Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,962

2 members and 2,960 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: A snake bit me on the...

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • hand, fingers

70 95.89%
  • face, head

8 10.96%
  • arms - upper limb

24 32.88%
  • neck

2 2.74%
  • torso - chest, tummy, back, etc.

6 8.22%
  • butt

0 0%
  • legs - lower limb

7 9.59%
  • feet, toes

2 2.74%
  • somewhere else on my body

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Where have you been bitten?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Keep trying, you'll get there... The difference is that I've been doing this for more than twice as long as you, and for many years I had 85-90 snakes in my house,
    & even more at times with offspring & "house-guests" (those being re-located). I "only" have 16 snakes now, but the numbers do make a difference...
    My little sister did get bit by one of my BPs that I had back like maybe 10 years ago. Latched on and everything. But he was small so no biggie. Did kind of freak her out though.

Most I've had at one time was 4, I believe. Just now got out of my parents house finally at 25 lol, so those numbers might be changing soon, now that I have more of a say in things.
    Last edited by alittleFREE; 08-29-2018 at 10:18 PM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Of my own snakes only the retic has bitten me as a defensive strike on the hand. Baby atb and carpets are very nippy but I just let them keep trying since they don't hurt or even break skin.

Another persons collection I tend to each week I've been bitten by both of her retics, a corn and several balls. I'm working with all them to break their food response.

I've never had a snake wrap my hands or arms. Even the food response bites they realize it right at the last second of the strike.

Now if there was a poll for parts of your body a snake has poo'd on I might have to check every box.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    ...Now if there was a poll for parts of your body a snake has poo'd on I might have to check every box.
    I'll happily let you "win" that contest,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    My little sister did get bit by one of my BPs that I had back like maybe 10 years ago. Latched on and everything. But he was small so no biggie. Did kind of freak her out though.

Most I've had at one time was 4, I believe. Just now got out of my parents house finally at 25 lol, so those numbers might be changing soon, now that I have more of a say in things.
    I've always had a say, I got into snakes as an adult with my own house so yes, that sure matters. And technically, a bite is a bite whether or not it breaks the skin:
    when you raise hatchlings as I have, they can be very defensive & nippy, but corn snakes for example, cannot break the skin. I've had no "significant" bites...I've
    heard of ppl getting bit by a large boid & getting permanent nerve damage, so bites should be avoided IMO. And I don't want my snakes to be afraid of me so I like
    to take the time so they don't feel they have to defend themselves...but hatchlings are are healthy & NORMAL when they're nippy. Especially some of the larger rat
    snakes, and believe it or not, I've raised a lot of scrappy rosy boas too- 49 of them. (I've raised king snakes but their defense as hatchlings is to squirt you with poo-
    their mouth isn't big enough for a good defense so they gross you out instead.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Finger/hands the most! And one time on my forearm. Always defensive strikes or otherwise totally random strikes from my tanimbar scrub while she doesn't even show any defensive behavior... -_- She's just chillin along like nothing's wrong, then suddenly whips around and bites me. Really lame.
    I've never been tagged by a feeding strike!

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    ok i was just inspired by a read through of Red FiFi's manly thread
    I laughed out loud when I saw "Red Fifi"! LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-30-2018 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Finger/hands the most! And one time on my forearm. Always defensive strikes or otherwise totally random strikes from my tanimbar scrub while she doesn't even show any defensive behavior... -_- She's just chillin along like nothing's wrong, then suddenly whips around and bites me. Really lame.
    I've never been tagged by a feeding strike!

I laughed out loud when I saw "Red Fifi"! LOL
    It is not a "feeding strike", it is "holding hands" or better known as the "aspedities secret club handshake".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (08-30-2018),Bogertophis (08-30-2018),distaff (10-16-2018)

Thanks

My 1st snake bite came last week after my baby BCI got me 3 times in the hand. It was my fault as I had him out in a high traffic area and I think he was getting a little stressed. As I was walking away with him, I felt a little prick and looked down and he was biting my hand. In a way, I was kind of glad it happened because I was able to refrain from jerking away and plus the pain from the bite was non existent. I'll be honest, it's still in the back of my mind when I pick him up but the fear of the unknown is not like it was in the past.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    My 1st snake bite came last week after my baby BCI got me 3 times in the hand. It was my fault as I had him out in a high traffic area and I think he was getting a little stressed. As I was walking away with him, I felt a little prick and looked down and he was biting my hand. In a way, I was kind of glad it happened because I was able to refrain from jerking away and plus the pain from the bite was non existent. I'll be honest, it's still in the back of my mind when I pick him up but the fear of the unknown is not like it was in the past.
    I think you're right, the high traffic area confused and scared him. One time I got a bite when, without thinking, I walked past a mirror holding a snake. The sudden
    appearance of images nearby in the mirror startled the snake into a self-defense bite...after all, they don't understand mirrors. My fault, oops. Snake-keeping with-
    out bites is a "practice" that improves with time, most bites are preventable...often we just need to slow down to a speed the snake can process. Congrats on your 1st.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I've been keeping snakes for 20 years. Probably a total of 10 different snakes over that time period. I have 4 now. I've been bitten a total of 2 times.

That seems like a pretty good ratio to me. They were also 28 years apart (not 20 consecutive years of snake keeping but a total of 20 years). Both times were my fault and neither animal was an aggressive/defensive animal.

Bite 1: Went to pick up my juvenile BP from his tank and slipped and smashed my hand down in front of his hide. Nailed me quick on the hand and then went quickly back into his hide and curled up scared.

I was young and a) barely felt it and b) new it was my fault and felt terrible that I had scared him.

Bite 2: My juvenile BCI Female (Behira) was about 600G and looking for food. Her body was in the middle of the hot side of the tank and her head was around the other side of her hide hunting. Me, being a tough guy, said, "I'll call her bluff." Well, she wasn't bluffing. She couldn't see my hand either, so when she felt something warm touch her body, WHAM, over the house and onto my arm. She let go immediately (although she got me good, top and bottom teeth, and drew a good amount of blood) and was like, "Sorry Dad, I thought you were a juicy rat!" I picked her right up and she was her usual calm self.

I have since hook trained Behira as she has a killer feed response (no kidding, right). We have had zero incidents since and she's about 1,100G now. I am very careful when I feed her, and always use the hook to stroke her a few times and make sure she knows it's handling time and not feeding time, when I take her out. Works like a charm and once out, she is a total puppy dog.
    Last edited by dakski; 08-30-2018 at 04:25 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    ...make sure she knows it's handling time and not feeding time, when I take her out. Works like a charm and once out, she is a total puppy dog.
    That's what I love about snakes, really...if you take the time to communicate & don't rush or scare them accidentally, the fiercest snakes when it comes to food are
    still "puppy dog tame" about handling. When I've used mine for "meet & greets" with people (-many who've never met a snake before) I often think to myself "it's a
    good thing they don't see this guy being fed" -they'd never feel safe holding or touching him, LOL!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-02-2018),dakski (08-30-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast