Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,512

2 members and 1,510 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Registered User ontariosnakelover's Avatar
    Thanks

How do you let your snakes roam around a secure room. Express yourselves lol

Hey just wondering about this topic ive seen in the past here. For those who have a safe room for their snake/s to roam around and be snakes, what do you guys do to your rooms. My hero room / bedroom is sealed off. Secure vents with mm small gaps so no escapes and the ambient is more than good enough for them for a lil while. I'll put a pile of clothes or sheets here and there to let them hide because let's face it, snakes aren't gonna roam out in the open. Instinct says hide lol any fun things you guys like to put up for them? I wanna get some fake tree plants or real for inside that my boa can climb with and little pots for my bps. Express yourselves lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I don't have a room that I feel completely safe letting my snakes roam. But I also don't have any "big" snakes that are difficult to lose sight of . So I don't let mine "roam" without me being right there. I'll let them explore, but between escape routes, furniture they can disappear into, electronics, electrical outlets, etc... I don't let them get far.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ontariosnakelover (09-13-2018),Sonny1318 (09-03-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I let my ball python roam the living room, but only while I'm in there and paying some amount of attention. I've checked around the corners of the room for anything he might get hurt on or get lost in, so I feel good about letting him explore. He does it only on his own terms - if I see that he's awake and about, I open the cage door and he comes out if he wants. In the summer, my living room is generally in the 80's with humidity above 60%, so comfortable for him (rather less so for me!). In the winter I heat the room with a space heater if I'm going to hang out in there for awhile, and he'll often come out when it gets warm enough, but more often he just sits there with his head on the edge of the cage and watches in heated comfort.

He constantly surprises me with what new things he learns how to climb, and it's pretty neat to watch him practice and get better at climbing up various pieces of furniture. For the most part I'm pretty confident in his ability to climb around and not fall, but the one exception is that he doesn't necessarily understand about objects that sit on shelves and aren't bolted down, so he knocks stuff over if I'm not attentive.

He definitely has favorite places to climb and check out, and when I come in the room in the evening he'll often come to the front and look at me like, "Hey, you gonna open this door or what?"
    His cage is a decent size with lots of hides, things to climb, and a couple of raised platforms. He has fairly regular habits, and favorite hangouts for different times of day. But watching his explorations of the living room makes me want to give him a much bigger cage someday. I have no doubt that he would use and benefit from more places to go than he has now. I can't imagine keeping him in a rack-sized tub. (Because someone will ask - no, it's not a giant empty tank with open space and nothing in it. Yes, he eats like a champ and sheds perfectly. No, he's not stressed; I've seen how he behaves when he is nervous or uncomfortable and that's different)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2018),ontariosnakelover (09-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I miss having a room where I could do this, and like Craig, most of my snakes are of a size that can easily "disappear". I now have mostly rat snakes, some as
    long as 7' and all are strong climbers, so they're very efficient at dusting & emptying shelves & furniture of all objects. I do have a commercial clothing rack
    that has a very heavy bottom to which I attach a large branch for them to "play outside" on sometimes...artificial trees are tempting (& you can sometimes find
    large ones for sale fairly cheap in thrift stores once their first owners realize how big a pain they are to keep dusted ), but keep in mind they'll tip over easily,
    so you'd want to attach them to a heavy base of some kind, or attach them to a wall for safety.

I've also seen some "jungle gyms" made either of PVC pipes & elbows or of bamboo poles tied w/ rope (A-frame style with ladder rungs), & my goal is to build
    one of the latter (I have the bamboo poles already) and make it so it can fold flat to store easily. Most of my snakes love to climb, but if I let them near any of
    the real trees in my yard, I'd never get them back...my trees are way too big. Climbing is so good for snakes, they do better with exercise, just like we do.

Years ago when I had a "safe bedroom" closed off for snakes to roam a while, I found out just how creative my pets were at hiding & exploring: the "prize" went
    to a Trans Pecos rat snake that I found only because his tail tip was sticking out thru the bottom button-hole of a coat in the closet...the rest of the snake was
    INSIDE the coat, vertically hanging on, & very sure that I'd never find her... I almost didn't.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ontariosnakelover (09-13-2018)