Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

3 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rescued Corn Update

Blood work came in - everything is normal except slightly raised kidney values, which could have been due to mild dehydration (or infection of the kidneys) when the sample was taken and elevated white blood cell count (lymphocites) that could indicate either stress response or an underlying infection. I am planning on repeating blood work in 1 month with a blood culture if her white count remains high.

The fecal culture never reached the lab >gerrr< my fault though, labeled it with the wrong lab's code so it was sent elsewhere. Going to get a fresh sample hopefully this weekend since I just fed her last night.
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 08-24-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2018),dakski (08-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Hopefully the fecal is good too...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Rescued Corn Update

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    The fecal culture never reached the lab >gerrr< my fault though, labeled it with the wrong lab's code so it was sent elsewhere. Going to get a fresh sample hopefully this weekend since I just fed her last night.
    SO YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SENT ME POOP IN THE MAIL? LOL Just kidding.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2018),Crowfingers (08-24-2018)

Thanks

Re: Rescued Corn Update - now with pics

Finally got some pictures - this is after 3 meals of 15-20 gram mice at each feeding. (Seems small to me, they make no noticeable lump, but it's the biggest the pet store had and I'm still waiting on my perfect prey order). Second pic highlights why I think she is underweight as my ball does not have such a prominent spine...There is also the possibility that I'm used to looking at the python and am miss reading her body condition :/

Also, any ideas as to morph? Third pic down has more of her in it

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...940/image1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/450442571596955653/484180027034828802/image0.jpg

Last edited by Crowfingers; 08-28-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

pic of head - didn,t edit last post in time

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...8376/image.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Hard to tell if she's underweight.

The first picture makes it look like she is a little, but not so clear from the other ones.

I forgot from the other thread how much she weighs.

My adult male corn, Figment, is about 640G and eats a jumbo/ex-breeder mouse (35-45G) every two weeks. He's 5 and maintaining weight well on this regime.

How often are you feeding?

If she weighs anything close to Figment, and I think I recall she weighs more, and you want to add some weight to her, feed every 7 days at least a 35-45G mouse, or two 15-20G mice.

Corns will almost always take two rodents, especially if they aren't huge meals (each one).

Some people offer rats to larger corns. I tried a weaned rat for Figment once and he was going into shed (which normally doesn't stop him) and he showed no interest.

In general, corns eat mice. If you want to supplement with a rat every now and then, that would be fine, but I both feed and suggest a staple of mice.

I do not feed adults large meals either. Corns and can eat food almost 50% wider than their body. However, as adults, I leave a small lump every 10-14 days. If you want to bulk her up, feed more often, not bigger meals per se.

Anyway, keep us in the loop, and if possible, answer the questions on weight and feeding schedule if you can. I would be weighing her after a couple of poops and before the next meal (as dry as possible) and see if she's gaining weight and how fast.

Thanks
    I think she's just an amelanistic corn snake...& I also cannot tell about her weight from those partial photos. I only feed mice to corn snakes, and I'd not
    recommend feeding something twice their width, just prey that leaves a minimal bump, every 10-14 days as dakski already said. Nice snake....I'm so glad
    she's in good hands now. (or he?)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Her mouse was thawing in the bathroom and she was NOT (very intent on hunting vs sitting still) ok with picture time at the moment. She (or so I'm calling her) was 830 grams, she a bit over 5 ft 3 in ish (hard to measure). I've been feeding a 15-20 g mouse (or two 10-15 g mice) every 6 days, once I get the mice from perfect prey that are hopefully all of similar size I was going to back down to 7-10 days. I figure there's no reason to power feed, If she's under weight she will gain with a steady regimen and if she's good weight hopefully she'll maintain.

I'm going to try and get some good natural light and full body pics this weekends after she's done digesting

Gotta say I've missed colubrid appetites! Still want to get a female pied this year, but I wish I could borrow the corns' feeding response and give it to my male bp sometimes lol
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 08-29-2018 at 12:01 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2018),dakski (08-29-2018)

Thanks

Gotta say I've missed colubrid appetites! Still want to get a female pied this year, but I wish I could borrow the corns' feeding response and give it to my male bp sometimes lol
    I feel your pain...I've kept BPs in the past.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Her mouse was thawing in the bathroom and she was NOT (very intent on hunting vs sitting still) ok with picture time at the moment. She (or so I'm calling her) was 830 grams, she a bit over 5 ft 3 in ish (hard to measure). I've been feeding a 15-20 g mouse (or two 10-15 g mice) every 6 days, once I get the mice from perfect prey that are hopefully all of similar size I was going to back down to 7-10 days. I figure there's no reason to power feed, If she's under weight she will gain with a steady regimen and if she's good weight hopefully she'll maintain.

I'm going to try and get some good natural light and full body pics this weekends after she's done digesting

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I feel your pain...I've kept BPs in the past.

LOL. Yeah, BP's feeding schedule, as in THEIR feeding schedule is a little different than a colubrid like a corn snake.

I've had Figment for about 4 1/2 years and he turns 5 November 13th. He was about 10G when I got him.

He's refused one meal that entire time. That was the time I offered a weaned rat and he was going into shed and showed no interest. He's gobbled down every other meal since day one.

If you want a bigger size and a boid, but don't want food refusal issues, do what I did, get a Boa!

Of course, that's not without it's issues as well. Behira, my female Ghost BCI, will hit the acrylic doors on her tank in anticipation of a juicy rat, whether it's feeding time or not. At feeding time I usually get at least one door hit before I can get the darn rat in there for her to nail.

All fun and games now at about 1,050G, but I am hoping she chills a little as she grows and doesn't need food so badly (growing girl). I imagine it will be scarier when she's 15-20 pounds . Either way, she's predicable and I am more worried about her hurting herself than nailing me.

She is hook trained and once out of the cage is a total puppy dog. Somewhere between a BP and a corn snake. More active than a BP, but not near as much as a corn, and very calm and deliberate.

Having said all that, I love my BP Shayna, and happily have her with winter fasting and some food refusals in summer too. She's an awesome snake and I've learned it's more of an issue for me than for her when she refuses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast