Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 551

0 members and 551 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Trfu37423 (47)

» Stats

Members: 72,792
Threads: 246,678
Posts: 2,555,453
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, elizabethklorfod
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran rufretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-2017
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    959
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Images: 11

    Pastel clown or killer clown

    When this guy hatched I thought he was killer clown, after his first shed I’m not sure and would like some opinions. So what do you think, is he a pastel clown or killer clown?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

    richardhind1972 (08-23-2018),Ronniex2 (01-18-2022)

  3. #2
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    06-07-2018
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    563
    Thanked 726 Times in 356 Posts
    Images: 5
    I'm still trying to learn all my ball python genetics and there's soooo much overlap and variance in the morphs...So I hope a breeder can correct me if anything.
    But from what I've seen, pastel is one of those genes where it doesn't always display as written. There's a good amount of blushing on the darker patterns and the back of the head is so pale. But it still isn't as light as some killers.

    It could just be a lower quality visual killer. But the only way to be sure is by breeding it out. Obviously the killer would throw all pastels in a clutch.
    If it was my hatching, I would sell it as a high visual pastel clown, possible killer. That way all your bases are covered in case it does indeed just turn out to be a very nice pastel.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-23-2018 at 11:47 AM.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

    AbsoluteApril (08-23-2018),rufretic (08-23-2018)

  5. #3
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-2014
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,080
    Thanks
    2,325
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,296 Posts

    Re: Pastel clown or killer clown

    Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    It could just be a lower quality visual killer. But the only way to be sure is by breeding it out. Obviously the killer would throw all pastels in a clutch.
    If it was my hatching, I would sell it as a high visual pastel clown, possible killer. That way all your bases are covered in case it does indeed just turn out to be a very nice pastel.
    I agree with this.
    It's a tough call.
    ****
    For the Horde!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

    rufretic (08-23-2018)

  7. #4
    BPnet Royalty Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,764
    Thanks
    2,472
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 2,871 Posts

    Re: Pastel clown or killer clown

    Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    When this guy hatched I thought he was killer clown, after his first shed I’m not sure and would like some opinions. So what do you think, is he a pastel clown or killer clown?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is flamin gorgeous !!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    rufretic (08-23-2018)

  9. #5
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-28-2006
    Posts
    24,839
    Thanks
    6,116
    Thanked 20,802 Times in 9,582 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 6
    Pastel Clown
    Deborah Stewart


  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

    Armiyana (08-23-2018),Ronniex2 (01-18-2022),rufretic (08-23-2018)

  11. #6
    BPnet Veteran rufretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-2017
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    959
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Images: 11

    Re: Pastel clown or killer clown

    Thanks everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Pastel Clown
    This is what I was leaning towards but was hoping someone with more experience in clown hatchlings would confirm, so thanks for that Deb.

  12. #7
    BPnet Veteran Ronniex2's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-11-2017
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 73 Times in 53 Posts
    Images: 53

    Re: Pastel clown or killer clown

    So what will we be looking for if it was a super?… I am trying to figure it out for myself… I plan on working with the same project, but I have an adult male super, and trying to figure out what am I looking for to say if he is super or just carrying one gene?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #8
    BPnet Veteran nikkubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-20-2018
    Posts
    1,124
    Thanks
    2,010
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 744 Posts

    Re: Pastel clown or killer clown

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniex2 View Post
    So what will we be looking for if it was a super?… I am trying to figure it out for myself… I plan on working with the same project, but I have an adult male super, and trying to figure out what am I looking for to say if he is super or just carrying one gene?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blushing would likely be so extreme that even the edges didn't look black in most places, but rather a dark grey or even faded line. Head stamp would likely be so extreme that it had very faint dots if anything left of black. Side pattern would be a lot more thinned out, but still somewhat round in clowns instead of blocky, would have smaller and broken up "eyes". Main color should be closer to a pale yellow instead of golden yellow to mustard - though would likely fade somewhat with age like most pastels.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1