Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,633

1 members and 1,632 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New ball python help?

I just recently got a baby ball python (August 28th), he was shipped and is over a month old. I got his terrarium all set up and I'm having trouble maintaining humidity and temperature. The basking temp has reached over 95 degrees and the humidity does not stay between 55-60%. Whenever I do cover the top mesh cover with towels, the temperature slowly starts to rise. So I have to keep misting the terrarium. How do I go about keeping them maintained? The only way I could lower the basking temp is turning off the infrared heat lamp, and I've spooked him a few times trying to mist. I know I am most likely stressing him out, so any advice?

He is in a 20gal terrarium. The cool side is always the same; 78 degrees. The current humidity is slowly dropping down to 54% and his current basking temp is 93 degrees.

I'm a first-time owner, so anything helps.

Also, yesterday was supposed to be his feeding day, but his food has not arrived. I don't live anywhere near where I could get good quality hoppers. Will he be okay till next Friday without food?

(There's a lot going on, I know)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Temps should not rise if you have a thermostat, do YOU?

Temps on the hot side should not be higher than 90 degrees, ideally with an hatchling 88

Your enclosure is also to big for an hatchling.

Basically you need get back to the basics.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: New ball python help?

I don't have a thermostat, but I will be sure to get one. Until then, do you have any tips on what should I do about the temps?
    I'll see what I can do about his terrarium as well

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    And yes, he'll be OK without food for another week...it's actually PREFERABLE that you do NOT feed a snake you just got, especially one that was shipped to
    you, as it takes some time for them to de-stress. If fed too soon, many will regurgitate their meal & that is a further set-back that you don't need or want.

Most important is to get a thermostat hooked up & let him settle in with the right conditions in his cage. Do NOT handle him (for best results) until he has fed
    at regular intervals for you for 3 times. It's best to allow new snakes to settle in for several weeks...their food drive is MOST important, it's not fun if they start
    refusing to eat, and handling them can do just that...interfere with their instincts about feeding.

Also, for best success, feed exactly what he was fed before, & if you don't know, now is the time to ask the seller. Welcome, by the way....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    I just recently got a baby ball python (August 28th), he was shipped and is over a month old. I got his terrarium all set up and I'm having trouble maintaining humidity and temperature. The basking temp has reached over 95 degrees and the humidity does not stay between 55-60%. Whenever I do cover the top mesh cover with towels, the temperature slowly starts to rise. So I have to keep misting the terrarium. How do I go about keeping them maintained? The only way I could lower the basking temp is turning off the infrared heat lamp, and I've spooked him a few times trying to mist. I know I am most likely stressing him out, so any advice?

He is in a 20gal terrarium. The cool side is always the same; 78 degrees. The current humidity is slowly dropping down to 54% and his current basking temp is 93 degrees.

I'm a first-time owner, so anything helps.

Also, yesterday was supposed to be his feeding day, but his food has not arrived. I don't live anywhere near where I could get good quality hoppers. Will he be okay till next Friday without food?

(There's a lot going on, I know)
    I'm sure there are those who will be able to offer more help than I can, but to get you started please research the following. 1.) Ball pythons don't need a basking light, they really aren't a basking snake. They DO need belly heat, so forget about the light (which dries out the environment) and provide a source of bottom heat. 2.) It's critical that you have a thermostat to prevent your heat source from getting hot enough to burn your snake, NOT having one puts your snake at risk, of serious injury due to burns. 3.) Relating to #2, your snake will appreciate 2 hides, one in the warm area, one in the cool area. This allows him to feel comfortable and secure in either temperature range. Some snakes would rather be too hot/cold than be out in the open and if their temperatures aren't correct, it may affect their appetites and ability to digest their food. 4.) It is recommended that a new snake should be given a week to settle in before offering food, so you're o.k. In future, however, try to ensure you always have enough for at least 3 weeks at a time. This will ensure that you're prepared in the event of a delay in your order or difficulty in getting to a pet store (or wherever you buy your food). Hope these suggestions are helpful, and hopefully someone else will chime in as well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2018),Traceur (09-01-2018)

Thanks

Awesome, glad to hear!
    Do you think it would be okay for me to move him so I could put the background back in?

The terrarium came with this back piece to make it look like a rock background, so maybe that could box his terrarium in a bit?
    I'm just using what I have at the moment

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Awesome, glad to hear!
    Do you think it would be okay for me to move him so I could put the background back in?

The terrarium came with this back piece to make it look like a rock background, so maybe that could box his terrarium in a bit?
    I'm just using what I have at the moment
    Not important...let him relax...shipping is terrifying and to him, you're still an unknown potential predator. Wait until after he's fed a few times to make such
    changes (like when the cage needs cleaned)...but DO fix the temperature & humidity regulation, and yes, I also recommend 'belly heat' (aka UTH). Personally use Flexwatt but others are good too, and ALL need controlled so your snake isn't harmed (burned) though...they don't realize until it's too late. For now, fix what's important...decor can wait. (installing decor would require handling him...a "no-no" for now)

But one thing you CAN do for now that he might appreciate is to cover the OUTSIDE of the glass with paper on the back & sides...just temporarily reducing
    the number of "scary things" going on around him that he can see. Hopefully his cage is in a low-traffic area?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-01-2018 at 11:55 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-01-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't have a thermostat, but I will be sure to get one. Until then, do you have any tips on what should I do about the temps?
    I'll see what I can do about his terrarium as well
    Unplug your UTH NOW until you get a thermostat.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2018)

Thanks

I don't have an UTH, but I did turn off the heat light

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2018)

Thanks

Yes, it is in low-traffic area. I'm usually out doing stuff 5 out of the 7 days of the week, so he'll only be seeing me every early morning and afternoon when I return

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast