Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

0 members and 2,824 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Flexwatt alone vs. RHP alone - advice/opinions needed!

Sorry, yet another one of these topics, but I'd love some thoughts specific to my situation. I'm pretty certain I'll only need one heat source, plus would like to use my single probe Herpstat. However I've continuously gone back and forth on which to get. Some details:

- 4x2x16" PVC enclosure
    - target temps: 78-80f ambient (for BCI)
    - room temp is usually around 75f
    - I crank up the heat in the winter
    - currently I'm using a 28qt tub with a Zoomed heat pad, and can't quite hold my target temps 24/7 without the hot spot overheating (does PVC hold heat better?). it does get warm enough in sunny afternoons, but is often a few degrees short
    - I'm going for a more naturalistic enclosure with branches, fake plants and natural substrate

So, would you suggest an RHP or Flexwatt? I'll of course spend extra for the RHP if I have to, but I just want to make sure it's the better option?

Thanks

Re: Flexwatt alone vs. RHP alone - advice/opinions needed!

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    Sorry, yet another one of these topics, but I'd love some thoughts specific to my situation. I'm pretty certain I'll only need one heat source, plus would like to use my single probe Herpstat. However I've continuously gone back and forth on which to get. Some details:

- 4x2x16" PVC enclosure
    - target temps: 78-80f ambient (for BCI)
    - room temp is usually around 75f
    - I crank up the heat in the winter
    - currently I'm using a 28qt tub with a Zoomed heat pad, and can't quite hold my target temps 24/7 without the hot spot overheating (does PVC hold heat better?). it does get warm enough in sunny afternoons, but is often a few degrees short
    - I'm going for a more naturalistic enclosure with branches, fake plants and natural substrate

So, would you suggest an RHP or Flexwatt? I'll of course spend extra for the RHP if I have to, but I just want to make sure it's the better option?
    A couple of thoughts since I'm in the same situation. I have the same size pvc enclosure with just an RHP (88 watt). Currently it's empty while my baby BCI is in quarantine; plus I might wait until he puts on size before I move him into the larger enclosure. Regardless, if your going to go with just one heat source, I would hands down go for the RHP. Not only can it create a hot spot but it will create the correct ambients if you have the right size RHP and you spend enough time dialing in the temperatures. Flexwatt will only control the surface temps so you could 'potentially' run into ambient temp as well as cool side surface issues.

I'm curious and a little bit worried about your heat pad overheating the hot spot. Are you using a Thermostat?? If so, I'm not sure how your hot spot is getting any hotter then what you've figured based on your Thermostat setting. For instance, my Tstat in my tub is set to 94 degrees to achieve a surface temp of 88.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (08-24-2018)

Thanks

Thank you for your input! I'm definitely leaning towards the RHP. I'm not confident about having to install one later if the heat tape doesn't cut it, so I would like to play safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I'm curious and a little bit worried about your heat pad overheating the hot spot. Are you using a Thermostat?? If so, I'm not sure how your hot spot is getting any hotter then what you've figured based on your Thermostat setting. For instance, my Tstat in my tub is set to 94 degrees to achieve a surface temp of 88.
    Maybe I worded that a bit strangely - I meant that I can't turn up the heat mat any more to try bringing up the ambient temps, without the hot spot getting too hot (I know UTHs aren't effective at ambients, but it's bringing up mine a couple degrees). I'm using a Herpstat with one probe, which is why I'm trying to stick with one heat source

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    Thank you for your input! I'm definitely leaning towards the RHP. I'm not confident about having to install one later if the heat tape doesn't cut it, so I would like to play safe.

Maybe I worded that a bit strangely - I meant that I can't turn up the heat mat any more to try bringing up the ambient temps, without the hot spot getting too hot (I know UTHs aren't effective at ambients, but it's bringing up mine a couple degrees). I'm using a Herpstat with one probe, which is why I'm trying to stick with one heat source
    Ok, that makes sense. You are correct in that heat mats wont (if only minimally) will affect your ambients. Only room temps, RHPs and CHE lamps will do that.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-24-2018)

Thanks
    I've seen mixed information even on how much RHPs affect ambient temperatures - but they're definitely superior to UTHs in that regard, right?

I remembered that I'm planning to get LEDs for the cage which might raise temps a little bit, but then I also remembered that I can't keep those on at night.... it's probably going to be an RHP for me, I guess!