Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,036

1 members and 3,035 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Experiences with Hog Island Boas

I am getting a pair(m/f) of pure Hog Island Boas soon.

I am getting mine for a couple of reasons -
    - 1. I like the looks of the pure hog island boa.
    - 2. I like the reported temperament of hog islands
    - 3. I like the fact that hog island boas won't get more than 7 feet - like we see with Columbian Bci or the Bccs .

I would like to hear from other keepers on their personal experiences with the Hog Island Boas. Positives or negatives.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (08-15-2018),richardhind1972 (08-15-2018)

Thanks

Re: Experiences with Hog Island Boas

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    I am getting a pair(m/f) of pure Hog Island Boas soon.

I am getting mine for a couple of reasons -
    - 1. I like the looks of the pure hog island boa.
    - 2. I like the reported temperament of hog islands
    - 3. I like the fact that hog island boas won't get more than 7 feet - like we see with Columbian Bci or the Bccs .

I would like to hear from other keepers on their personal experiences with the Hog Island Boas. Positives or negatives.
    I have two hogs, though one is a mix.

My mix is named Effy, and shes the sweetedt gosh darned thing ever. Shes 4 feet, 5 max. The moment we open her enclosure she pops up and Loves coming out to explore. Never misses a meal, easy to handlw easy to just enjoy. The kida handle her with no issues ever, shes never even balked or shied away from any of us.

Katniss on the other hand... shes a pure hog. We got her when she was 3 months old. Shes gorgeous, she is. She started off easy to handle (mind you, we handle frequently, every snake we have, from our hognoses, to the kingsnake, to the boas and the balls and our retic). Katniss lately though has been a sour guss. She hisses she strikes she wags her tail angrily, she opens her mouth and exhales heavily to intimidate us. Shes never been like this, no changes to enclosure no changes to husbandry, she eats every week, shes not going into shed, vet said shes as healthy as they come though. Captive bred baby. Her sister however is the sweetest thing (i know because my friends the breeder ans kept her sister as a holdback), so i dont know if its the earthquakes happening around us lately or what. I know my dogs and horses act way differently when a quake is about to hit and a few days after it hits so maybe snakes react too.

Either way, they are great snakes and Effy has been a major part of our youngsters learning to enjoy and respect these animals.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potatoren For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (08-15-2018),richardhind1972 (08-15-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi KRJ... I currently have 2 Hypo Hog Island Boa's that are sisters from different litters. The dad is a hypo central american boa and the mom is a hog island boa. My oldest girl "Raina" is very sweet and calm as can be. She likes exploring when she is out and after about 15 mins she chills in my lap. My other girl "Zarah" is also just as sweet and calm, but not as curious when she is out and just loves chillin. Both girls are my queens and never cause any problems of hissing or show any aggression. But of course at feeding time like any snake, they are hyped up and ready to eat. There was only one time my oldest hissed at me and struck at me but it was my fault it happened.
    Anyways, that's my input of hog island boa's. They are absolutely worth getting and a pleasure to have in ones collection. Good luck and post pictures when you get yours.
    Last edited by Jus1More; 08-15-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks
    Actually - I got them in this week. They are about 20-22 inches in length.

I have already held them both for about a minute or two(don't want to stress them out to much) to do a basic inspection. They are pretty laid back, easy-going and docile.

And today I actual feed them F/T fuzzy "crawler" mice. They had been taking live fuzzy/crawler mice. But I just had F/T - so I heated the mice to about the same as the normal body temps for mice 99-100 F. Then wiggled them in front of the snakes for a minute or two. They both ate them just fine - I watched them as they ate the mice.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (08-18-2018),richardhind1972 (08-18-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Glad they both ate for you

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Actually - I got them in this week. They are about 20-22 inches in length.

I have already held them both for about a minute or two(don't want to stress them out to much) to do a basic inspection. They are pretty laid back, easy-going and docile.

And today I actual feed them F/T fuzzy "crawler" mice. They had been taking live fuzzy/crawler mice. But I just had F/T - so I heated the mice to about the same as the normal body temps for mice 99-100 F. Then wiggled them in front of the snakes for a minute or two. They both ate them just fine - I watched them as they ate the mice.
    Congrats my friend!!! PICTURES PLEASE.... but no rush! Let them settle before anything else.

Thanks
    Sorry about the delay in pictures. But I haven't figured out how to post pics my computer or photo gallery on this forum - using an attachment, instead using a URL link on this site.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Sorry about the delay in pictures. But I haven't figured out how to post pics my computer or photo gallery on this forum - using an attachment, instead using a URL link on this site.
    Simplest way is to download and use the free version of TapaTalk.

The app hosts all the main forums and has a simple photo upload option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk