Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,950

2 members and 2,948 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Re: Made a Custom AP Split Level Condo

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The closet rods I have around are coated but that's a good point about the kind of wood. I wouldn't worry too much about pine but it's not very strong
    compared to other kinds of wood, I didn't think they used pine for closet rods? I can't tell from the wood grain what mine are but some sort of hard wood
    I'd have to assume.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_woods
    I had a hard time determining what the rods were made up of as well, so I went to local lumber yard and asked them. They told me that they only had access to pine, but knew of cedar. They said that there may be other kinds, but they were not aware of them.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    The closet rods here have been "around a while" (as in, years- this isn't a new house) & from their weight & feel, are hard wood of some kind.
    I haven't shopped for additional ones, as far as what's currently available...good point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Thank you Boger

Closest rods do work well. I have some in a few of my other cages. One thing to keep in mind, I’m not sure if they can be found in anything other than pine or cedar. I used pine, but I stained them just as a precaution. I know the pine thing is controversial and all about phenols, oil, blah ,blah. Also it’s just a bit more work and expense.

What I like about the timber stakes is that they are 3/4-1 inch larger in diameter and they are more natural looking. For me, I will stay with the stakes for future cages.

add: I was going to show a pic of my stained perches, but Tapatalk would not let me edit for some reason.

Wait isn't pine bad to use? That's why I've been so sick trying to figure it out. I love the idea of wooden closet rods. But everyone keeps telling me avoid pine with ball pythons. And ceder as well I thought. I'm not sure about the ceder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud owner of a Black Pastel Mojave baby boy

Thanks

Made a Custom AP Split Level Condo

Reinz, I love what you did with this enclosure...but who cares about my opinion? What counts is that your snake loves it! Great job!

Zuri Indigo: what about a wooden closet rod? Nice diameter, super sturdy, & you could add "texture" to it. Home improvement store will cut to length for you.
    If you were nearby, I actually have a spare one in my garage, lol.
    (Re: "Where did you find the wood perch that you have a cross the whole length resting on the v bracket? I have been looking low and high for a branch to use. I don't have the space to clean one or property to cut my own. Just hoping for a suggestion.")

Thanks it's a really good idea. Did anyone know if they have some that aren't pine? Closet rods are such a good idea but I don't want to hurt the little noodle. What did you mean by add texture like carving? Or sanding it?

Are you in the US?

Last edited by Zuri Indigo; 08-16-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks

REINZ!!! What an ingenious idea. Your setups look fantastic! I will also hop on the bandwagon of sky-hide love.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Reinz (08-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri Indigo View Post
    Thanks it's a really good idea. Did anyone know if they have some that aren't pine? Closet rods are such a good idea but I don't want to hurt the little noodle. What did you mean by add texture like carving? Or sanding it?

Are you in the US? ...
    Yes, I'm in the U.S. The reason I have an extra closet rod in my garage is that it came home with me from a garage sale. It's not pine, it's some kind of hard wood.
    (too heavy to be pine!) Some people remodel their closets & go with wire shelving...you could also try a free "want ad" locally. Older houses have hard wood rods...

Also, even a pine rod could be made safe by coating with non- or low-VOC polyurethane or water-proofing (from hardware store). Once dry, the wood won't be absorbing
    "cage dirt" either. That's a health benefit.

Texture: you could wrap it with rope (or something else) & secure it (keep in mind rope would get dirty in time but could be replaced), or you could beat up ("distress")
    the surface using a saw or drill or whatever to add some irregular damage* like grooves...and then coat (seal) the wood.(*obviously, don't leave any splinters sticking out)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (08-16-2018),Zuri Indigo (08-16-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Looks fantastic! well done!
    For the Horde!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Reinz (08-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That is so rad!
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

Reinz (08-16-2018)

Thanks

Made a Custom AP Split Level Condo

Yes, I'm in the U.S. The reason I have an extra closet rod in my garage is that it came home with me from a garage sale. It's not pine, it's some kind of hard wood.
    (too heavy to be pine!) Some people remodel their closets & go with wire shelving...you could also try a free "want ad" locally. Older houses have hard wood rods...

Also, even a pine rod could be made safe by coating with non- or low-VOC polyurethane or water-proofing (from hardware store). Once dry, the wood won't be absorbing
    "cage dirt" either. That's a health benefit.

Texture: you could wrap it with rope (or something else) & secure it (keep in mind rope would get dirty in time but could be replaced), or you could beat up ("distress")
    the surface using a saw or drill or whatever to add some irregular damage* like grooves...and then coat (seal) the wood.(*obviously, don't leave any splinters sticking out)
    Oh man that's good advice and it made my day! You all are so incredibly knowledgeable and I'm so grateful to have found this little community of fellow reptile lovers. This is amazing! Thank you so much for the amazing ideas Boger!

And thanks Reinz as well. You're both amazing!
    Last edited by Zuri Indigo; 08-16-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123