Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,478

1 members and 3,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Is this a bad gene combination ?

Hi.. i'm looking for any information that might shed some light on a recent pairing that ended badly. Last October I purchased a Cinnie Lesser het Lavender albino female and a Hidden gene woma granite het lavender albino male to pair up. All was going well and the female laid 5 healthy looking eggs with no slugs. I duly incubated the eggs at 89 degrees with humidity of 90%. I briefly aired the egg box once a week. The eggs much to my excitement all remained healthy looking and followed the usual progression upto day 60. To cut a long story short.. the outcome was that 4 of the offspring were kinked with sharks mouth and didn't make it out of their eggs. One hatched and was fine. The surviving hatchling appears to be a lesser granite. One of the deformed offspring was a lavender albino and the other 3 i'm not sure what they were.
    My question is whether this is known to be a fatal combination of genes or just bad luck on my behalf.

Any comments are welcome.
    If nothing else I thought I should flag this up for others. Knowledge is power.

Regards

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy J For This Useful Post:

Trisnake (09-10-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Cinnamon with the hidden gene woma may have been the cause.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Is this a bad gene combination ?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Thanks for the link Deborah. I had seen something similar when researching possible problem pairings.
    I was aware that there were issues with some of the genes, but it didn't occur to me that combined the HGWG het Lavender Albino and Lesser Cinnamon het Lavender Albino when paired would be lethal.

I guess the more genes you experiment with the more uncertain the outcome. Another day at school for me.

My incubation method has been the same for other clutches with a 100% hatch rate, so this left me stumped.

Thanks again

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Is this a bad gene combination ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Cinnamon with the hidden gene woma may have been the cause.
    Thanks for responding... it does seem to point in that direction from talking to various people, although no one I have discussed this with has heard of the same thing happening before.

The one hatchling that survived appears to be a Lesser Granite and therefore missed the HGW and cinnamon aspect.

Thanks for your input

Thanks
    I have never heard of this with cinnamon and HGWG.

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be the morph combination because those two morphs in particular really only have problems when paired with genes of the same ALS group. Animals carrying a gene from the 8ball ALS are usually only prone to deformity when they're homozygous or paired with another gene from the same ALS. Same with HGWG, as (theoretically) part of a spider-champagne-woma ALS group. They generally only have major defects if paired with other genes in the same complex.

Cinnamon womas, black pastel champagnes, black bees, etc. are all commonly seen, bred and hatched. I feel like these kinds of deformities would be seen with higher frequency if it were actually the ALS groups interacting. I would be more inclined to think it was the actual pairing and that the individual animals are best not put together.