Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

1 members and 3,382 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

At what point to space out feedings for a Dumeril's?

I don't have an exact hatch date on Memphis, other than I'm pretty sure she was a late 2017 hatchling. She's currently about 350ish grams and is doing well with a smaller weaned rat every 7-10 days or two smaller rat pups, depending on what we have on hand.

I think her body condition looks really good. She's solid but seems proportional. At what point should we space out her feedings? I don't want to underfeed her, but I definitely don't want to overfeed her. The only reference point I've been able to find online so far is based on length vs. weight (ie, feed every 2 weeks when she hits 3 feet or can take a small rat). She was 155 grams in mid-May when we got her.

Here are a couple of recent photos of her. I can try to get a better one in a day or two, she just ate last night.

Thanks!

Sent from my Vivo X using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: At what point to space out feedings for a Dumeril's?

What a beauty! I used to have a pair of Dumerils years ago. I regret selling them and my Cuban boas...such great patterns.

With the exception of babies, I feed all of my collection twice per month (1st & 15th). I usually switch over at one year. My snakes aren’t as heavy bodied as some others I’ve seen, but they are healthy with good muscle. I typically feed 1-2 prey items per feeding. My 7’ Colombian redtail gets one 2X rat, my adult ball and Colombian rainbow get 1 medium rat, and everyone else gets 2 mice per feeding - 3 corns, a Solomon Island ground boa, and a 3 yr old albino ball (picky bugger won’t take rats yet and refuses a third mouse). The 3 baby balls I’ve gotten this year are offered fuzzies weekly, sometimes they eat and sometimes they don’t.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

WhompingWillow (09-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    As a general guideline for boas I use their age, add a year, and that's the weekly interval between feedings. Once they hit four week intervals I keep them on that for life.

I may adjust up or down based on body condition, or if I think their last meal was a little lighter or heavier than normal, or if a neonate started as a picky eater and was a slow grower I'll keep it on weekly feedings for a bit longer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    What a neat head stamp!

I just go by feel, and observe if they're gaining or losing weight, and change things accordingly.

For my dumerils personally, I remember feeding her every 7-10 days when she was 600g. I don't remember exactly when I started feeding every 2 weeks, but it was somewhere between when she was 2.5~3 years old.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: At what point to space out feedings for a Dumeril's?

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I've got a while before needing to worry about spacing out feedings. I'll continue to monitor her body condition and go from there.

I really wish I had gotten a photo of her last night at feeding time. We normally feed in alphabetical snake order, so Memphis had to wait a little while. The first 1/4 of her body was raised and smushed up against the glass, like "Feeeeeeed me." Reminded me of a puppy begging for food LOL. 🤣
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie