Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

0 members and 2,931 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Leopard Gecko Beginner - Help

Hi there! My younger sibling has been wanting to get a leopard gecko for a while, but we've been getting mixed information about the setup for the terrarium. I have a ball python myself, but I can only offer some very basic advice about heating and humidity. I just need any tips that anyone can offer me from the viewpoint of a gecko owner.

Will they need two hides like most snakes?

If there's anyone that knows, are there notable/drastic differences between the care and keeping of a leopard gecko and a ball python? (other than their diets/sizes, of course).

Just wanted some owner's personal opinions and tips on this, thank you so much!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    2 hides if you have 1 adult gecko housed in a 10 gallon including a humid hide. 3 hides including a humid hide if you use a 20 gallon long. Humid hide plus extra hide on the warm side. The other hide on the cool end.

Same rule about the UTH plus thermostat.

No loose substrate. Papertowels and tiles work.

LG can be tamed faster and settles down quicker than bp. Naturally, bp are shy animals so it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Variety is important. Feed dusted insects of different kinds several times a day.

You can tame your gecko by being patient and let him approach you. Or you can tame it similar to a bp by picking it up and handle it in short sessions. I prefer the 1st option because my gecko seems to respond better that way.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Edit to last post:

Feed once a day, a variety weekly or bi-weekly of insects. Not several times a day.

Thanks

Re: Leopard Gecko Beginner - Help

I recomend The leopard gecko manual if you are a starter to leos. it has expert advice on almost every topic related with leos, including breeding! it even contains some capters on other eyelid geckos, like fat-tails and texas banded lizards. heck, it has chapters on housing collared lizards with leopard geckos