Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

1 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Skyrivers, mice do not live long, only a year or 2 at most.

Alter-Echo- yes, "cervical dislocation" is basically a snapped neck and it sure isn't my choice, nor is it going to work for anyone who's squeamish about doing it.
    I know there's a specific technique to it, which I'll let someone who does it explain, but a hesitation on your part can make it fail & cause suffering...you have to
    be firm & quick, so it's not a great option IMO. I highly recommend the various methods using CO2.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (08-28-2018),MissterDog (08-28-2018)

Thanks

Re: humanly euth mice?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    I have some older breeders that have tumors and such. I can't afford to take feeders to the vet and I don't think giving them to the snakes is a good idea. So time to put on the big girl panties. What is the best way to put an adult mouse down without fancy equipment or a vet degree.
    Co2 camber. There is a really good YouTube video that shows how to humanely put the rats out. Can I send links on here? I can send it to you for instructional purpose. So you can decide what to do. But it's the best and most humane way to go about it.

That sucks they have tumors. But you're a good person to reach out about it first and ask for advice and to put them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud owner of a Black Pastel Mojave baby boy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zuri Indigo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri Indigo View Post
    Co2 camber. There is a really good YouTube video that shows how to humanely put the rats out. Can I send links on here? I can send it to you for instructional purpose. So you can decide what to do. But it's the best and most humane way to go about it.

That sucks they have tumors. But you're a good person to reach out about it first and ask for advice and to put them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://youtu.be/ErnuAQ4UpSA
    Proud owner of a Black Pastel Mojave baby boy

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuri Indigo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-09-2018),Smaug (08-29-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There are several U-tube videos on cervical dislocation.

I generally use an empty tin can that had one end cut out with a can opener. Holding the mouse by the tail, put it on a sturdy surface. Place the open end of the can over the mouse's head. The can's edge is positioned on the mouse's neck. Press the can down hard.

The mouse will kick for a short time and sometimes bleed from the nose or mouth. Immediately dropping the mouse in a container of some sort will minimize that.

I've never done it, but I think a snap mouse trap could be screwed down to a heavy piece of wood so it wouldn't fly up when triggered. That would make a decent cervical dislocator.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    ...I've never done it, but I think a snap mouse trap could be screwed down to a heavy piece of wood so it wouldn't fly up when triggered.
    That would make a decent cervical dislocator.
    Only if it hits the right location though...a mouse neck isn't a big target and mice do not lay still. For those who are at all squeamish, this is probably the wrong method.

Thanks
    I saw something where someone put the mice in a cooler and dropped in dry ice that was in an open container and closed up the cooler. The C02 coming off the dry ice suffocates them. It may have even been on this site but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Everything I have researched says that cervical dislocation is the most painless and FASTEST method. Quicker than CO2.
    It is more difficult with large rats, so I don't recommend trying it without doing a little research, and being confident in your ability to act precisely and quickly, without hesitation, or things can go wrong and the animal will suffer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Everything I have researched says that cervical dislocation is the most painless and FASTEST method. Quicker than CO2.
    It is more difficult with large rats, so I don't recommend trying it without doing a little research, and being confident in your ability to act precisely and quickly, without hesitation, or things can go wrong and the animal will suffer.
    I do agree with you though that this would have to be the quickest and most humane method if you can stomach it.

Thanks

I simply take a flat metal scraper tool, wrap the rat up in a paper towel and firmly grasp it, then I put the tool at the base of its head and quickly snap its neck on a hard surface. Quick and painless. Wrapping them in a paper towel seems to calm them down and they can’t see what is coming... next thing they know it’s lights out. The paper towel also helps because a lot of times they deficate or urinate in the process.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I use a blow to the head with a hammer. Easy, and instantaneous.
    My snakes don't mind the bloody heads.
    I can't see how CO2 is more humane than that, but to each his own.

Same method for the chickens and rabbits we butcher for our own meals.
    A bigger animal just calls for a bigger hammer. It is over fast.
    A little prayer helps.

Letting nature take it's course, in the case of tumors seems like possibly a hard way to go.
    Last edited by distaff; 10-16-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12