Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,763

1 members and 2,762 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

New Hypo Redtail.

Just bought a new member to the collection. Going to give Boa's a go. This is Harley Quinn she is 167 grams of pure energy. Guessing Columbian, I know very little so far. Was told she would get about 12 feet? I'm thinking smaller but no biggie. Well get her situated and eating and I can research more. I have done my homework but seems like always something to learn.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-31-2018),Ronniex2 (09-15-2018),Wayneh (08-31-2018)

Thanks

Re: New Hypo Redtail.

A hypo as far as Im aware is BCI (boa constrictor imperator) morph.....same species as a Colombian, but more commonly called a BCI nowdays.

A female BCI boa at 9ft long would be an absolute monster although it would be possible. 12ft is out of the question in my opinion. 7-8ft being more common for a female. However, it's a boa so you're in for the long haul as far as growth goes. They grow relatively slow compared to other species. Just keep that in mind and don't overfeed.

Do your homework even more so and keep reading...you should always know, 100% what youre getting into with large constrictors.
    Last edited by KevinK; 08-30-2018 at 10:04 PM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-30-2018),Bogertophis (08-30-2018),dakski (08-30-2018),richardhind1972 (08-31-2018),ryu80 (08-31-2018),Wayneh (08-31-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

That’s my thoughts on size but pet stores like to hype it up. I figure she will be somewhere around 9 feet. This snake is about as big as I want to go. I was aware of the slower growth and for sure the feeding is my big concern next to the temps and humidity. Lot to learn and really just want to keep her healthy and safe. She is quite calm but I’m going to leave her alone to settle in. Off to enjoy the bundle of info this site has to offer.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Congrats on the new addition! Nice looking boa!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Wayneh (08-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Most BI females top out at seven feet. It's the BCC that get a foot or two longer. Even then it takes many years to get there.

Enjoy your baby, she's a cutie!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I agree with KevinK completely on size, etc.

Morphs are almost always BCI's. BCC's, which get bigger, are almost always sold as BCC's and with the locality they are bred from.

A female BCI, might get 8FT, eventually, but even that is large. I would not count on 9FT, that would be a rare female. Males are much smaller in Boas, including BCI's. 9ft with a BCC female I could see, but very doubtful for a BCI. Do expect a heavy bodied animal. Females get much thicker than males. A male at 5 feet should weigh about 6-10 pounds tops. A female at 7FT can easily weight 15-20 pounds, or more.

My female Ghost BCI, is 2 years old and just over 1K grams. I would be surprised if she gets that big (8FT), but her momma was big, about 7 1/2 feet and her dad was about 5-5 1/2 feet. Either way, I am not concerned as she's a total puppy dog.

A few things.

1. BCI's, and all Boas really, are aggressive feeders. Always use tongs and I recommend hook training from day one. Here is a link to a thread I made on hook training: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...highlight=hook

2. As you said, leave her alone until she's had a 2-3 good feedings in her.

3. Less is more with feeding, as you said.

Babies eat 1X a week an appropriate sized rodent. You want to leave a small bulge in babies and juveniles, but not more than a small bulge. BCC's if fed too a big a meal can regurgitate and can often develop a condition where they will regorge often and can die. BCI's are less known for this, but the same rule applies. I recommend F/T. Boas are garbage disposals and will happily take F/T consistently. You can feed weekly through weaned rats. Once on small rats, go to every 2 weeks one prey item. Medium rats, 1X every 3 weeks. Large and Jumbo (up to 400G or so) feed every 3-4 weeks, 4 being better. Adults can eat 1-2 jumbo every 3-4 weeks depending on the size of prey. If you want to feed larger meals to an adult, like a rabbit or Guinea Pig, feed every 5-6 weeks. I don't think females should go much more than 5 weeks between feedings and I plan to feed jumbo rats every 3-4 for Behira when she's big enough. I do not recommend feeding colossal rats (400G+) as they have a higher fat content and Boas have a hard time digesting meals that are heavy in fat.

A 8,000G female BCI can eat even 1 400G rat every 3-4 weeks and maintain weight fine. They are not super active and have very slow metabolisms.

4. Temps

86-88F hot spot

81-84F ambient

78-80F cool spot

5. Humidity

I maintain around 65% most of the year with the humidity going up in mid summer here in CT and her tank getting closer to 70%. That's fine. I also raise to 75-80%+ when in shed.

In the winter, if Behira's tank gets below 60% (when it's super cold and dry outside), I mist with hot tap water (always use hot tap water - 110F or so) 1X a day or every other day depending on how dry it is. Using hot tap water means that when it mists in the tank, and drops temp quickly and dramatically, it probably goes into the tank around 80-90F tops. DO NOT MIST WITH COLD OR EVEN ROOM TEMP WATER. It WILL change temps inside the tank quickly. You do not want that.

6. Yes, she will get big. Make sure you have, or have budgeted for, an appropriate sized tank with proper heating elements.

If she gets 8FT, you will need a 6X2' or bigger. I have Behira in her adult tank already and it's a Boaphile 6'X2' tank. I love Boaphile tanks personally, and use them exclusively, but many people on the forum swear by Animal Plastics (AP) cages. Whichever way you go, make sure you have proper heating year round and a gradient as described above.

7. In case you are not aware, invest in a good thermostat, preferably one that is redundant or can be made redundant. Thermostats are mandatory.

There are quite a few Boa peeps on here. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or ask questions if you are not 100% sure on something. We are happy to help.

Finally, if you have other animals, and again, you probably know this, but you must quarantine. If you are unsure of how to properly do this, please ask.

Good luck, keep us posted, and enjoy your beautiful Boa for years to come.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Jakethesnake69 (08-30-2018),Jessibelle (08-31-2018),KevinK (09-02-2018),richardhind1972 (08-31-2018),Tessellate (09-14-2018),Wayneh (08-31-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Yes quarantined for sure, I have three new snakes And it’s on for all of them. Dove right into this hobby but this Boa is my last, it’s supposed to be fun or why bother. Great info Dakski appreciate that. I’m definitely on board with the hook training and will check out the hook training link.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Yes quarantined for sure, I have three new snakes And it’s on for all of them. Dove right into this hobby but this Boa is my last, it’s supposed to be fun or why bother. Great info Dakski appreciate that. I’m definitely on board with the hook training and will check out the hook training link.
    Good to hear on the quarantine end. Many keepers, even more experienced ones, often skip this step.

I totally agree on less is more and quality over quantity in this hobby.

I have 8 reptiles and 7 tanks now. That's it for me. I have a full time job, a wonderful fiancé, 5 dogs, and health issues. Any more and A) I wouldn't be able to spend quality time with each one and B) cleaning tanks would become a chore, not part of something I am passionate about and is a hobby for me.

I posted a video yesterday in Solana's thread (my Scaleless Corn) of her drinking from her bowl while she was comfortable in my hand. I sent that to her breeder along with some pictures to show him how her colors are developing (she's the only Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn with visual red factor in the world right now). It blew his mind that already, 2 months here and 4 months in age total, she trusts me enough to do that. I work with all my reptiles to develop and keep a rapport. Helpful with the 2 corn snakes and the BP, but pivotal with Behira, because of how big she will get. My 3 leopard geckos will eat from my hand as well as my big boy Frank, who is a Blue Tongue Skink. I worked hard to develop that trust and those relationships. Would be difficult with too many animals.

I applaud you for having the right idea and approach to the "hobby." Stay passionate my friend and enjoy all your animals.

I think you are going to love Harley Quinn. Boas are confident, curious, and docile, when handled regularly, especially from a young age. Behira has the best personality of any snake I have owned and I never have to worry about a defensive/scared bite; she doesn't get scared! I do not try to scare her, and I am respectful and calm with her, but I can pet her head, pull her away from something she wants to go to and re-direct, etc. She has two modes basically; FEED ME and puppy dog calm. In contrast, my BP scares herself by bumping her head into my arm. She's also very calm and gentle and has never attempted a bite, but I feel bad how often she spooks herself.

Plus, Hypos are lovely and stay rich colored throughout their lives. She's going to look magnificent as an adult with impressive size. You'll just have to wait about 5 or more years to see that if you feed appropriately.

Good luck my friend and keep us posted and keep asking questions!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Jakethesnake69 (08-30-2018),richardhind1972 (08-31-2018),Wayneh (08-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    A hypo as far as Im aware is BCI (boa constrictor imperator) morph.....same species as a Colombian, but more commonly called a BCI nowdays.

A female BCI boa at 9ft long would be an absolute monster although it would be possible. 12ft is out of the question in my opinion. 7-8ft being more common for a female. However, it's a boa so you're in for the long haul as far as growth goes. They grow relatively slow compared to other species. Just keep that in mind and don't overfeed.

Do your homework even more so and keep reading...you should always know, 100% what youre getting into with large constrictors.
    Hasn't it been reclassified to full species status as 'Boa imperator'? It's no longer considered a sub-species within 'Boa constrictor'.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 08-31-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Great little hypo boa(bi) you picked up there, think your going to love watching that little boa grow into a stunning little specimen, don't forget to post plenty of update pics,
    the hypo gene actually gets better colour with age.
    In my opinion boas get better with age mine all have, the chance of her getting that big is pretty slim especially if fed properly
    Plenty of decent people on here to help guide you on the way if you get any problems or not sure on something

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 08-31-2018 at 03:08 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Jakethesnake69 (08-31-2018),Wayneh (08-31-2018)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast