Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,715

0 members and 2,715 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: First Live Feed

Thanks

First Live Feed

Well we got our Male BP a week ago tomorrow and had our first successful feed tonight. When we got him last Saturday they said they only feed live. So I picked up a live one at Petco today and gave it a go. I must admit BP are clearly hunters. I put the mouse in as soon as I did he was aware. Stuck his head out the warm hide and just tracked the mouse until the right time. I had no idea they could move that fast it was impressive. After he finished mouse he went right back into the warm hide. So I have been told wait 2 days before doing anything with him. I did have a couple questions one how often should I feed the guy at reptile show said a mouse every 5-6 days

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Yeah they're quick!

How often you should feed and what size prey depends on how big he is right now. How much does he weigh?

Thanks

Re: First Live Feed

If he’s used to getting one mouse, he’s probably still pretty small/young (hopefully anyway). If that’s the case, then a weekly feeding schedule is perfectly fine. If he’s older, you can go to every 10 days or eventually even every 2 weeks when he’s reached his full size. Slow and steady wins the race IMO.

After he gets acclimated and gets a few meals in him, I would work on trying to switch over to F/T m for safety reasons. Rodents have sharp teeth and even though BPs are good hunters, stuff can go wrong and get bad very quickly. There’s a lot of methods for switching over - hopefully you don’t have an issue, but if you do, there’s tons of people here who can give advice on what to do.

Once you’ve got him well established on F/T, I would try to get him off mice and onto rats as soon as you can. They are more nutritious, and eventually, he’s going to get so big that multiple mice will be needed to fill him up which is a pain. So better to switch to rats now and then be able to up the size of the rats as he grows rather than having to feed multiple prey items. If he’s been fed adult mice, you can probably start with either rat pups or weaned rats (depending on the source and the size).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-18-2018),Zincubus (08-18-2018)