Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,179

2 members and 2,177 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Fluorescent lights

So I ordered an AP cage (animal plastics) which is projected to be here mid September. I added the fluorescent light option to come with the cage. My question is does anyone know if the lights they supply come with an on off switch? And are the bulbs easily replaceable? Also are these lights uvb lights and are they safe? And do they give off any heat at all?

I'm using this for a ball python and although most will agree they don't need uvb light it doesn't mean they can't benefit. A friend of mine did an experimentv using his ball pythons he had some with uvb set up and some without and saw benefits in their color. And scale health.

I guess I should also ask if you have a AP cage with the fluorescent add-on did you see any benefits?

Thanks!
    Proud owner of a Black Pastel Mojave baby boy

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I've never used APs so I can't answer all your questions, but I'm "sure" there's got to be an on-off switch. Fluorescent lights DO give off a little heat...
    nowhere near as much as incandescent lights, but in a cage (without a lot of ventilation) it will add up. UVB lights are more expensive, so I'm sure they'd
    be advertising them IF that's what they're including...so I wouldn't expect UVB lights to come with it. Most snakes don't like bright lights either. Many use
    installed lights just short-term to temporarily display their pet, or while cleaning the cage. Not sure if UVB lights are any different now than when I used to
    use them (it's been a while), but they had to be replaced after about 6 mos. even though still functioning, as the UVB output diminishes in time. A better
    option (IMO) is to take your snake outside for some real sun...temperatures permitting & only being held, NEVER leave in a cage (they can over-heat & die
    of sun stroke). I don't notice any color change, but I do notice appetite improvement (for those needing it). And some get a little feisty, though it's more
    noticeable in lizards- some of them get aggressive. Just an occasional excursion outside for real sun will do more for a snake (IMO) than a UVB light, & I'm
    talking only about a 15-20 minute stroll, & just occasionally- not daily or even weekly.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-14-2018 at 11:47 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zuri Indigo (08-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Fluorescent lights

While I have not had fluorescent lights in any of my AP cages, I did have one in my Boaphile. It is soooo lame compared to LEDs.

I pulled it out and installed LEDs. 10 Times better! It’s brighter and lights up the WHOLE cage. It makes a HUGE difference when cleaning. I have LEDs in all 9 of my cages, and think it is the only way to go.

Do do yourself a favor and call Ali back at AP and change that option. She won’t mind at all.

Now with AP you can get any color lighting that you want, as long as it is white or red.
    Those other colors in the pic are Not AP LEDs.
    Last edited by Reinz; 08-14-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-15-2018),Zuri Indigo (08-14-2018)

Thanks

Re: Fluorescent lights

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    While I have not had fluorescent lights in any of my AP cages, I did have one in my Boaphile. It is soooo lame compared to LEDs.

I pulled it out and installed LEDs. 10 Times better! It’s brighter and lights up the WHOLE cage. It makes a HUGE difference when cleaning. I have LEDs in all 9 of my cages, and think it is the only way to go.

Do do yourself a favor and call Ali back at AP and change that option. She won’t mind at all.

Now with AP you can get any color lighting that you want, as long as it is white or red.
    I got the red led as well. I thought the flourescent lights automatically just meant uvb. I'm only just now realizing that may not be the case. So I'm going to call her asap and cancel it.

Thank you so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zuri Indigo For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-15-2018)

Thanks

Also do you think I should have gotten the shelf option?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've never used APs so I can't answer all your questions, but I'm "sure" there's got to be an on-off switch. Fluorescent lights DO give off a little heat...
    nowhere near as much as incandescent lights, but in a cage (without a lot of ventilation) it will add up. UVB lights are more expensive, so I'm sure they'd
    be advertising them IF that's what they're including...so I wouldn't expect UVB lights to come with it. Most snakes don't like bright lights either. Many use
    installed lights just short-term to temporarily display their pet, or while cleaning the cage. Not sure if UVB lights are any different now than when I used to
    use them (it's been a while), but they had to be replaced after about 6 mos. even though still functioning, as the UVB output diminishes in time. A better
    option (IMO) is to take your snake outside for some real sun...temperatures permitting & only being held, NEVER leave in a cage (they can over-heat & die
    of sun stroke). I don't notice any color change, but I do notice appetite improvement (for those needing it). And some get a little feisty, though it's more
    noticeable in lizards- some of them get aggressive. Just an occasional excursion outside for real sun will do more for a snake (IMO) than a UVB light, & I'm
    talking only about a 15-20 minute stroll, & just occasionally- not daily or even weekly.
    Ok thanks for the info.

I've tried taking my BP outside but he gets so stressed about it. I have tried twice in the 7 months I've had him.
    I just carry him close to my body and securely. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks

Oh and hey where did you get your LEDs? I saw that the ap led is 10mm or 8mm I can't remember but I do remember it's hard to find.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri Indigo View Post
    Also do you think I should have gotten the shelf option?

I like the shelf option, and the snakes that have shelves use them quite a bit. I won’t order an AP without them.

In fact, I like the shelves so much, I ordered shelves for two T-25s that were already built without them. And they were a major pain to install after the fact.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Zuri Indigo (08-15-2018)

Thanks
    I got my 10mm LEDs on Amazon. There are tons of choices. But I prefer to have them already installed by AP, just less work for me.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Zuri Indigo (08-15-2018)

Thanks

I got my 10mm LEDs on Amazon. There are tons of choices. But I prefer to have them already installed by AP, just less work for me.
    Awesome thanks!
    Guess I have to call Ali first thing in the morning