Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,444

3 members and 1,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Helping a shy bp?

My coworker who is new to owning a bp, asked me for advice on their 5 year old bp whom they “rescued” from a relative. Apparently the relative never touched the snake, and only opened the tank to feed it. They said when they tried to get it out, itd “rush” to the top and track his hand and seemed aggressive. While im not sure if this is the case, i was curious if anyone had any advice on handling a bp that could possibly be aggressive or at the least territorial? The owner said she eats well and often, so i dont think its hunger... thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by novaaradia; 09-03-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    If the only interaction it ever had with the prior owner was that it was fed but never held, then over time it will have learned that enclosure opening = time to eat.

Since it seems to have settled into its new home and is not shy about eating, I would start 1) hook training (look for Youtube videos), and 2) handle it several times a day but for very short durations, just a few minutes each time, until it no longer associates the enclosure opening with dinner time.

Another trick to turn off a foody snake is to run your hands under cold water for a bit and then use a lemon-scent hand sanitizer before picking up the snake; they don't like the sharp smell.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-03-2018),novaaradia (09-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Lol it's a simple case of the snake learning that whenever the tank opens = it's time to eat, from your first sentence. The last owner only opened the tank to feed it. Ball pythons aren't aggressive or territorial.

Once your coworker opens his cage regularly just to handle it and not to feed it, it will learn that an open tank doesn't necessarily mean food anymore. If they're scared of the snake rushing up, they can use a rolled up paper towel to "stroke" the snake if they're going to handle. He will eventually learn that being pet with a paper towel means there's no food coming.

edit: bcr beat me to it LOL, and my 2nd paragraph is just the concept of hook training. But if you don't have a hook, you can use any long safe object.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-03-2018 at 12:22 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-03-2018),novaaradia (09-04-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Helping a shy bp?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If the only interaction it ever had with the prior owner was that it was fed but never held, then over time it will have learned that enclosure opening = time to eat.

Since it seems to have settled into its new home and is not shy about eating, I would start 1) hook training (look for Youtube videos), and 2) handle it several times a day but for very short durations, just a few minutes each time, until it no longer associates the enclosure opening with dinner time.

Another trick to turn off a foody snake is to run your hands under cold water for a bit and then use a lemon-scent hand sanitizer before picking up the snake; they don't like the sharp smell.
    Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Lol it's a simple case of the snake learning that whenever the tank opens = it's time to eat, from your first sentence. The last owner only opened the tank to feed it. Ball pythons aren't aggressive or territorial.

Once your coworker opens his cage regularly just to handle it and not to feed it, it will learn that an open tank doesn't necessarily mean food anymore. If they're scared of the snake rushing up, they can use a rolled up paper towel to "stroke" the snake if they're going to handle. He will eventually learn that being pet with a paper towel means there's no food coming.

edit: bcr beat me to it LOL, and my 2nd paragraph is just the concept of hook training. But if you don't have a hook, you can use any long safe object.

bcr and redshepherd said everything I would have said.

Hook training might be a great way to start, and develop trust in both the snake and the keeper.

Frequent, but brief, handling sessions will teach the snake that the enclosure opening does NOT equal food. The more times the enclosure opens without food being presented, the more acclimated to it the snake will become.

Last bit of advice: suggest to your coworker that they join BP.net!!!!
    It's a great community with a wealth of information. This way your coworker can do some reading on their own and learn more about their new pet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

novaaradia (09-04-2018)

Thanks

Re: Helping a shy bp?

Thanks everyone for the advice! I know more to tell them now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk