Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

1 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Keeping records

Thanks

Keeping records

What does keeping records consist of? Their eating habits and habitat parameters?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Please remember that creating your own thread will give you more views and attention which means more answers compare to bumping a an old thread ( especially 11 years old thread one)

This has now been fixed.

When it comes to breeding, breeder keep track of feeding, pairing, witnessed copulation, pre-lay shed and egg laying.

I keep track of exception when it comes to feeding, I enter data for the ones that do not eat (less data to manage that way), and breeding related data.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-10-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    You can keep track of whatever you want.
    I remember when I first started out writing down all phases of the shed process, all poops, etc.
    Now I only keep track of feeding (date and item) and the actual shed date (as well as any comments on behavior changes)
    When I breed I make sure to note introduction/removal dates, any courting/copulation seen and female behavioral changes (laying on side, bowl wrapping, ovulation)
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Like the previous reply’s mentioned, but if you just want to keep basics. Then you could go with eating and shedding, some also like to keep track of pooping. But definitely feeding and shedding. Some people even use specialty apps. I recently went from paper to my IPad to keep records. I like using index cards too, helps me keep secrets from my computer.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I used to go to the extreme with record keeping. I tracked everything on the computer. Now pretty much everything that I care about gets written right on the tub in sharpie. If it is information I want to keep, when I run out of room it gets transferred to notebooks, and then cleaned off the tub with alcohol. I don't have display animals so I really don't care what it looks like and I have all the information right there in my face when I am evaluating an animal or getting ready to feed.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    I keep track of feeding, shedding, poop, and weight. Usually the latter two at the same time since I like to weight them empty. It gives me a better idea of how much they're growing. Or not growing. I keep track of breeding too, but I have a whole nother spreadsheet for that. And it's all on the computer. I don't have time to deal with cards or paper.

I guess that might be extreme, but I'm a stickler for details and I have a small collection. If I had 50+ animals I'd probably have to streamline things.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Thanks
    I keep track or weight, feedings, and sheds. Every 2 weeks is weigh in right before feeding. What they fed on so I can see any trends in refusal or growth. New babies I keep track of poo as well just to make sure quarantine is going good and verify when they last ate before me.
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)