantula before. I like snakes way better, but all life forms
    are interesting & have value.
    I agree! I never in my life thought I'd have a pet tarantula, but the universe brought her to me, and I think the world of her.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345