Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

2 members and 3,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: A snake bit me on the...

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • hand, fingers

70 95.89%
  • face, head

8 10.96%
  • arms - upper limb

24 32.88%
  • neck

2 2.74%
  • torso - chest, tummy, back, etc.

6 8.22%
  • butt

0 0%
  • legs - lower limb

7 9.59%
  • feet, toes

2 2.74%
  • somewhere else on my body

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    A handful of times on my hands and fingers from an assortment of things, but the worst was easily a bite from a 7ft mangrove snake. He nailed me on the back edge of my left hand and I needed to pry him off. Over the next few hours I had extensive swelling and jolts of pain and tingling up that arm with a numbness in my lips that lasted two days and heart palpitations that lasted a few hours. A few days after the bite the swelling receded but the bite was numb and there was some dark blistering that took a few weeks to heal and the skin to peel off.

Fun stuff indeed.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Where have you been bitten?

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    A handful of times on my hands and fingers from an assortment of things, but the worst was easily a bite from a 7ft mangrove snake. He nailed me on the back edge of my left hand and I needed to pry him off. Over the next few hours I had extensive swelling and jolts of pain and tingling up that arm with a numbness in my lips that lasted two days and heart palpitations that lasted a few hours. A few days after the bite the swelling receded but the bite was numb and there was some dark blistering that took a few weeks to heal and the skin to peel off.

Fun stuff indeed.
    That's what I'd call a memorable bite for sure. Glad you recovered OK in time.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's what I love about snakes, really...if you take the time to communicate & don't rush or scare them accidentally, the fiercest snakes when it comes to food are
    still "puppy dog tame" about handling. When I've used mine for "meet & greets" with people (-many who've never met a snake before) I often think to myself "it's a
    good thing they don't see this guy being fed" -they'd never feel safe holding or touching him, LOL!
    Yeah, I know! I showed my 7 year old niece, Meghan, Figment eating the other day. First time she had seen a snake eat and it blew her mind. Didn't scare her at all though. She's been handling all the snakes for years and loves them. Luckily it didn't turn her off. However, I could see if you show them a snake feeding first, before they got to meet the snake, that could be a huge turnoff.

She said, "Wow, he moved so fast!" When he struck and coiled the F/T mouse. Then she said, "How does he open his mouth that big?" when he was downing the mouse.

She thought it was cool and seems to like the snakes even more now that they have cool tricks up their sleeve (metaphorical sleeve of course; no arms, no sleeves).

I have to tell myself sometimes, like when Behira (BCI) is nailing the acrylic doors in anticipation of a rat, that "A Snakes feeding response is not indicative of their behavior towards me or how they act when being handled."

Kind of like in the financial industry (where I work). "Past performance is not a guarantee, or necessarily indicative, of future performance."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2018)

Thanks

That's what I'd call a memorable bite for sure. Glad you recovered OK in time.
    Yeah, it's rather amazing to think how bad these rear fanged snakes could be if they had a better delivery system. I'm fine now but my hand had a weird tingling sensation in it for months after the bite, especially if it was exposed to hot or cold.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Yeah, it's rather amazing to think how bad these rear fanged snakes could be if they had a better delivery system. I'm fine now but my hand had a weird tingling sensation in it for months after the bite, especially if it was exposed to hot or cold.
    You had to have been wondering if it was ever going all the way back to 'normal' again. I would have been, anyway.

Registered User ontariosnakelover's Avatar
    Thanks

My bps never bitten or struck at me. My Boa Hestia on the other hand I have to read her mood since she was sold to me as a nippy aggressive baby and I was pre warned pre sale. I thought it was cute as hell. Took me awhile but I got a hand on her now. When shes jumpy or I cant read her great I have a thickish pair of work gloves on her enclosure when I dont have time to mess around. I love em <3 <3

0.1 Het VPI Boa ,Hestia
    1.0 yellowbelly , Kronos
    0.1 yellowbelly, Rhea
    Last edited by ontariosnakelover; 09-02-2018 at 09:14 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ontariosnakelover For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-02-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

That's what I love about snakes, really...if you take the time to communicate & don't rush or scare them accidentally, the fiercest snakes when it comes to food are
    still "puppy dog tame" about handling. When I've used mine for "meet & greets" with people (-many who've never met a snake before) I often think to myself "it's a
    good thing they don't see this guy being fed" -they'd never feel safe holding or touching him, LOL!
    Such a great post...

...and soo, sooooooo true. If some of my family and friends who were new to snakes or apprehensive about them had seen my snakes eat, there's no way they would have gone near them.
    I always love the inevitable "do they bite?" question too. Yes, yes they do. But I always tell them "not typically, but they are animals, so I can't 100% say no." Then I go on to explain that all animals bite. Your dog does, my cat does, my ferrets do, my fish do, hamsters do...they are animals. And that animals typically only bite when they feel threatened, so I go over the do's and dont's.
    Then I tell them that I've never been bitten by any of my snakes but Django. And I'm honest. I explain that I spooked him and it was defensive and my fault. I teach them what I did and "why" I was bitten.

But yeah, if they saw them eat FIRST, it would have been much more challenging to teach them that my snakes aren't "scary" or dangerous.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-02-2018)

Thanks
    It's so ironic, because the pets that people are more familiar with (dogs, cats, small mammals, birds) ALL routinely do more damage with their bites & claws than
    our snakes ever do with their tiny teeth...but perhaps the big difference is that most of our snakes pounce aggressively on food instead of taking it gently from
    our hands. Even that sweet horse that eats from your hands can easily kill you, mostly unintentionally, but instead people maintain their irrational fears of being
    strangled & consumed by a snake.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Tessellate (09-09-2018)

Thanks

I've only been tagged once, on the finger, resulting in a single drop of blood. Felt like being flicked. My BP was in a friend's lap chilling and when it was time to take her off, I quickly passed my hand over the snake's head. She immediately jerked back into a defensive pose. Then, like and idiot, I reached DIRECTLY FOR HER and she struck out, tagged me, and Immediately curled into a tight ball. It was entirely my fault and I still apologize to her over it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tessellate For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2018)

Thanks

Smile Re: Where have you been bitten?

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    ok i was just inspired by a read through of Red FiFi's manly thread here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...s-bite-you-LOL

so where on yo body have u been bitten by a snake? maybe u weren't wearing gloves and got bit on the hands or fingers. or maybe u were out herping and got bitten on the ankle. where were u bitten and what bite u?

Edit: i've been bitten plenty of times by my BP's and Colubrids on the hands and phalanges.
    i haven’t made it that far yet.. many strikes but no bites but I’m sure when the hatchlings come along I have plenty in store..

miechBIG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast