Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

1 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: another post my ball python won't eat

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Is this another joke thread ?!

Feeding a Royal python using a syringe !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If only it was...
    Apparently the hits keep coming. I was curious to see what OP posted for an update. I was surprised and not surprised at the same time after reading it.

Some people are just destined to do things their way I guess.

....let's see if OP sends me another PM cussing me out....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2019),MissterDog (01-08-2019),Pengil (01-05-2019),Shayne (01-09-2019)

Thanks
    **edit- just noticed your snake already ate but maybe this is helpfull to someone else**
    as long as your snake is healthy and acts normal as ussual your bp will be totally okay. However if you notice alot of change in behavior or notice the snake getting less healthy maybe go to a vet that knows how to examine snakes. I wouldn’t assist or force feed as tere are some risks if you don’t do it correctly. Ball pythons are often picky feeders, maybe your snake wants only a certain color of rat or only a male/female rat? For example i’m pretty sure my bp only eats female rats.. i have heard of ball pythons going months without food and then when they feel like eating again they will eat. (Although if your bp is a small baby i dont know if it is safe to go too many months without food) my (adult) ball python has also not eaten in over a month because of winter i think. Unless your snake ussually eats frozen thawed, maybe try live rats 1 time?(just watch while feeding if you are feeding live to make sure the rat doesn’t bite the snake)
    hope this isn’t confusing and hope it helps! ~Jasmijn
    Last edited by Jasmijn; 01-05-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Is this another joke thread ?!

Feeding a Royal python using a syringe !?!?

is no joke i started this thread back in september my BP hasn't eaten since july i bought a syringe for birds to feed my snake i have some carnivore care in the fridge but you can give cat or dog food or baby food with some calcium watery enough to get in syringe,here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyF3IaSiX6E
    Last edited by ballpythoncornsnake; 01-05-2019 at 08:41 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythoncornsnake View Post
    Hi Zincubus i use a probe thermostat for a reference mostly i go by the infrared thermometer the temps are fine.

Today i went to the pet store and bought a live rat i waited for lights out and it didn't last long my snake is digesting as we speak. i don't know why she lost interest on the frozen thawed maybe got tired of it lol.i'm relieved she ate.i guess pythons get moody sometimes.
    In the previous post you said my snake hasn't ate since July and you started the thread in Sept., but here you say the snake ate in Oct. (on the 31) so I don't get it. You acted like the problem was solved a while back ago. I guess it really wasn't.
    I really recommend you stop with the syringe feeding. Here is a link you might find helpful. If you don't quit your present course of action you might be soon visiting the rainbow bridge section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uds5AiWlmds

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-06-2019),MissterDog (01-09-2019)

Thanks

First of all, please stop feeding your snake through a syringe.

From what I can tell, your snake ate live at least once. If you are that freaked out about the weight, continue to feed live a few more times, not only to put on weight, but to get it into the habit of feeding again. You can try F/T later when you feel better about your snake's weight, or when it outgrows hoppers and pups.

Downsize the enclosure. You don't have to get anything permanent- most stores have plastic tubs for pretty cheap, and all you have to do is put some airholes in the sides and get some clips/straps for the lid. Once your snake is established and feeding consistently, you can switch it back. If that is not an option, make sure you have multiple matching hides, and stuff the current enclosure with branches/chunks of wood (baked first). BPs love spaces we would find claustrophobic.

If you feel comfortable posting your location, maybe there is someone near you who would be willing to take a look at your setup/your snake, and help get him back on track.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-05-2019),MissterDog (01-09-2019)

Thanks

hi guys thanks for the replies i'm in Dallas,TX my BP was a rescue it came with a 40 gallon breeder the snake was eating fine,but i knew i coudn't keep good temps on a glass enclosure so i bought a pvc one slighly bigger 36x24x16 the old one was a 36x18x17 so not much of a diference since then my snake has gone off feed but the snake is fine in there the tempes are perfect he spends hlaf of the time on each side and every night the roams around since july he ate twice a FT and live offered live,frozen,rats,mouse,white and black but nothing works i have to force feed and liquid is the easiest way my snake is skinny i'm going to bring the weight back to 400g then ill try feeding again normally.The only risk with syringe feeding is getting down the food in the traquea but is hard to do as the hole is on the bottom of the mouth my BP is over a year old and weighing 300g i can't let this go on anymore,also i know the temps are good my snake is been on that enclosure for 5 months i'm not changing.

My bearded dragon was also sick and he also would not eat so i also force feed and shes back on her feet now eating on her own but beardies are alot easier to feed as when you put something in the mouth they will chew it and eat it.

I'M going to tell you my experience with vets,they don't know the animal you as the keeper that is your job and the information you find online as it is very good info.i leave the medical side to the vets like fecal and so on.i took my BP for an examination a 2 months back the fecal came back negative.i'm going to try this approach and see if my BP will eat on her own in 6 weeks from now.

Thanks

Here is my bp enclosure as we speak right now he is exploring the enclosure also when i syringe feed does not look stressed.
    Last edited by ballpythoncornsnake; 01-08-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: add pic

Thanks

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...5853822451.jpg

sorry guys here is the enclosure for my snake took me a little while to figure it out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    One of mine has refused food for the last 2 months. He has eaten a total of 3 small rats in the last 6 months. I offer every ten days or so and have used every trick in the book and he just won't eat. I'm hoping he gets back on track when the weather warms up. He has def lost weight but not too much. I stopped stressing a long time ago. He will eat when he is ready.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    One of mine has refused food for the last 2 months. He has eaten a total of 3 small rats in the last 6 months. I offer every ten days or so and have used every trick in the book and he just won't eat. I'm hoping he gets back on track when the weather warms up. He has def lost weight but not too much. I stopped stressing a long time ago. He will eat when he is ready.
    I had one that fasted for over 8 months ... she eats every time now albeit only every 10 days .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

cletus (01-09-2019)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast