Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

2 members and 2,927 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Can you tell us more about the hoarding situation? I'd like to know what that looks like and what kind of person hoards snakes.

My list is getting really long and it's making me self-conscious about being a hoarder (which obviously carries a negative connotation).

Good on you to rehab. Especially something that most people would be hesitant to take on (ATB biteyness).
    Last edited by PiperPython; 08-25-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks
    Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,129 Posts
    So you can own as many snakes as&nbsp; you like, as long as you care for them correctly. Hoarders are described&nbsp; as having so many animals they are unable to properly care for them anymore. Signs of hoarding: Cages full of feces/urine for weeks on end, even months, mold in cages, multiple animals with ongoing stuck shed, sick animals going untreated, injured animals going untreated, skinny undernourished animals, and a lot of times hoarders will not admit to it. Luckily this lady saw what she had become and reached out for help, I was very happy to help her.&nbsp;<br>And thank you! I expected the full personality of an ATB, with the extra defensiveness from being so covered in stuck shed. He got me a couple times while I was running him through the towel to get the shed off, but it was so worth it to see how much more comfortable he looked afterwards
    i-m-snek on tumblr
    Spazhime on reddit
    Hardy Reptiles on facebook

The one and only

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spazhime For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2018),Knowell (08-26-2018),PiperPython (08-26-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Okay, I feel much better haha.

Definitely post more photos!
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Transformation tuesday, ATB.

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    Can you tell us more about the hoarding situation? I'd like to know what that looks like and what kind of person hoards snakes.

My list is getting really long and it's making me self-conscious about being a hoarder (which obviously carries a negative connotation). ....
    People of all ages (& sometimes well-meaning ones too) can get overwhelmed by health issues, loss of income or insufficient time & energy to keep up with their
    animals, all the while being in denial about the situation and letting the animals suffer from lack of food, water, cleanliness, grooming, and/or lack of medical care,
    rather than seeking help for the sake of the animals.

You could have 2 animals or 200: if you're on top of their well-being, keeping up with food/water/health care etc, you're fine. Some really sad stories with animals
    of all kinds (dogs, cats, horses, etc) on shows like Animal Cops of Philadelphia or A. C. of Houston. They usually get called in by concerned neighbors when they see a
    dead dog or a dead horse in the yard, then they find a bunch more in awful condition needing rescued. Sometimes an elderly couple takes in a few stray cats but can't
    afford to spay/neuter, & pretty soon their house is over-run (& trashed!) by 60+ half-wild cats they've produced with endless breeding. Sometimes it happens when
    someone loses their job & gets depressed, not finding another and just unable to cope with the sad reality of needing to part with some or all of their pets for their sake.
    There's also the ones breeding & selling on a massive scale that only care about making money & don't care about taking care of the animals...we often hear about a
    "puppy mill" but it happens with reptiles too. I forget the guy's name (a big name in reptile business) that was busted a few years back for this...a huge warehouse of
    exotics found in horrible shape.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,129 Posts
    ^ What they said!
    So quick update, poor Bullet doesn't realize he can rub fresh sheds off. I gave him a few days after the shed peeled up off his nose, and he didn't even try and get it off. All it took was a quick run through a towel and it all came off. Poor dear, hopefully he learns he can get it off himself. But here he is, freshly shed and brimming with hate for me
    i-m-snek on tumblr
    Spazhime on reddit
    Hardy Reptiles on facebook

The one and only

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spazhime For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-31-2018),Annageckos (10-29-2019),Bogertophis (08-30-2018),dakski (08-30-2018),jmcrook (08-30-2018),richardhind1972 (08-30-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Looking great

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wow, what an amazing-looking snake! I guess he likes to be pampered (ie. let you peel off his shed)? haha!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-30-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks

I love that gray/blue coloration. Beautiful snake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

The difference in someone who is a collector and someone who is a hoarder.

1) Collector knows what they have and provides proper care for the animal. Hoarder is someone who grabs and over time forgets what they have to the point of neglect and caused either by lack of interest any more or ability to keep up with everything.

Which one are you?

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post

My list is getting really long and it's making me self-conscious about being a hoarder (which obviously carries a negative connotation).

Good on you to rehab. Especially something that most people would be hesitant to take on (ATB biteyness).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12