Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

1 members and 2,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My Five Lined Dumpy Family

There will not be any update tonight as I am working on the video for the next Swarms Battle and possibly other videos! I'll have an update tomorrow for sure and possibly a video!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I saved lives of some frogs this week...

With Hurricane Florence hitting the Carolinas I thought of how the new frog and a surprise I've been hiding from you all were actually spared from having to experience the hurricane. The Squirrel Tree Frog is safe living in the Skink Dynasty and I am working on getting the tank done by Thanksgiving.

I have a surprise for you all. My relatives gave me some tadpoles from their pond in Charlotte NC. The tadpoles are turning into little frogs which I assumed to be tree frogs of some type. I was correct and there are a few starting to lose their tails. I am unsure of what type of frog species it would be. It's between Green Tree Frogs, Cope's Gray Tree Frogs, some Chorus Frogs possibly so if anyone knows which tree frogs near the Charlotte area have been breeding from August to now I would appreciate your comment!

I'll have more updates about the little surprise tadpoles sometime soon.

Thanks

Some if the updates...

I was feeding my Skinks and I put some recently dead crickets in the enclosure thinking the Snails and Millipedes would eat them. I look in after five minutes and I see the male skink eating the dead crickets and he ate them all! I couldn't believe this! I didn't think Skinks would do that. He really impressed me with doing this. I am happy to say that I am going to move in the same direction as the Dumpy Family and get an Exo Terra Terrarium for them. The 36x18x24 will be the new Skink Dynasty. This will be more accessible for maintenance and will be much better in ease of care for me and the Skinks. Florence (Squirrel Tree Frog) looks plump and seems comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting him a mate in the spring. They are a beautiful frog.
    When I get the new terrarium I'll give updates on what is going on!

The Dumpy Family is getting ready for their showdown with my Gray Tree Frogs of the New PA Woods Vivarium on Thanksgiving Day. Max has been eating a lot and is plump. Jeremiah and Spurgeon are doing great but still are shy. The Dumpy Family is the most complete enclosure at this point with how close it is to being finished in the major building. Fin is doing great but been hiding and exploring the back of the enclosure.

I think around the end of winter both enclosures will be finished and which will be really exciting!

The next update is coming on Thanksgiving! Be ready to watch who wins the Whites Tree Frogs vs Gray Tree Frogs.

Thanks

We are close to Thanksgiving and I have completed the Gray Tree Frog part of the video. I'm working on finishing touches for the Whites Tree Frogs. I want to have close to equal screen time.

This video looks like it's coming down to the two animals pictured in the faceoff picture. Max and Bane. They are seemingly going to get a lot of camera time.

The categories that you can vote for are these:
    1)Better Hunter
    2)Best Vivarium
    3)Most Exciting/Informative

The Dumpy Family will have a good showing in this video. I am excited for Thursday and I hope you are!

Thanks

Thanks again to everybody who voted for the 3 categories of the video. I wrote a longer post about the Thanksgiving Special Video in the Gray Tree Frog Thread.

My goal for the Dumpy Family is to get Jeremiah more comfortable with people. When I got him at a reptile expo he was happy that I got him but he had sores on his nose that he recovered from and I think he must have had a bad experience with people. My goal is to get him ready for another video soon for the Dumpy Family.
    I also didn't show how incredible Max is as a hunter. She just crushes prey with her size and strength. I think you will want to see her hunt in a video sometime soon. I am going to get the Five Lined Dumpy Family Exo Terra Foggers to go with their Exo Terra Terrariums. I want to get some lucky bamboo for the Dumpy Family and some substrate in the water for Fin and the plants. Those are the slight changes to the Dumpy Family.

As for the Skink Dynasty they have come out to feed more and are becoming more comfortable with people. I have two pets I never saw eat before and they are both in this ecosystem. The Skink Dynasty is going to get a nice 36x18x24 terrarium and I'm going to try to get their enclosure set up so we can begin a series for the exotic animals. The Snails and Millipedes are all doing great and Florence the Squirrel Tree Frog is doing good. He's so funny how he comes out at random times and he just watches the larger insects. I think he's amazed that they are so big. An update is long over due for the Skink Dynasty and an update video is also long over due. We will have to work on that. I think around January to March will be the stride of the exotic animals videos.

What do you want to see the Skinks and White's Tree Frogs hunt in a feeding video?

Are you excited to see Pharaoh the Male Skink and Florence the Squirrel Tree Frog and all the members of the Skink Dynasty?

Would you want to see the Skink Dynasty included in next year's Thanksgiving Special?

Should we do another holiday special?

Thanks

The largest feast ever for any animals...

So I bout Repti Worms and fed what I thought to be most to my toads, but I was very, very wrong. I began seeing a few Black Soldier Flies surface and thought it would be very nice to document the Gray Tree Frogs hunting the Black Soldier Fly. So I fed what again I thought to be all the Flies to the Gray Tree Frogs, but again I was wrong. Today as I woke up I noticed nearly 50+ Black Soldier Flies buzzing around and I knew the Gray Tree Frogs were not going to be able to handle the onslaught of a true Swarm of the Black Soldier Flies. So I needed to go to my largest arboreal species the Dumpy Family. I thought it would be great to see how the third largest tree frogs would fair against a swarm. It was 3 vs 50+. You may be wondering why would I allow just 3 frogs to attempt this? The answer was my toads would not be able to catch the flies if the flew to the top and the Gray Tree Frogs got a feast the previous day. You may be wondering why the Skink Dynasty was not called on for this battle to try to help the Dumpy Family. The reason is because I thought the Flies would escape their current enclosure. Once I get a terrarium for the Skink Dynasty they will be included in these battles.

So it was down to 3. Jeremiah was still shy and ate maybe 5-8 so it was really down to two. I have not seen Max this ferocious in years. This brought out the hunter in her and Spurgeon pushed he to the limit. Max ate most by far. She wiped out nearly 20+ on her own. These flies don't have a defense mechanism and are small so it's like feeding medium sized crickets to the Dumpy Family and I was keeping them on a leash not feeding them as much as they wanted. So today I allowed them to eat as much as they could. Max was picking them off as fast as 3 in a span of 10 seconds. Spurgeon was acting like he was starved and he and Max would lunge at one another out of aggression and to try to catch the next fly. I heard a rare distress call come from Max and if you know anything about frogs the females usually are silent. The Whites Tree Frogs are an exception as the female can make noises. She made them today as she saw Spurgeon catching her flies. She leaped right on him and grabbed his arm with her mouth trying to send a message. He didn't care and both kept eating.

So who would win? Would the Black Soldier Flies Swarm fill up the Dumpy Family and their numbers prove to be too great?

Or would the 2 members of the Dumpy Family overcome being outnumbered massively and defeat this invading Swarm?

Both happened.
    There were maybe 10 of the Swarm of the Black Soldier Flies left and I saw Max and Spurgeon stop pursuing them. They decimated the swarm and left few for leftovers as I'm sure they probably ate more as I've been at work tonight.

The good news is that I got all of the encounters on my camera. So what do you think? Do you want to see the Dumpy Family team up with the Gray Tree Frogs for the next Holiday Special in the final Swarms Battle of 2018?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

Pengil (11-25-2018)

Thanks

The State of the Five Lined Dumpy Family Address...

You have seen the Dumpy Family more towards the end of 2018 and they will continue to be a big contributor to the YouTube Channel. The Dumpy Family doesn't have too much to update in their enclosure as it's more of doing maintenance.

The Skink Dynasty is waiting patiently for the purchase of their home. I have been busy tending to a serious problem one of my toads has been suffering with and have expensive vet bills. Once I get some of the bills down I can begin saving for this terrarium. They will have the 36x18x24 Exo Terra Terrarium which is the same size as the Dumpy Family just different dimensions. I will be purchasing a Biopod for my Gray Tree Frogs and if I am impressed by it then I may eventually give the Skink Dynasty a Biopod. But for now they are looking forward to an Exo Terra Terrarium. So Skink Dynasty may be welcoming in some new inhabitants. I'll leave that out for now. The Skink Dynasty is going to become a feature enclosure once completed and will complete the exotics side of the PA Woods Vivariums! Coming soon! Maybe we can have an update on the Five Lined Dumpy Family soon. What do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Way cool, thanks for sharing!
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (01-05-2019)

Thanks

The Rise of the Skink Dynasty!

This week welcomed the enclosure for the Skink Dynasty and it has been getting built throughout the week. I caught over half of the inhabitants. Pharaoh the male skink, a millipede, the snails and their offspring and Florence the Squirrel Tree Frog. I am still looking for more millipedes and the female skinks. I am pleased to say a lot of the build is finished and you will be able to observe the animals more so we will be able to actually document the Skink Dynasty and their civilization. I will actually be looking into getting a pyramid and some decorations for them to give you the theme of Pharaoh being the leader and paying him and his family homage.

The Skink Dynasty will be a feature in the new video coming out which will talk about just about all of the channel!

The Dumpy Family has been doing well. They are operating usual which is good because I haven't had as much luck lately with animals being normal.

So I am considering a few more inhabitants to the Skink Dynasty but I'm not sure just yet. I am excited to finally feature them and to show you how cool this ecosystem is. This houses my Autumn Brilliance Fern which is going on 5 years old in captivity. It's the center of the Skink Dynasty. It represents mother Earth. It's massive! I am very excited to finally give the exotic side of the channel more coverage. Maybe we will see Chi Chi the Chinchilla and Lolita the Bunny make an appearance.

Many people wanted to see a Southern Woods and I have not designated where it comes from but it is indeed my take on a southern woods. It's more focused around the east coast between North Carolina through Georgia. The Skinks come from the southern coast and so does the squirrel tree frog. The one I caught was 800 yards from the ocean! So they overlap!

What do you want to see? I'm pretty sure nobody has documented Southeastern Five Lined Skinks or Squirrel Tree Frogs eating or in a vivarium so this can be a breakthrough for people looking to see how to keep both species. I am excited to hopefully tap into these audiences. Both species are overlooked and are very interesting in their own right.

Do you want me to try and catch them eating?

What are you looking forward to seeing the most with a now unified Five Lined Dumpy Family?

Do you want to see the Gray Army join the exotic side of the channel?

What are you looking forward to hearing in the next video?

Last edited by AAronCap; 01-12-2019 at 02:47 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

Pengil (01-12-2019)

Thanks

The Skink Dynasty is on the horizon...

There is still some work to finish on the Skink of but it is very habitable and is more of a nocturnal setup because Pharaoh is no where to be seen. The other Skinks aren't in yet and the Snails and Squirrel Tree Frog are out and about. I haven't seen the Millipede yet either. I am looking forward to bringing this habitat to the channel because these animals deserve it waiting this long and I am very excited to include the only reptiles and inverts into the channel more consistent. Remember you haven't seen them since I had 50 subscribers so it's been months!

I'm hoping to get the Skinks all into the setup. We will have to see if all 3 are still in the enclosure because they had escaped before and I believed I caught them. We will see though. I'm hoping to find d them and Millipedes.

If not the reign of the Skink Dynasty may be coming to an end. What could claim the throne? Let's hope nothing for a long time! But perhaps something else southern that overlaps with the Skinks and Squirrel Tree Frogs. Just a thought

What would be an invert that would be fun possibly to include in this setup?

After the update video should we try to make a video featuring The unified Five Lined Dumpy Family? Or just a stand alone of one of them?

So I have come to a conclusion on including both sides of the channel in with some videos like the Swarms Battles. So there will be battles this year the Five Lined Dumpy Family will face but when it features the native species some battles will have two parts and the exotic animals will have a chance to battle and defend their home lands. No enclosure is safe in the Swarms Battles. What feeder do you want to see the Five Lined Dumpy Family battle?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast