Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,914

1 members and 2,913 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: A snake bit me on the...

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • hand, fingers

70 95.89%
  • face, head

8 10.96%
  • arms - upper limb

24 32.88%
  • neck

2 2.74%
  • torso - chest, tummy, back, etc.

6 8.22%
  • butt

0 0%
  • legs - lower limb

7 9.59%
  • feet, toes

2 2.74%
  • somewhere else on my body

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: Where have you been bitten?

I’ve continuously kept snakes since 1991, up to 42 at one time, so I’ve had lots of opportunities. Most have been defensive bites from neonates or juveniles, and lots of bites from one wild caught adult female Solomon Island ground boa. There have only been a few large adult bites...two were totally my fault, the other was just the snake was done with handling.

Adult male Colombian redtail, about 7’...used feeding tubs at that time but this wasn’t a feeding day. I’d put him in a tub to clean his cage and instead of using the hook like I usually do, I reached in to pick him up. He bit my hand and wrapped my arm. This is where I first put into practice the trick of pouring rubbing alcohol around the mouth, he spit me right out. No harm to him, I had a nice set of cresent shaped punctures on the top and bottom of my hand.

Adult female Burmese (keeping for a friend), 13’ and about a week after the boa bit me (evidently I was a slow learner)...I reached in to take her out of the cage to clean it. She was in shed and evidently asleep when I touched her. She grabbed the same hand as the boa had, no wrapping but she wasn’t letting me go either. Alcohol worked here, too. I bleed very well, this one was messy but no major damage because I wasn’t trying to pull away. Wrapped my hand with a towel and cleaned her cage anyway.

Adult female Colombian redtail, about 8’...I was trying to sell her as I was getting out of breeding and selling anything not specifically a pet. I’d learned to consistently use snake hooks now! It was near the end of the show and a guy was interested in her. I had taken her out several times for prospective buyers and she’d finally had enough. She grabbed my hand and really clamped on. I’d forgotten my rubbing alcohol but hand sanitizer worked. The guy’s girlfriend was saying “oh h*** no”...can’t say I blame her too much. lol I used my other half’s handkerchief to wrap my hand and paper towels to get my blood off the floor. That really freaked out the lizard vendor next to us. I felt bad for the poor guy...and I’m reasonably sure he will never keep large constrictors after that display. The prospective buyer didn’t purchase her, but I did end up selling her by the end of day...she really was a beautiful snake.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

distaff (10-16-2018)

Thanks

Haha! Good one. Almost all of the above. I've had snakes for over 50 yrs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nikvon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2018)

Thanks

Growing up most of the snakes I kept were wild caught. Couldn't remember if I wanted to all the times I was bitten. In most cases the snakes were smaller that did not do to much damage. I did get bite on the back of my arm by a relatively large 6' + Boa one time when I had it out cleaning it's cage. It was an orphan I had taken in while looking to re-locate it for someone. I tell most new snake keepers it is just a matter of when you will get bit it you handle snakes long enough.

Bill

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    As a kid, I had had no fear of the garters/ribbon snakes(?) I chased around the yard. I don't think the possibility of a bite even occurred to me.

Was bit by a hatchling king, but the little thing was the size of a pencil. It still got my heart rate going.
    The corn got me when I wasn't paying attention - I had him on my lap, was surfing the, and must have brushed carelessly by his head. Bloody thumb, hardly any pain.

But, I've never been the same since, and that was maybe a couple of years ago. No more casually padding around the house with a big corn draped around my shoulders.

I always have a snake hook in hand now. I am less jumpy than I was, but am still afraid I'll hurt the animal in a jerky fear reaction.

Odd, I get bit far more (and painfully) by a couple of nippy female rats, but when they need to be moved while I'm cleaning the cages, they get gently moved, and I deal with it, whether they decide to bite or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Where have you been bitten?

Hands and forearms only thankfully ..

Bitten by one Royal , a few Boas , a Woma python and I was repeatedly tagged by this little beggar who had lightening reflexes and razor sharp teeth !!

Thai Red Bamboo Rat snake ( Oreocryptophis Porphyraceus Coxi )

He was probably my scariest snake - thankfully he was only 18” long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-06-2020 at 07:35 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (05-06-2022),Bogertophis (05-15-2022)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234