Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,048

1 members and 3,047 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Wink Pet/Breeder Rats for One Snake

Been wanting to keep some rats as pets, and thought they could also feed my snake. If I wanted to do that should it be a breeding pair, or 2 females and 1 male? I only have the one ball python with a healthy appetite, and don’t mind buying more if stock runs low. A surplus might be a problem since I don’t know anyone who’d take them.

Roughly how many does one female produce a year for you guys? And if anyone sells interesting breeds or ASFs in MA/neighboring states, I’d love to know!

(The forum has been so helpful since my dream of having a snake came true. Personally I’m really shy and never post, but wanted to say that this site is the best!)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    How many will you need to feed one BP? It comes down to luck & good care: sometimes rats you buy expecting to breed just aren't very healthy & don't do
    well, as another member found out. Local breeders don't like competition so they may not part with healthy females to pet stores, or they cannot spare them.
    Sometimes you can improve their health with an extra nutritious diet, but not always, so that's where luck comes in too.

Young mom-rats may have a litter of 5, while healthy experienced mom-rats might have litters of 15-16+. They may average about 10, but no way to know, so
    you might want to error on the side of having too many rather than not enough. You can likely sell* any surplus, either as pets or frozen food for snakes. Also,
    rats breed best in mild seasons (spring & fall) and not as well when it's too hot or cold, so it takes some planning. They roughly have a litter per month, and
    it takes time for the babies to grow to the size you need also...how big is your snake? *Keep "selling" in mind & try to pick cuter ones to reproduce...of course,
    then it's harder to feed them too..."can't win". It's also important to hold back a few to replace the mom's...constant reproduction takes a lot out of them.

It bears reminding you that your snake WILL smell your pet rats ON YOU, after you handle them, & possibly in spite of washing your hands. Don't be too
    shocked if your snake bites you in confusion...they trust what they smell way more than what they see, & we also pass the "warm & wiggling" test, lol.

If you get a trio of rats & keep them as a family, most females will help each other taking care of the babies...but there's exceptions, so it helps to have an extra
    cage on hand if they're the type that fight over the babies instead. Rats (including "dad") are generally good, caring parents though.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FireBaby (08-21-2018),Udon (04-10-2020)

Thanks

Re: Pet/Breeder Rats for One Snake

Oh wow thank you for so much information! So much to consider.

My snake is getting close to 500g and takes small rats on the lower weight end. Do you think I should wait until she’s a little bigger?
    The local reptile shop breeds rats so I should probably check them first. Hopefully they don’t think I’ll stop visiting them if I breed my own

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FireBaby View Post
    Oh wow thank you for so much information! So much to consider.

My snake is getting close to 500g and takes small rats on the lower weight end. Do you think I should wait until she’s a little bigger?
    The local reptile shop breeds rats so I should probably check them first. Hopefully they don’t think I’ll stop visiting them if I breed my own
    I'm in MA as well. What local reptile shop do you go to?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'm in MA as well. What local reptile shop do you go to?
    I go to Cold Blooded Pets in Acushnet. It’s small but has a good selection!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FireBaby View Post
    I go to Cold Blooded Pets in Acushnet. It’s small but has a good selection!
    Ah ok. I'm in North Central MA, 10-15 minutes from the NH border. So that's a journey for me. Thanks for the reply

Thanks
    Of course. I messaged them and apparently they have dumbos too! So if anyone’s near there you can find them

Thanks

Breed rats? To feed one snake? It sounds more like you're going to start breeding rats as a hobby in itself as opposed as a way to feed your snake. Which is great. Whatever you're into.

I don't keep any, but as far as I know, rodents are prolific breeders. If you're not careful, I suspect you'll soon be swamped by rats and be selling them to me (I live in MA also).

We all anxious for the next expo in Hanover next month?
    \m/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Yeah, I was just going to add that breeding (any kind) of rodents to feed one (or a few) snakes is probably not cost effective or a good use of your time,
    unless you'll enjoy doing so & have an outlet for excess & inconsistent #'s of offspring. You have the cost of caging and water bottles, the breeders them-
    selves, litter & food to consider...larger operations are just more efficient; also, if you like them enough that the breeders are actually "pets", how will you
    feel about stealing their children to feed snakes...I'm not saying you can't do this, but we're all different & it's better to think about it now, than later.
    Also, do you have a good place to breed the rats? Rodents contribute a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the air you breathe...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (08-21-2018),Sonny1318 (08-21-2018)

Thanks
    Might go to the expo, would be my first!

I have a room with lots of plants that we used to keep birds in, which is on another floor from the snake. It’s gonna be a while before any serious purchase so I’ll start making a list.
    Honestly not excited about feeding their children to my snake, but I thought well it happens with her food anyway. She takes smalls so they’d have a little time, and they could have some fun beforehand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast