Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

0 members and 2,842 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Swallowing rat while rat is alive..

Hello,

So I just brought a new baby bumblebee ball python. She is about 103 grams and was hatched on late June. She is already eating a rat fuzzy. The breeder I bought it from was feeding live to his snakes so I got live so I know she eats in the new enclosure. I am planning to switch to f/t next feeding.
    Anyways, like the title states, she struck at the fuzzy rat and did not kill it and started swallowing the rat. I saw her strick under the hide so I couldn't really see what was happening until she came out of the hide while struggling to swallow live rat. Rat was squeaking and was trying to get out of snake's mouth but she kept swallowing it back... I searched it and people say it is due to small prey size but it was appropriate size for her.. Why does this happen? Is she not use to hunting? I believe she had 3 feedings before. I know it could be dangerous so what should I watch for? I can't see anything from outside, so I have no idea what the sign of danger would be for swallowing live prey.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Wow, that's also happened with one of my past ball pythons who only ate live! It was pretty horrifying. Sometimes they're just ravenous and it happens :\

I wouldn't try to pull it back out of the snake's mouth, because that's not natural for the snake and can damage its teeth. The snake will either spit it back out and kill it again on its own, or the rat will suffocate in a minute anyway while in the snake's throat.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-12-2018 at 03:40 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-12-2018),Sonny1318 (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    It didn’t coil or wrap at all?

did you weigh the prey prior ?

i doubt its an issue other than being an unpleasant sound etc.

but as statted above just let the snake be as it eats at that point what’s done is done

as long as you prepare ft rats correct a healthy snake shouldn’t have much issue taking it. Of course there are notorious problem feeders but I almost think it seems that way cause all we hear is my snake won’t eat... yet no one is posting eberytime hey my snake ate again.

It’s like the news we get used to hearing all the bad ish people think there is no good out there. There is. It’s just not reported with such gusto

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-12-2018)

Thanks

Re: Swallowing rat while rat is alive..

Switch to frozen thawed as soon as possible mate. It's a complete myth that some snakes will only feed on live - here in the UK live feeding is illegal so all of our snakes feed on f/t with no problem at all. No family with a BP feeds live here at all because it's not culturally acceptable. It's always possible to switch them over to f/t, you just have to use certain techniques. Things such as braining, following a live feeder with f/t etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-12-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-12-2018),tttaylorrr (08-12-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Aside from being tough to watch and hear, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    FYI, pinky and fuzzy mice AND rats have their eyes still closed and will NOT bite back, though they may struggle to get away. And since this snake was fed live
    before, the snake already knows there is no need to constrict it first. Many snakes do not bother to kill such prey first as it takes more time* and isn't necessary*.

*Remember that snakes follow their instincts to stay alive in the "real world"- they are very vulnerable to other predators while they are swallowing a meal, so the
    less time they take to do that, the safer that meal is for them. It takes a while to constrict a pinky or fuzzy, time & effort wasted that exposes the snake to more
    danger to themselves, so when they can do so, they just gulp them down. It's actually normal.

Obviously, when a snake is used to eating this way & then you bump up the size to a hopper (eyes open) the snake who doesn't constrict out of habit will get hurt! The "lucky ones" get seen & treated by a vet for their resulting injuries... You really should never feed live prey with eyes open to a snake, and beyond
    kick-starting the appetite of neonates, hatchlings or wild-caught snakes, it's avoidable.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-12-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    Switch to frozen thawed as soon as possible mate. It's a complete myth that some snakes will only feed on live - here in the UK live feeding is illegal so all of our snakes feed on f/t with no problem at all. No family with a BP feeds live here at all because it's not culturally acceptable. It's always possible to switch them over to f/t, you just have to use certain techniques. Things such as braining, following a live feeder with f/t etc.

I beg to differ, I have an adult female bp that went from eating ft to only accepting live. I tried to get her to eat ft again and she refused food for 8 months until I offered live, took it in an instant. I suppose I could have tried ft another 8 months, but honestly I got sick of watching her lose weight.

I certainly prefer ft for convenience and safety, but there are snakes that will only take live, ball pythons in particular it seems.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2018),KevinK (08-13-2018),MissterDog (08-13-2018),PitOnTheProwl (08-12-2018),Wharf Rat (08-13-2018),wonderfvl (08-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    I beg to differ, I have an adult female bp that went from eating ft to only accepting live. I tried to get her to eat ft again and she refused food for 8 months until I offered live, took it in an instant. I suppose I could have tried ft another 8 months, but honestly I got sick of watching her lose weight.

I certainly prefer ft for convenience and safety, but there are snakes that will only take live, ball pythons in particular it seems.
    I don't know what to tell you. It's a fact that people don't do that in the UK, yet we have thousands of Ball Pythons that successfully eat frozen thawed.

They're all the same species so the only other reason I can think this is the case is that our breeders start them off on frozen thawed whereas in America they must start them on live in some cases.

Last edited by Valyrian; 08-12-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (08-13-2018),Zincubus (08-12-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I mean, I am not offering live because I want to feed live haha. She was on live so I wanted to make sure in a new environment, she would take what she normally did. I feed others f/t, even switched one from live to f/t, took 5 months but yea.
    I would be giving f/t from now on.

Thanks

I don't know what to tell you. It's a fact that people don't do that in the UK, yet we have thousands of Ball Pythons that successfully eat frozen thawed.

They're all the same species so the only other reason I can think this is the case is that our breeders start them off on frozen thawed whereas in America they must start them on live in some cases.

Maybe, or maybe they feed live in secret, and just don't say anything about it because... well, it's illegal. Lol

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2018),MissterDog (08-13-2018),PitOnTheProwl (08-12-2018),redshepherd (08-12-2018),Wharf Rat (08-13-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast