Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,127

1 members and 3,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Dwarf & Half Dwarf Burmese Pythons

I have been researching the differences between pure Dwarf Burms (P.b.progschai) and the Half (50%) Dwarf Burms.

I know from personally experience that the F1-F2 pure Dwarfs are very defensive, and nippy especially as juveniles. Although I have had mine for a year now - they are still very much that way. I am hoping they will tame down some as they grow and get use to me.

I have heard that Half Dwarfs tend to have a temperament more like that of mainland burms - in that they can become puppy tame with regular handling. I have also heard that F3 or later generations of pure dwarfs are also easier to claim down.

The main reason I got the pure Dwarfs - is that I want a smaller Burm that is "puppy tame" or at least regularly handle without it attempting to bite me. I am considering getting a Half Dwarf - to have as pet Burm for now. But I never plan on breeding it to pure dwarfs. Eventually I would love to get or breed some F3 or F4 pure Dwarfs. But I have also been recently thinking about eventually maybe breeding the hypo/ivory morphs of the half Dwarf Burms, as well.

I would love to hear about other keepers experiences which either the pure Dwarf Burms or the Half Dwarf Burms.

Thanks
    I have also heard that F2 Half Dwarfs tend to average only about 1 foot(30 cm) larger than average sized pure Dwarfs.

I am not sure if it true or not - but I am very interested in finding out.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Dwarf & Half Dwarf Burmese Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    I have also heard that F2 Half Dwarfs tend to average only about 1 foot(30 cm) larger than average sized pure Dwarfs.

I am not sure if it true or not - but I am very interested in finding out.
    I've heard that and also that the temperament between half dwarfs and full dwarfs is vastly different.

Very limited information out there on either full or half dwarfs? All the links I found for dwarf Burmese for sale were old.

Not legal in CT anyway, unless produced in state. I'll keep enjoying my female BCI!

Thanks
    Not legal in CT anyway, unless produced in state.
    Why? Because of a state or county/city law or iis because of the Lacey Act? If it the Lacey Act - that was overturned last year(April, 2017) by US superior court. The court ruled with USARK - in that the prohibiting interstate trafficking of large constrictors(non-native species) was an illegal usage of the Lacey Act(which was designed to protect native endangered species). So it is now perfectly legal to get retics and burms out state(so long as your state/local laws allow it.

I actually got my pair of pure dwarfs from Bob Clark in September, 2017.

I've heard that and also that the temperament between half dwarfs and full dwarfs is vastly different.
    Well - I have heard that infamous temperament of the pure Dwarfs really only really applies to the first two CB generations from WC stock. My are F1/F2 - so they still have the infamous temperament, even though I have been attempting to tame them for many months. The F3 pure dwarfs tend to have a much better temperament - more like that of the half dwarfs & mainland burms. Which is to say they may be a bit defensive as very young juveniles - but that they also tend tamed down fairly quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Dwarf & Half Dwarf Burmese Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    Why? Because of a state or county/city law or iis because of the Lacey Act? If it the Lacey Act - that was overturned last year(April, 2017) by US superior court. The court ruled with USARK - in that the prohibiting interstate trafficking of large constrictors(non-native species) was an illegal usage of the Lacey Act(which was designed to protect native endangered species). So it is now perfectly legal to get retics and burms out state(so long as your state/local laws allow it.

I actually got my pair of pure dwarfs from Bob Clark in September, 2017.

Well - I have heard that infamous temperament of the pure Dwarfs really only really applies to the first two CB generations from WC stock. My are F1/F2 - so they still have the infamous temperament, even though I have been attempting to tame them for many months. The F3 pure dwarfs tend to have a much better temperament - more like that of the half dwarfs & mainland burms. Which is to say they may be a bit defensive as very young juveniles - but that they also tend tamed down fairly quickly.
    I believe it is CT law, but I will investigate. No retics either , even dwarf.

Haven't really investigated who's selling them too much, but when I looked, couldn't find much.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Law for CT:
    https://www.animallaw.info/administr...-birds-mammals

I found the info for retics and other python species but not burms were not on it, unless they were added to the "Category 2" list in the last year.

Thanks
    Yeah - I doesn't seem to say Burmese Pythons directly. However given that Retics, African rocks and Anacondas are on the list - I would think that Burms would be included as well.

Thanks
    Some state/local laws on keeping exotic animals - just really suck.

But others are actually are written using a bit more common sense, which are usually much better for private owners.

An example of one of those - is the law which Charlotte, NC. has. It states that any nonvenomous reptile over 50 lbs(average adult weight) is illegal to own/possess(venomous reptile are completely illegal with a permit/license). While it may do basically the same thing that Connecticut's law does. There some key differences, as under the Charlotte law - it is still perfectly legal to own/possess a half dwarf/pure Dwarf Burm, or a dwarf/superdwarf retic. Because those sub-species tend to stay under the 50 lbs weight limit.