Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,541

1 members and 2,540 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Somebody help!

Thanks

Somebody help!

Hello people! So my ball python recently pooped 3 times in the last couple days after not going for a whole week. The most recent was just tonight not too long ago. It was with loud farts, then when I went to check, there was what looks to be blood. Idk if this is bad or I'm just panicking.

I have it in a tub, with a uth 88-92.
    The temp in the whole tub is 78-80
    I feed it large arctic mice and it eats every time. The mice are about 19-20g and the BP is 224g.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Somebody help!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTB View Post
    Hello people! So my ball python recently pooped 3 times in the last couple days after not going for a whole week. The most recent was just tonight not too long ago. It was with loud farts, then when I went to check, there was what looks to be blood. Idk if this is bad or I'm just panicking.

I have it in a tub, with a uth 88-92.
    The temp in the whole tub is 78-80
    I feed it large arctic mice and it eats every time. The mice are about 19-20g and the BP is 224g.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

I moved it into a different tub btw. I'm not sure if I should clean this and keep using it or get rid of it.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    Don't panic yet!
    Get a plastic baggie and carefully scoop what you can into it along with the more solid poop. You will want to bring it to the vet for tomorrow. That will be for a parasite check.

Very, very carefully, check the snakes vent. If it was a really big poop, she may have strained a bit. Sometimes a little blood can happen. Check to make sure there is no more bleeding.

If there is anything fleshy sticking out tho... we have a bit more of a complicated mess and the snake will need to see a vet.

As a precaution, keep the snake on damp paper towels for a few days an keep an eye out for any prolapse from the vent or more icky poops.

*edit!!*
    Keep the little poop sample in the fridge overnight
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-18-2018 at 01:32 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (08-18-2018),Bogertophis (08-18-2018),C.Marie (08-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    "...pooped 3 times in the last couple days after not going for a whole week..."?

That's quite frequent...snakes often don't even go on a weekly basis, fyi. It sounds like something is irritating her digestive tract to make her go so often.

It's alarming to find any amount of blood, for sure, but that's not a whole lot of blood at least. You should get her (or him) seen by a reptile vet A.S.A.P. with
    the saved sample. I totally agree with Armiyana's post above. Don't panic, but don't ignore this...bad luck having this happen over the weekend, you might
    not get seen until Monday. (that's the kind of luck I have too...)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-18-2018),fluffykitten (08-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Don't panic yet!
    Get a plastic baggie and carefully scoop what you can into it along with the more solid poop. You will want to bring it to the vet for tomorrow. That will be for a parasite check.

Very, very carefully, check the snakes vent. If it was a really big poop, she may have strained a bit. Sometimes a little blood can happen. Check to make sure there is no more bleeding.

If there is anything fleshy sticking out tho... we have a bit more of a complicated mess and the snake will need to see a vet.

As a precaution, keep the snake on damp paper towels for a few days an keep an eye out for any prolapse from the vent or more icky poops.

*edit!!*
    Keep the little poop sample in the fridge overnight
    Dang. I had just dumped it. Should I try to recover it or wait until the next time it poop?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Recover it if you can...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Recover it if you can...
    Ok, the smaller piece is what I could recover but has Aspen on it. The bigger piece is from a bit earlier before the the farts and blood

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    The bigger poop almost looks only partially digested. Though that could just be me. Phone screens are tiny
    Do you have a temp gun to verify the temps in the tub? How often have you been feeding?

I'd still bag those up and hope the vet can still use it as a sample instead of waiting it out.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-18-2018 at 02:07 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    The bigger poop almost looks only partially digested. Though that could just be me. Phone screens are tiny
    Do you have a temp gun to verify the temps in the tub? How often have you been feeding?

I'd still bag those up and hope the vet can still use it as a sample instead of waiting it out.
    That's what I was thinking too but I wasn't sure & yes I use a temp gun. I feed it every Monday night. Handled it after feeding Thursday night.