Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,063

2 members and 2,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Experiences with LEDs?

I'm thinking of lighting options for my future PVC enclosure and am wondering what your experiences with LED strips are like. The retailer I'm going to buy my cage from has an option like AP for pre-installed LEDs, but it's a basic white light. I kind of want multicolour LEDs so I can have a blue night viewing light, so I've been looking into what I can get for that.

I found this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N8XCKNE/ but looking at the reviews, I'm a bit worried about longevity? For those of you who have LEDs (DIY or pre-installed), how have they been holding up? Do you think lights straight from the cage makers would be more durable/reliable than a cheap kit off the internet? Recommendations or thoughts?

(FIY, the cage maker is Cornel's World in Canada, if anyone happens to have experience with them)

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure the life on LEDs is a lot longer than standard bulbs. As long as the light setup isn't enduring some sort of abuse it should last you years. Cornels world don't they have that new show on animal planet called "Scaled."

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Experiences with LEDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Knowell View Post
    I'm pretty sure the life on LEDs is a lot longer than standard bulbs. As long as the light setup isn't enduring some sort of abuse it should last you years. Cornels world don't they have that new show on animal planet called "Scaled."
    I must admit that all the LEDs I've used over the past few years seem indestructible !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Knowell (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    I'm thinking of lighting options for my future PVC enclosure and am wondering what your experiences with LED strips are like. The retailer I'm going to buy my cage from has an option like AP for pre-installed LEDs, but it's a basic white light. I kind of want multicolour LEDs so I can have a blue night viewing light, so I've been looking into what I can get for that.

I found this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N8XCKNE/ but looking at the reviews, I'm a bit worried about longevity? For those of you who have LEDs (DIY or pre-installed), how have they been holding up? Do you think lights straight from the cage makers would be more durable/reliable than a cheap kit off the internet? Recommendations or thoughts?

(FIY, the cage maker is Cornel's World in Canada, if anyone happens to have experience with them)
    I used a LED strip like this and a piece of wood to make the lights for Rainbow's new enclosure. It is all sealed up and no way she can break it they way I designed it. Just Wish I had used 2 strips of LEDs instead of 1. Her cage is so large that even when lit up it still looks dark in there but she is happy so might not change it. It was cost effective compared to other options I saw.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I’ve been using pretty much those same lights in all of my enclosures for over 2 years now with no issues. I’d recommend choosing a waterproof LED strip though so it will hold up to the humidity in the cage. I also seal mine in place with Lexel solvent caulk on the enclosures that don’t have a recessed channel to fit the strip into. Just run a small bead of lexel, apply the adhesive side of the lights to it and let it cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’ve been using pretty much those same lights in all of my enclosures for over 2 years now with no issues. I’d recommend choosing a waterproof LED strip though so it will hold up to the humidity in the cage. I also seal mine in place with Lexel solvent caulk on the enclosures that don’t have a recessed channel to fit the strip into. Just run a small bead of lexel, apply the adhesive side of the lights to it and let it cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All of this and the adhesive that is on the back of the lights is weak so use something more powerful to keep it in place.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I stick the wire into position using the built in adhesive strip then secure it in place using a hot glue gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro