Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

0 members and 3,143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

incubator question ?

So this year I have been using a Repti-bator incubator but the problem is I have two clutches in egg boxes inside and that all that’s it’s going to hold. I have one more clutch coming and my 1st clutch is due to hatch in 5 or so days. To be on the safe side I made a new incubator out of an old mini fridge. I am using 6 inch heat tape and it currently has two racks. I mocked up two egg boxes to see what temps they are. The top rack is holding at 90 and the second is at 88. If I drop the thermostat temp then I get 88 on the top and 87 on the 2nd rack. Since both of these temps are in the range of the normal incubating temps. Should I add a fan or just leave it?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    One degree on the low side is fine in my world. I would try to fill the empty spots in the fridge with containers of water. The more mass that you have in there the easier it will be to have consistent temps. I would not introduce a fan unless I had to. I use large igloo coolers for incubators. The first one I built I put a fan in, but never had to turn it on. The taller the incubator is the more likely you will need a fan, however, like I said, get some mass in there and it may even out.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks

Re: incubator question ?

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    One degree on the low side is fine in my world. I would try to fill the empty spots in the fridge with containers of water. The more mass that you have in there the easier it will be to have consistent temps. I would not introduce a fan unless I had to. I use large igloo coolers for incubators. The first one I built I put a fan in, but never had to turn it on. The taller the incubator is the more likely you will need a fan, however, like I said, get some mass in there and it may even out.
    Thank you for the reply,
    I will add the water bottles tonight and see what happens. I was thinking that the small difference in temp would not justify adding a fan. it is a small fridge and can only hold 6- 6qt egg tubs. After this season i will mock it with 6 tubs and see how the temps look, so i can be ready for next year.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Water bottles help out to stabilize temps a lot.
    Being that close I wouldn't worry about a fan