Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

3 members and 2,883 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Ferret Breeders

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ferret Breeders

My girlfriend and I just "impulse" bought 2 ferrets from Pet World (Marshall Ferrets to be exact). By impulse I mean we weren't in the market for a ferret, let alone two of them, but after seeing it and playing with them we decided to go for it 2 weeks after our first interaction.

I've got 2 Ferret Nation double cages side by side and all decked out...these ferrets are SPOILED already LOL

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a private breeder as the research I've done, and continue to do, shows "mill" ferrets typically have health concerns later in their short lives and private breeders typically produce a higher quality animal.

OBVIOUSLY you can't just have a couple of these little fur babies so we're interested in obtaining from private stock.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've got 4 ferrets, all Marshall ferrets. They are all between 2-3 years old and are all happy, healthy little monsters.

I turned a 4x6x6 walk-in(ish) closet into their enclosure. It's full of ramps, tunnels, a dig box, hides, etc...they do really well in there. Due to their huge appetite and very fast metabolism they poop a TON!!! I get inside their enclosure daily to spot clean and weekly to deep clean. They're a LOT of work, but lots of fun too.

I find it to be super important to keep their blankets and everything clean or the smell builds up quickly. And since they're always in those blankets, they themselves don't smell as much with clean blankets always available.

As for private breeders, I can't help you there. I have my 4, and that's PLENTY for me!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-13-2018),C.Marie (08-11-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ferret Breeders

LOL - thanks for responding.

Yeah they do poop a lot as I scoop every day. I've been doing a lot of reading about raw diets and apparently they poop less and their "odor" is significantly reduced due to the healthier oils in the raw diet vs kibble. I have A LOT of research to do before I take that leap.

These 2 are so much fun to watch and play with. It's very relaxing and much needed down time.

We've got hammocks, cubes, a tunnel, and a ton of fleece for them inside the cage. In the play area tunnels, empty boxes, plastic balls (some with bells inside), and cat towers keep them occupied. We're going to make a ball pit, ramps, dig box, and more ferret friendly activities for them to enjoy.

1st vet visit today for shots and check up's.
    Ball Python
    Boas
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-13-2018)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Most private breeders won't sell you a ferret until you've owned them a few years. They are a different ballgame than a pet store one, both in attitude and being intact, you have to deal with them being able to spray and have a very good knowledgeable vet who can neuter a ferret. The other issue is all ferrets are unhealthy. Adrenal disease starts ticking as soon as they are fixed, insulinoma is diet so if you are feeding carb laden kibble, it doesn't matter where your ferret is bred from, they are almost certainly going to get both of these diseases if they live long enough. Lymphoma is the other big killer and from what I've seen privately bred aren't any more lucky there either. Not trying to discourage you from seeking a private breeder, just don't expect a miracle. Many are also breeding for color and looks rather than health. Almost none will ship so you have to fly or drive in to pick them up. I've looked at a few breeders, Danee DeVore, Ruth Heller, Linda Gurule all seem decent and I would buy from off the top of my head.

If I were you, I'd enjoy yours for a few years, build up a vet fund and see how you feel with more experience because they are like a heartbreaking little toddler, frustratingly cute but also a lot of work and expense. I don't really advise them as pets because for most people they are fun for a few months or years and then get dumped. (I'm a dumping ground lol) 4-5 is when health issues start to rear up usually although I've had a 1.5 year old be adrenal. Once they are that's a $150 implant every 6-9 months for the rest of their life. Insulinoma means meds every 8-12 hours, for the rest of their life. I've had 15 over the past 14 years and think this crew will be my last tbh.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ferret Breeders

Yeah - All of the reading I've done agrees with everything you've stated. But they're so darn cute and fun when healthy LOL IMHO worth the work involved and yes, the vet fund is important to have on hand as well.

Thanks for the info - I do appreciate it!!!
    Ball Python
    Boas
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs