Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

6 members and 3,439 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I think I found the one

Hello,

so, this is my first post, and I joined because I'm thinking about getting a snake. This would be my first one, and I think I finally found him tonight, but I didn't punch the sale button yet.

he's a Brazilian rainbow boa. About six inches right now, very healthy. Nice color at the moment, very good tempermant.

i have some questions that may sound stupid.

being a woman whose only about five feet... Will having a boa constrictor that may be taller than me be overwhelming?

i have a Doberman who can't stand to be out of my sight for more than five minutes ... How realistic is it, would it, be for me to have a snake that I may not be able to spend much time with? The whole reason I like the boas is that I like the feel of them...Has anyone else had practical experience with dogs and snakes?

this guy costs about $300. Seems pricey. Not that this would be a deal breaker, since I know I'm getting one that is healthy and has a good personality.

they didn't have a starter kit there, but did have a nice terrarium I liked that he could grow into. Buying everything individually there will run about another $300... Is there somewhere else I could do better?

Thanks, in advance, for the help
    D

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: I think I found the one

Quote Originally Posted by Damselle View Post
    Hello,

so, this is my first post, and I joined because I'm thinking about getting a snake. This would be my first one, and I think I finally found him tonight, but I didn't punch the sale button yet.

he's a Brazilian rainbow boa. About six inches right now, very healthy. Nice color at the moment, very good tempermant.

i have some questions that may sound stupid.

being a woman whose only about five feet... Will having a boa constrictor that may be taller than me be overwhelming?

i have a Doberman who can't stand to be out of my sight for more than five minutes ... How realistic is it, would it, be for me to have a snake that I may not be able to spend much time with? The whole reason I like the boas is that I like the feel of them...Has anyone else had practical experience with dogs and snakes?

this guy costs about $300. Seems pricey. Not that this would be a deal breaker, since I know I'm getting one that is healthy and has a good personality.

they didn't have a starter kit there, but did have a nice terrarium I liked that he could grow into. Buying everything individually there will run about another $300... Is there somewhere else I could do better?

Thanks, in advance, for the help
    D

Out now and dknt don’t have much time.

Can respond with more info soon.

I wouldn’t be worried about the size.

However, not necessarily a great first snake.

Need proper temps and especially humidity (very high humidity especially as babies- as babies it’s crazy high with little margin for error.

What kind of enclosue are you looking at? I would highly recommend against a glass tank. Won’t be able to provide humidity it needs.

$300 sounds very cheap for a proper enclosure. A good thermostat alone is close to $140-$200.

Please respond and we will do our best to help you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Out now and dknt don’t have much time.

Can respond with more info soon.

I wouldn’t be worried about the size.

However, not necessarily a great first snake.

Need proper temps and especially humidity (very high humidity especially as babies- as babies it’s crazy high with little margin for error.

What kind of enclosue are you looking at? I would highly recommend against a glass tank. Won’t be able to provide humidity it needs.

$300 sounds very cheap for a proper enclosure. A good thermostat alone is close to $140-$200.

Please respond and we will do our best to help you.
    ok, good to know these things, thanks.

Its ts very humid here now, but I heat with wood, partially, so gets dry in the winter. I think I'll keep him in the living room with me though and the stove is in the basement.

Too bad about the glass terrarium... It was taller than long and I already had it all set up in my brain with branches and plants for him.

better do some more research, but look forward to your response...

haven't given up up on him yet.
    Last edited by Damselle; 08-25-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    The main reason many advise against glass tanks is that the screen top allows too much air exchange & results in low humidity. The solution is to cover most
    of the top with solid material (such as a piece of plexi-glass) to reduce the air flow. It's also said that they don't retain heat very well, but that too can be modified
    by adding "insulation" to 3 sides & bottom (adding privacy for snake too), using any number of things*. (*such as corrugated cardboard, foam poster board cut to
    fit, carpet tiles, sheet cork, etc. And if you don't like the "look", install scenery on the outside of the glass first...it will look nice & hide the insulation.)

I have lots of snake experience but none with BRBs- about all I know is that humidity is crucial to them, but do read up all you can on them. If your heart is
    set on a snake, even one that's not normally an easy 'beginner' snake, you'll be more motivated to learn & adjust than if you settle for your second choice.

I have dogs & lots of snakes...no problem. Snakes aren't "socially-needy", & do fine with just occasional handling. Once they really trust you, they tend to
    retain that also...at least mine do, with me & with anyone I care to share them with. (I've done some programs & "meet & greets" for years, no bites ever.)
    Dogs will be curious...but never let them sniff "nose to nose" with a snake, should the "un-thinkable" happen. I let my dogs sniff a snake-tail now & then, they
    pretty much ignore them...they know they're "mine" & I'm "the boss". Dobies are smart...I've had a few in the past...don't think you'll have trouble, hope not
    anyway; I suppose he might be jealous though?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-25-2018),Damselle (08-25-2018)

Thanks

I've been looking at the exo terra and animal plastics sites and really don't see anything suitable for him.... I think my best bet is to drive to a specialty shop and pick up what I need.

Glad ad I asked here first thoug before I just took the pet stores kids advice

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    $300 for a baby normal BRB is very high. Shipped from a reputable breeder it should run you no more than $200.

For a baby you can use a 28-qt tub with a securely latching lid, like a sterilite latchbox, an under-tank heater that covers 1/2 to 1/3 of the floor space, and a thermostat. Put in an inch of cypress mulch substrate, add a water bowl, and call it done. Keep the mulch damp but not sopping wet and the humidity will be fine. Cypress is recommended because it doesn't mold. When the baby is close to outgrowing that tub you can get a PVC reptile enclosure.

I have snakes and dogs and they are kept well separated; we don't need any vet bills for preventable injuries.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-03-2018),dakski (08-25-2018),Damselle (08-26-2018),GoingPostal (09-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Okay, below are some care sheets I found on breeder and vet websites. Note the 90-100% humidity level in a moist hide and 75-80%+ constant and 90% + for Babies.

Also note that high heat is VERY BAD for them. More on this in a minute when I go over heating, etc.

However, general rule of thumb for reptiles; proper heat is good and there must always be a gradient. BRB's like a range of 75-83F, with a gradient, and with a 83F hot spot, +/- a degree. However, if proper heat is good, many people think more heat is better. NOT TRUE! Too hot can easily cause neurological damage to any reptile and also DEATH.

Reptiles can tolerate cooler temps for much longer than higher temps. For example, I have a female Boa (BCI) and she likes about 80-82F ambient, 78F cool spot, and a 86-88F hot spot. Over 95-97F and she can get neurological problems that can be permanent and over 100F she can die very quickly.

I know you said first snake, and I am being rudimentary here, but not trying to be condescending. For all I know you've cared for reptiles of other kinds for years. However, I am trying to be safe rather than sorry and also write things that might help other beginners.

Care Sheets:

http://www.moonlightboas.com/care-in...care-sheet.php

http://www.moonlightboas.com/care-in...inbow-boas.php

http://www.exoticpetvet.com/brazilia...-boa-care.html

http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/Brazi..._caresheet.htm

http://rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com/ca...ainbow_boa.htm

Cage Basics:

The best tanks for reptiles, especially snakes, provide the following features:

1. Enclosed expect for doors

a) Keeps heat and humidity in well

b) provide a sense of security

c) Are ESCAPE PROOF

2. Have heating elements built in/easily put in

Depending on the size of the tank, and in your case, it won't need to be huge even long term, you can probably get away with 1 or 2 heating elements on the hot side only in a tank that's enclosed and well insulated. Especially since 75F is a good cool spot for a BRB.

I recommend Radiant Heat Panels (RHP) and UTH (Under tank heater), or just a RHP. RHP warm the hot spot but also the air in the tank to help create a gradient and not just warm the hot spot like UTH do.

I use both an RHP and UTH (heat tape in my tanks) even for my corn snakes (who like about an 83-84F hot spot and a cool spot anywhere from 72-78F). It means redundancy and I am big believer in belly heat for snakes especially.

Who manufactures these type of tanks?

Boaphile Plastics: http://www.boaphileplastics.com

Jeff Ronne owns Boaphile and makes the tanks. This is what I have and I really like the tanks and Jeff was very helpful.

However, he rarely, if ever responds to emails. If you like his tank and/or have questions, call him at 507-263-7289, the number on his website and that he asks people to call instead of emailing.

Animal Plastics: https://apcages.com

Many members here have AP tanks and love them.

Reptile Basics: http://www.reptilebasics.com/caging/

I know very little about their tanks and have zero experience. However, probably worth looking into.

Additionally, reptile basics is a great source for cleaning solutions, hides, tongs, etc. Pretty much anything reptile you can think of. I've ordered from them plenty of times.

In the meantime, a small plastic storage box can be used for your little guy when you get him as explained by the care sheets and other members here can chime in. I've never used one, but from what I understand, and again, others should chime in, a bunch of air holes (which you can cover some of to keep humidity up or open to lower humidity if necessary), and a UTH that works with plastic, and your are good to go for a while. Cheap and easy.

The Basics:
    1. All heat sources must be regulated by a thermostat. Get the best thermostat you can afford. Your reptiles life can literally depend on it.

I recommend a thermostat that can do multiple devices.

https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=76 is a good one for that on a limited budget. Check out the spyder robotics main page and you will see there are many options if you plan to expand heating devices or your collection.

I use that thermostat on my quarantine tank for a CHE and a UTH. I currently have a 4 month old baby scaleless corn in there. I have zero complaints.

For my main tanks I use the double/redundant thermostats that Jeff at Boaphile sells. These are on/off thermostats with high sensitivity where as spyder robotics are proportional. Both work fine, IMO. I use the redundant on/off thermostats because of bang for the buck and safety.

$190 from Boaphile for a redundant on/off thermostat that can run 20 heating elements. It's two thermostats in one, each with their own probe. I place the probes together/same spot in the tank or under the tank, and set the main thermostat for X degrees. The backup/secondary thermostat I set for 2F higher. That way, if the main thermostat fails, and worse, fails open, the secondary thermostat will take over and shut down the heating elements. Again, too cool is better than too hot!

2. Reptiles need places to hide and feel secure. HIDES are a must for 90% of species.

3. Substrate is needed.

For humidity purposes, you might want to use some of the moister/water absorbing substrates.

I use printless newspaper in all my tanks and recommend that for quarantine. It's very easy to clean up, but looks crappy and doesn't do much for humidity. My highest humidity animal is my BCI, who likes 65-70% and higher in shed. However, I have no trouble in the Boaphile tanks maintaining that all spring and summer here in CT, and in the winter, a few quick sprays from a water bottle every day or every other day, keeps it where it needs to be.

Quick note: If/when you spray water into a reptile tank. USE HOT/WARM WATER.

Cold or even room temp tap water is too cold and gets colder when sprayed in a fine mist. It will lower temps fast in tanks. No good.

I use hot tap water - 110F or so. When I mist into the tank, it generally comes out in the 80F range. So, I don't have a drastic change in temps, if at all.

4. Cleanliness is very important.

If you use substrate, spot clean and change all substrate every 4-6 weeks, closer to 4 if it's really humid in the tank.

If you use newsprint of paper products, change the paper when there's waste, use a cleaner like F10SC, http://www.reptilebasics.com/F10SC-100ml, and replace the paper.

First snake

If you read up and are dedicated to maintaining proper temps and humidity, I think a BRB is fine. A lot of that has to do with choosing the right enclosure and equipment.

They don't get huge at all, are beautiful animals, and have great temperaments, especially if you work with them from a young age and build trust.

However, and FINALLY, a question! What drew you to a BRB? What are you looking for in a snake?

I love corn snakes, and despite having 7 reptile tanks and 8 reptiles, including a Blue Tonge Skink, Leopard Geckos, a ball python, and a BCI, I have two corn snakes. They are incredibly easy to care for, are very forgiving with husbandry, are beautiful and come in virtually every color/morph you can imagine, get a good size, and eat like clock work.

To me, they are a wonderful first snake and I still have two now even after keeping reptiles for over 20 years. They can also spend their entire life in a 40 gallon tank with a CHE and/or UTH as they don't need high heat or humidity.

Not pushing for a corn snake. I am just explaining that there are many species that are less sensitive to husbandry, can live in a cheaper setup for life, and are wonderful pets.

Either way, we want to help. If it's a BRB you are stuck on, we will help work with you to make that a success.

If you are open to other species, we are happy to discuss that with you too.

Sorry for the long response, but I wanted to be thorough.

Please ask for clarification on anything, or just ask anything that's on your mind. Again, we ultimately want what's best for you and your new addition, whatever that is!

Good luck!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (08-26-2018),Bogertophis (08-26-2018),C.Marie (08-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-03-2018),Damselle (08-26-2018),dr del (08-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damselle View Post
    ...Glad ad I asked here first thoug before I just took the pet stores kids advice
    Some pet store employees are much better than others...some are awful or are just trying to make a sale, so always do your own research, and more than
    just one source.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-03-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    To be honest, I agree with the above regarding it being a first snake. Unless you have time dedicated to monitoring conditions and servicing as necessary, a Brazilian rainbow boa will be a tricky one, but certainly not impossible.

I keep my baby one in a tub right now. It stays warm enough in the snake room to not even need heat, but I provide a little warm spot using an under tank heater for him. He also is a little defensive. Sometimes he's okay and I can pick him right up, other times he will strike at me right when I try. He's actually the one snake that I'm most unsure about but he's a baby so it's not much of a deal right now as bites aren't too bad - and are actually more stressful and likely more painful for him so I try to really pay attention to his cues.

PVC is the way to go once they get larger, but again, they require such high humidity that you will have to pay more attention to conditions than say a normal boa imperator (common boa).

Good luck with whatever choice you make – we're all here to share knowledge, so ask whatever you want! Many of us will admit to making mistakes and having to ask questions no matter the experience-level.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Okay, below are some care sheets I found on breeder and vet websites. Note the 90-100% humidity level in a moist hide and 75-80%+ constant and 90% + for Babies.

Also note that high heat is VERY BAD for them. More on this in a minute when I go over heating, etc.

However, general rule of thumb for reptiles; proper heat is good and there must always be a gradient. BRB's like a range of 75-83F, with a gradient, and with a 83F hot spot, +/- a degree. However, if proper heat is good, many people think more heat is better. NOT TRUE! Too hot can easily cause neurological damage to any reptile and also DEATH.

Reptiles can tolerate cooler temps for much longer than higher temps. For example, I have a female Boa (BCI) and she likes about 80-82F ambient, 78F cool spot, and a 86-88F hot spot. Over 95-97F and she can get neurological problems that can be permanent and over 100F she can die very quickly.

I know you said first snake, and I am being rudimentary here, but not trying to be condescending. For all I know you've cared for reptiles of other kinds for years. However, I am trying to be safe rather than sorry and also write things that might help other beginners.

Care Sheets:

http://www.moonlightboas.com/care-in...care-sheet.php

http://www.moonlightboas.com/care-in...inbow-boas.php

http://www.exoticpetvet.com/brazilia...-boa-care.html

http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/Brazi..._caresheet.htm

http://rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com/ca...ainbow_boa.htm

Cage Basics:

The best tanks for reptiles, especially snakes, provide the following features:

1. Enclosed expect for doors

a) Keeps heat and humidity in well

b) provide a sense of security

c) Are ESCAPE PROOF

2. Have heating elements built in/easily put in

Depending on the size of the tank, and in your case, it won't need to be huge even long term, you can probably get away with 1 or 2 heating elements on the hot side only in a tank that's enclosed and well insulated. Especially since 75F is a good cool spot for a BRB.

I recommend Radiant Heat Panels (RHP) and UTH (Under tank heater), or just a RHP. RHP warm the hot spot but also the air in the tank to help create a gradient and not just warm the hot spot like UTH do.

I use both an RHP and UTH (heat tape in my tanks) even for my corn snakes (who like about an 83-84F hot spot and a cool spot anywhere from 72-78F). It means redundancy and I am big believer in belly heat for snakes especially.

Who manufactures these type of tanks?

Boaphile Plastics: http://www.boaphileplastics.com

Jeff Ronne owns Boaphile and makes the tanks. This is what I have and I really like the tanks and Jeff was very helpful.

However, he rarely, if ever responds to emails. If you like his tank and/or have questions, call him at 507-263-7289, the number on his website and that he asks people to call instead of emailing.

Animal Plastics: https://apcages.com

Many members here have AP tanks and love them.

Reptile Basics: http://www.reptilebasics.com/caging/

I know very little about their tanks and have zero experience. However, probably worth looking into.

Additionally, reptile basics is a great source for cleaning solutions, hides, tongs, etc. Pretty much anything reptile you can think of. I've ordered from them plenty of times.

In the meantime, a small plastic storage box can be used for your little guy when you get him as explained by the care sheets and other members here can chime in. I've never used one, but from what I understand, and again, others should chime in, a bunch of air holes (which you can cover some of to keep humidity up or open to lower humidity if necessary), and a UTH that works with plastic, and your are good to go for a while. Cheap and easy.

The Basics:
    1. All heat sources must be regulated by a thermostat. Get the best thermostat you can afford. Your reptiles life can literally depend on it.

I recommend a thermostat that can do multiple devices.

https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=76 is a good one for that on a limited budget. Check out the spyder robotics main page and you will see there are many options if you plan to expand heating devices or your collection.

I use that thermostat on my quarantine tank for a CHE and a UTH. I currently have a 4 month old baby scaleless corn in there. I have zero complaints.

For my main tanks I use the double/redundant thermostats that Jeff at Boaphile sells. These are on/off thermostats with high sensitivity where as spyder robotics are proportional. Both work fine, IMO. I use the redundant on/off thermostats because of bang for the buck and safety.

$190 from Boaphile for a redundant on/off thermostat that can run 20 heating elements. It's two thermostats in one, each with their own probe. I place the probes together/same spot in the tank or under the tank, and set the main thermostat for X degrees. The backup/secondary thermostat I set for 2F higher. That way, if the main thermostat fails, and worse, fails open, the secondary thermostat will take over and shut down the heating elements. Again, too cool is better than too hot!

2. Reptiles need places to hide and feel secure. HIDES are a must for 90% of species.

3. Substrate is needed.

For humidity purposes, you might want to use some of the moister/water absorbing substrates.

I use printless newspaper in all my tanks and recommend that for quarantine. It's very easy to clean up, but looks crappy and doesn't do much for humidity. My highest humidity animal is my BCI, who likes 65-70% and higher in shed. However, I have no trouble in the Boaphile tanks maintaining that all spring and summer here in CT, and in the winter, a few quick sprays from a water bottle every day or every other day, keeps it where it needs to be.

Quick note: If/when you spray water into a reptile tank. USE HOT/WARM WATER.

Cold or even room temp tap water is too cold and gets colder when sprayed in a fine mist. It will lower temps fast in tanks. No good.

I use hot tap water - 110F or so. When I mist into the tank, it generally comes out in the 80F range. So, I don't have a drastic change in temps, if at all.

4. Cleanliness is very important.

If you use substrate, spot clean and change all substrate every 4-6 weeks, closer to 4 if it's really humid in the tank.

If you use newsprint of paper products, change the paper when there's waste, use a cleaner like F10SC, http://www.reptilebasics.com/F10SC-100ml, and replace the paper.

First snake

If you read up and are dedicated to maintaining proper temps and humidity, I think a BRB is fine. A lot of that has to do with choosing the right enclosure and equipment.

They don't get huge at all, are beautiful animals, and have great temperaments, especially if you work with them from a young age and build trust.

However, and FINALLY, a question! What drew you to a BRB? What are you looking for in a snake?

I love corn snakes, and despite having 7 reptile tanks and 8 reptiles, including a Blue Tonge Skink, Leopard Geckos, a ball python, and a BCI, I have two corn snakes. They are incredibly easy to care for, are very forgiving with husbandry, are beautiful and come in virtually every color/morph you can imagine, get a good size, and eat like clock work.

To me, they are a wonderful first snake and I still have two now even after keeping reptiles for over 20 years. They can also spend their entire life in a 40 gallon tank with a CHE and/or UTH as they don't need high heat or humidity.

Not pushing for a corn snake. I am just explaining that there are many species that are less sensitive to husbandry, can live in a cheaper setup for life, and are wonderful pets.

Either way, we want to help. If it's a BRB you are stuck on, we will help work with you to make that a success.

If you are open to other species, we are happy to discuss that with you too.

Sorry for the long response, but I wanted to be thorough.

Please ask for clarification on anything, or just ask anything that's on your mind. Again, we ultimately want what's best for you and your new addition, whatever that is!

Good luck!
    well, I chose him because he's gorgeous and will be even more beautiful as he gets older. Plus he has such a good tempermant.

ive heard corn snakes are Very active... I don't think I'd enjoy something I'm "chasing around" so to speak... When handling it.

just trying to wrap my mind around the thermostat though is a bit daughnting... How will the Herpastat EZ2 adjust for day and night time temp differences as well as create different temps zones (warm and cold spots) in the tub with only two probes/dials... Wouldn't that take four? Or would I need two thermostats?....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast