Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,245

2 members and 2,243 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Getting A Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Trisnake View Post
    Sounds like you’ve gotten a lot of good advice to help guide your further research! One thing I would encourage that I didn’t see mentioned yet is to check out your local reptile and exotic animal expos!

At these expos you’ll get to meet and network with local reptile enthusiasts, browse hundreds of ball pythons (and other herps) and check them out in person, hold them, get an idea of their health and temperament, ask the breeder any questions in person, etc... vs just looking at pictures on morphmarket and corresponding through email. Plus you’ll have a wider variety of morph options available to you for your price range as there should be no shipping required, and there will be lots of reptile supplies, caging, feeders and so on for lower prices than generally offered in store or online. So TONS of pros, especially if you still need to purchase supplies and caging. Pet stores will generally gouge you pretty good and you’d be surprised at the quality low price options you’ll find at an expo.

I see you’re in Louisiana, I used to live in Lafayette and I’ve heard expos are held at least once yearly there and in Westwego near NOLA, just to name a couple venues. I’m sure there are plenty more though. I hope this helps!!
    Yes, thank you, I'll look into it! It's not my first time being around herps; I am a vet tech major but what you said sounds really cool! I remember the first time I held a ball python a couple years ago - I fell in love!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trisnake View Post
    I would also like to add, that as a university student who helped train service animals for my pre-veterinary society, and who used to run into issues with confused college students claiming their ESA’s are “registered service animals”— there is no official registry for ESA’s. They are all scams. Don’t waste your money on them, if you do plan to have your ball python as an ESA then a doctors note stating why you need the animal for your mental health is the only officially required piece of documentation you will need and any website stating otherwise is out for your money.
    Oh yeah, I apologize I didn't mean spending money on a scam. I should have been more clear, my university just wants me to get a note from my therapist!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Something you should think about, since you're still living in dorms, is your long term living arrangements.

Where will you be living after the dorms? Many apartments don't allow pets, and many that do will not allow exotics. Also, as a young college grad you'll likely need a roommate after graduation. And having a snake will scare off a LOT of potential roommates.

It may be worth waiting until you're well situated with a solid job and place to live. Bet bills aren't cheap and for a college student or recent grad I know money is often tight.

Just some thoughts....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2018),MissterDog (08-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vrp98 View Post
    Animals at my dorms aren't allowed unless they are a service animal or esa! I should have put that, my bad! I have already talked to housing about it and they just told me to get approval from my therapist and of course approval from my roommate (already granted). There is a fumigation fee at the end of the semester ($100 I believe), not sure if it applies to a caged animal or not.
    One more thing, about that "fumigation fee": whether you live in a dorm or any other rental that allows pets, OR any that has any chance of getting "bugs" (which is
    pretty much ALL rentals), when they fumigate a place, they may not take into account any pets living there, especially if it's not typical. The chemicals used are lethal
    to bugs, but also to snakes & other small pets, and you may or may NOT be forewarned to house your pet elsewhere for a few days when this fumigation is done.

Many years ago I shared an apartment while in college. Someone in the building had a cat (that they weren't supposed to have) & that cat's fleas infested the ENTIRE
    building, all apartments. While I was in class one day they came & fumigated the building without any advance warning...I came home to a dead pet hamster. When
    you remember just how much many people dislike snakes, they just might harm your pet intentionally too. Please check & re-check as to whether such spraying might
    happen without warning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Something you should think about, since you're still living in dorms, is your long term living arrangements.

Where will you be living after the dorms? Many apartments don't allow pets, and many that do will not allow exotics. Also, as a young college grad you'll likely need a roommate after graduation. And having a snake will scare off a LOT of potential roommates.

It may be worth waiting until you're well situated with a solid job and place to live. Bet bills aren't cheap and for a college student or recent grad I know money is often tight.

Just some thoughts....
    I go to college in a town an hour away from my parents. I actually still live with my parents when I am not living at my dorm. Once I graduate I will most likely stay with my parents until I find a place that is suitable and allows exotic pets. I have actually called around at different apartments in my college town and the city where my parents live, and most of them allow pets/exotic pets. I have thought about these things and I am not gonna let any obstacles get in my way. I also won't buy my snake until I have enough money saved up for potential vet bills. Speaking of, I am getting a job as a student worker this semester and will probably stay with that job until I graduate. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate your advice.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vrp98 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    One more thing, about that "fumigation fee": whether you live in a dorm or any other rental that allows pets, OR any that has any chance of getting "bugs" (which is
    pretty much ALL rentals), when they fumigate a place, they may not take into account any pets living there, especially if it's not typical. The chemicals used are lethal
    to bugs, but also to snakes & other small pets, and you may or may NOT be forewarned to house your pet elsewhere for a few days when this fumigation is done.

Many years ago I shared an apartment while in college. Someone in the building had a cat (that they weren't supposed to have) & that cat's fleas infested the ENTIRE
    building, all apartments. While I was in class one day they came & fumigated the building without any advance warning...I came home to a dead pet hamster. When
    you remember just how much many people dislike snakes, they just might harm your pet intentionally too. Please check & re-check as to whether such spraying might
    happen without warning.
    The fumigation is done in my dorm/room and is After I move out. Thank you for the warning though.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vrp98 View Post
    I go to college in a town an hour away from my parents. I actually still live with my parents when I am not living at my dorm. Once I graduate I will most likely stay with my parents until I find a place that is suitable and allows exotic pets. I have actually called around at different apartments in my college town and the city where my parents live, and most of them allow pets/exotic pets. I have thought about these things and I am not gonna let any obstacles get in my way. I also won't buy my snake until I have enough money saved up for potential vet bills. Speaking of, I am getting a job as a student worker this semester and will probably stay with that job until I graduate. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate your advice.
    Sounds like you've got some good plans and you've thought ahead. Nice work!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

vrp98 (08-16-2018)

Thanks

I don't think I saw anyone mention Vivarium t-stats? They are not quite as exspensive as a herp stat but still have a very good name in the reptile community! Enjoy your new pet!

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Save your money. That tank is way too big, humidity is difficult to keep up in glass tanks, and any sign of the bp feels stressed about will trigger it not to eat for you, which in turn will stress you out immensely as a first time owner, especially you have anxiety issues. My suggestion would be to get a good eater, easier to care for and docile snake like a corn. You can make mistakes with corn and they are forgiving. Bp's are not so much and for that reason, not a good starter pet. I have bad anxiety myself (Not as bad as most other people so I'm grateful) so watching my first snake, a bp, not eat for 3 weeks was not an easy time for me.

With that said, I would recommend a 6 qt sterilite tub that you can pick up at your local Target or Wal-Mart for less than $6. Then there are the 6 inch plastic flower dishes you can pick up at Home Depot for less than a $1. While you are at Wal-Mart or you can find this at Petco, pick up a small ceramic or glass dish for water. I bought mine at Petco meant for kittens for less than $2. I would skip the substrate for now during the quarantine process but a small bag of aspen, eco earth or cypress mulch can be picked up for less than $10. UTH and thermostat come in different brands. I use Zilla for UTH and different thermostats. Some posters will have their recommendations. You will have to go with what you are comfortable with.

Like the others mentioned, hoppers are too small but stay on it for 2 meals then upgrade to small mouse/rat pinkies.

Make sure this pet will stay with you for the next 20-30 years. The market is flooded with bp's and people are always trying to rehome theirs. XYZ reptiles is not far from where I am and I have seen their stock in person sold by their partner. It is a hit or miss. I do notice they are a little overpriced compared to others.

There are other pets that have less of a long term commitment. A golden hamster is a good one. They sleep during the day while you are in class, wide awake at night, can be handled if you work with it, and less reluctant to bite. They live a short lifespan of about 3 years, 4 or 5 years is rare. But you won't have to worry much about rehoming it after college. The cost of care is very minimal too, a large tub drilled with holes and a homemade mesh top is affordable and preferred over store bought hamster cages.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 08-17-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Save your money. That tank is way too big, humidity is difficult to keep up in glass tanks, and any sign of the bp feels stressed about will trigger it not to eat for you, which in turn will stress you out immensely as a first time owner, especially you have anxiety issues. My suggestion would be to get a good eater, easier to care for and docile snake like a corn. You can make mistakes with corn and they are forgiving. Bp's are not so much and for that reason, not a good starter pet. I have bad anxiety myself (Not as bad as most other people so I'm grateful) so watching my first snake, a bp, not eat for 3 weeks was not an easy time for me.
    I have to whole-heartedly disagree here. First of all, get the snake YOU want. It'll be YOUR snake after all. BPs are honestly not any harder to keep than corns. I've kept both. BPs can be frustrating with their food strikes, but if you understand the animals going in you'll understand it happens. That's what BPs do. They are well equipped to go months without food and have survived thousands of years doing so.
    And as for glass, if you like glass go glass. I started keeping snakes in 1999-2000ish and have used glass the entire time I've been keeping snakes. I just recently bought my first PVC enclosure, but primarily so I can start stacking and consolidate my enclosures rather than have glass enclosures all over the house (plus this makes room for more snakes ). But glass works just fine. It might take a little more effort of the bat, and maybe a few modifications, but it works well. If you want glass, go glass.

Cheesenugget, I mean no disrespect, but I disagree. BPs are the most popular snake in the pet trade for a reason. They really aren't difficult to care for. And I've had years of success with using glass. It takes a little effort, but I'm happy to put in the effort for my pets.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kira (08-17-2018),Knowell (08-17-2018),MissterDog (08-17-2018),redshepherd (08-17-2018),vrp98 (08-17-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast