Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

0 members and 2,913 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Gecko Substrate

Thanks

Gecko Substrate

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to get a leopard gecko soon. I've already decided against using sand, and will use carpet if I need to, but a lot of other forums I checked out said the best substrate would be slate or porcelain tile.

My questions would be:
    1. would they need to be sealed and if so, what sealant is safe?
    2. is porcelain or slate better?
    3. how would you prevent their toes from getting stuck in the cracks in the tiles?
    4. if I were to use non-self-adhesive vinyl tile, would I still need to be worried about heat causing fumes to be emitted?

Feel free to comment, message me, or link me to other forums/articles.

Thanks in advance

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I'm a bit behind on the latest leopard gecko housing trends... So I was hoping someone would drop in here for you, but here's my limited advice~

Honestly, I haven't used porcelain tile for mine. And for slate I used the more natural rock stackers you can find in aquarium shops to make some hides from time to time.
    I've never had to worry about sealing the slate, only using some aquarium sealant to keep them together to avoid slipping when stacking. And although they're more ground dwelling, you would be surprised at how well they can scramble when they need to. Unless you're moving the tiles around while your geckos are on them or they are a falling hazard, I wouldn't worry about the toes.
    Sometimes what I would do is space out the tiles a little and dust some substrate in between the wider spacing. You still need to be careful to make sure the gecko isn't ingesting too much of the substrate. I haven't had a problem with dried out coconut fiber tho. Most of my geckos seem to dislike the taste so never had one gulp it down like you need to watch for with sand.

I would avoid using the vinyl tile anywhere that it can be heated if you're concerned about fumes. Just better to be safe than sorry. I did a quick peek around and it still seems like a 50/50% on that one.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Gecko Substrate

I use print-less newspaper for all my LG's.

The do not like a lot of humidity and paper is so easy to clean.

Additionally, LG's tend to go to the bathroom is virtually the same spot every time. Easy clean up.

Carpet can be a pain, especially for an LG who goes fairly often. Hard to keep clean and sanitary.

Just my two cents.

Thanks

Re: Gecko Substrate

I use paper towels for my leo now, but I've used slate tiles in the past. I didn't seal them in, would just wipe them down and periodically (usually on a monthly basis) pull them out and clean both sides completely as well as the bottom of the tank. The slate looked nicer than the paper towel, but I think I prefer paper towel. Clean up is way easier, and as long as you've got good heating elements and thermostats, you'll be fine with heat retention.

Thanks
    I have 2 leopard geckos. I use eco earth over a sand mat as a substrate. I love it and so do the geckos. They will dig if given the opportunity, and I love that they have the enrichment. I am able to thin our the layer of eco earth under the hot hide to provide adequate belly heat. For a baby I would recommend paper, but a juvenile or adult benefits from the correct loose substrate. I do feed in a bowl just in case. They typically use one spot as a toilet so it is easy to spot clean.
    Last edited by reptilemom25; 08-16-2018 at 11:06 AM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I actually keep my Leo's almost the same as reptilemom25. I just don't keep a mat under the adults. Just the coco fiber.
    Babies are on paper towels until reliably eating from a bowl and around 20 grams.

I just know the original question was regarding the tile way of things. Which sadly I am not as well versed in.