Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,185

3 members and 1,182 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Cosmo the cuteness ambassador is teaching them young

While babysitting my niece and nephew, Riley asked to see the snakes (some of you may remember a thread from April where she touched her first snake, Cosmo).
    Well she has been here several times since and has touched all but Juice while I held them. But has not been ready to hold one. Until now!! While Cosmo was out (she always wants Cosmo first) she was petting him and getting "kisses" on her hands (she's so darn cute when his tongue flick "kisses" tickle her) when she put her hands out and asked to hold him!!
    I jumped on the chance to teach her a few do's and dont's and once she understood I gently handed Cosmo over to her. Her smile was instant and priceless. She ended up holding him a few times over the weekend and does surprisingly well with him, especially considering she's 3 years old.

Then, after her first handling session with Cosmo, Riley said "I wanna see a big snake now, a big BIG one!" And raised her arms to full wingspan to show me she meant BIG, hahahaha. Well, since I don't have a big BIG snake, Django (52" 800 gram King) and Tyson (<900 gram BP) would have to do. She takes an interest and has touched them, but is definitely a bit apprehensive still. But she always wants to see them and "pet" them. It's so cool to see her smile when she sees them, and the super focused way she watches them makes her eyes light up.
    I always like to try to work something educational into her visits with the snakes too, keeping in mind she's 3, so trying to make it fun enough to hold her interest. Well this time I had saved Cosmo's last two sheds so I could show them to her and compare the sizes. I was able to teach her about shedding while explaining that just like she grows and needs new clothes, snakes grow and need new skin, because that's their only clothes. When my brother picked her up, asked if she had fun, etc...he commented on the pictures of Riley holding Cosmo and she said she saw his skins too, because "when snakes grow they need to have new skins". I was so impressed that she retained that and found it interesting enough to share with her Dad. Proud Uncle moment right there!!!

My curious nephew, Sawyer, even "touched" his first snake at less than a year old!!

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2018),JodanOrNoDan (08-20-2018),Jus1More (08-20-2018),Kira (08-21-2018),richardhind1972 (08-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Cosmo the cuteness ambassador is teaching them young

Love it! Start them out right and raise them up educated and with love for animals in their hearts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2018),Jus1More (08-20-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Love it! Start them out right and raise them up educated and with love for animals in their hearts.
    Damn straight. I figure if their earliest childhood memories of snakes are positive, at the very least they won't grow up to fear snakes.
    Riley has a dog at home and has been around dogs her whole life, and she definitely seems to be an animal lover already. She adores the ferrets too and loves playing with them when she's here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-20-2018)

Thanks

Good on you Craig! That's awesome that you're setting a good example for the little ones by turning it into a teaching opportunity.

My 4 year old son has told his teachers that Daddy has a python and a boa to which they questioned me if that was true Now, they are asking if I can come and do a presentation for the kids

My 2 year old daughter thinks snakes are 'yuckie' so I have some work to do......
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-20-2018),Jus1More (08-20-2018),richardhind1972 (08-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Your niece and nephew are adorable Craig. Way to teach them young brother. Replace the fear with fascination.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-20-2018),Jus1More (08-20-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Soon enough you'll get help cleaning cages

Kids have no fear too bad too many people teach their kids to be scared of snakes, their should be more encounters like those, they are lucky to have you as an uncle.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-20-2018),Jus1More (08-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    It's all been said already but I'm guessing you can "stand" another "AWESOME!" Craig?

I just did my usual summer out-reach with 3 of my snakes & a friend came with 2 of hers (a boa & BP) to spend 3 hours sharing our love of snakes with
    strangers, adults & children of all ages, that came thru the "Wildlife Expo" at our local fairgrounds. It's very hot here in summer, but mostly this is indoors,
    in their huge building (w/ plenty of A/C) & we were exhibit #1 this year, right inside the front door. No one could miss us, only a few tried. We've done
    this every summer now for four years, and it's so cool that some come back to see & hold the snakes year after year. One gal (younger teen) had her picture
    taken cuddling my huge Florida rat snake & featured online (by the large local feedstore* that organizes this event), & each year she comes back, more of a
    young woman all the time. Others return too, & some say just to visit with us.

*This is a big area for world-class fishing & hunting, a vacation area. They got the idea for a "Wildlife Expo" as a draw for their farm & animal related products
    and many other vendors come to sell, promote and educate, also Fish & Game, Friends of the Rivers, local artists...it's free admission, they have musicians &
    food concessions, and drawings for prizes. It's pretty successful, fyi...in case any of you wants to suggest such a thing to their local businesses???

We may not convince them "all" -but the more we reach, the better the world is for snakes.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-20-2018),Jus1More (08-20-2018),richardhind1972 (08-20-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Great pics Craig, love seeing kids introduced to reptiles early on, makes such a difference knowing that not all are scary, for when they older
    my grandkids are fascinated in my collection

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Good on you Craig! That's awesome that you're setting a good example for the little ones by turning it into a teaching opportunity.

My 4 year old son has told his teachers that Daddy has a python and a boa to which they questioned me if that was true Now, they are asking if I can come and do a presentation for the kids

My 2 year old daughter thinks snakes are 'yuckie' so I have some work to do......
    I guess thinking they're "yuckie" is better than being fearful.
    I think it's cool the school reacted so well after contacting you to see if it was "true", hahahaha. That's one that could have gone the other way and ended with them questioning or scrutinizing your choice in pets.

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Your niece and nephew are adorable Craig. Way to teach them young brother. Replace the fear with fascination.
    Thanks Zig! Although I can't take credit, hahaha! Yup, no fear for these two!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Soon enough you'll get help cleaning cages

Kids have no fear too bad too many people teach their kids to be scared of snakes, their should be more encounters like those, they are lucky to have you as an uncle.
    Thank you Deborah!!
    I'm happy to share my passion with her, and at the very least, she'll grow up thinking snakes are cool, and not fearing them. Hopefully as Sawyer gets a little older he'll show an interest too.

Thats actually a good idea on getting her to help with the enclosure cleaning. Maybe I'll try to plan a future cleaning around her being here. She loves to help with cooking, cleaning, laundry, so why not clean Cosmo's little ten gallon? She would probably like helping and learn a little about the responsibility part of keeping snakes.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-20-2018 at 12:45 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

TOO CUTE for words Craig! Very awesome !!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-20-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast