Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,985

0 members and 2,985 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Tadpoles!

Thanks

Tadpoles!

Today I discovered that the pool on our property seems to be housing a bunch of tadpoles! I'd heard the frogs calling out there, and expected this to happen, as it has before. So I'm taking them in within the next few days (to save them from the chemicals in the pool and from those who may want to drain the pool with them in it).

I believe they are either gray tree frogs or Cope's gray tree frogs. I don't currently keep amphibians but know generally how to care for them. There doesn't seem to be a caresheet on gray tree frog tadpoles, so does anyone have any setup recommendations? And what do I feed them?

I'm thinking I'll drain the pool but cover the draining hole with a net of some sort, then try catching all I can.. the floor of the pool is covered with algae, so if I walk in it I will kick it up and it will be impossible to see.

Whenever the tadpoles appear in the pool we refer to them as "radioactive" because they survive despite the pool chemicals, literally end up growing HUGE, and look a lot more like fish than tadpoles. I'll see about posting pictures when I get them.

Any help or tips are appreciated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Maybe a soft fish net like they have for aquariums? That way it's a more gentle extraction than water flowing out at a rapid pace. HowCast on YouTube has a great short video on tadpole care maybe check it out. Best wishes to the cute little babes.
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

55fingers (08-12-2018)

Thanks

Re: Tadpoles!

When it happened to me there were thousands of tadpoles in the pool.

I took a 5 gallon bucket and caught as many as I could then brought them to the closes pond to release them. I made a net out of an old pillow case, I believe it was 4 or 5 buckets full by the time I got all of them.

Mine were grey tree frogs, I saved four of them, kept them in a small fish bowl and fed them tadpole food I bought at the pet store.

I put a stick in the bowl so when they were ready they could climb out and put the bowl inside a terrarium.

Once they were out of the bowl and living on land I fed them fruit flies. Breed your own fruit flies it's cheeper and you'll use a lot of them.

When they were big enough I hand fed them crickets with a forcepts.

They lived for about 5 years. it was a lot of work but it was worth it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Balls For This Useful Post:

55fingers (08-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions!

A few days ago I drained the pool and found that surprisingly, there were only 2 tadpoles! I had seen 1 and assumed that the clouded green water must have held more.

I have them in their tank right now. 1 grown front and back legs and the other just has tiny back legs (and some motor issues. Floating and unable to control himself. I thought he was gonna die when we got him but he seems to be surviving. I think once he's out of the water he'll be fine.)

Anyway, I wondering, if I decide to keep them, does anyone know if cope's grey tree frogs need UVB?
    Last edited by 55fingers; 08-18-2018 at 03:44 PM.