Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 290

14 members and 276 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

Mittens (31)

» Stats

Members: 62,730
Threads: 235,983
Posts: 2,445,389
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, carin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New ball setup

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-16-2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts

    New ball setup

    So I bought a new ball python on impulse it'll be here tomorrow and I ran to the store and through this little tub together. Just wanted your guy's opinion is a good for a new baby ball or should I take the cool side hide out of the enclosure and black out the sides of the tub?

    Just as reference the tub is 16 inches from to back and 10 inches left to right

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS


    1.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Axanthic SK
    0.1 Super Dragonfly


    LEOPARD GECKOS
    1.0 Albino

    Also Various Tarantulas.

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran alittleFREE's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 304 Times in 219 Posts

    New ball setup

    Quote Originally Posted by TLChris View Post
    So I bought a new ball python on impulse it'll be here tomorrow and I ran to the store and through this little tub together. Just wanted your guy's opinion is a good for a new baby ball or should I take the cool side hide out of the enclosure and black out the sides of the tub?

    Just as reference the tub is 16 inches from to back and 10 inches left to right

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    The hides might be a little big for a hatchling but itís hard to tell in the photos. Just remember for them to feel secure you want the hides pretty snug.

    Re: whether or not to take out the cool side hide etc, Iíve always been a proponent of matching hides on each side, never had a problem going that route.

    But otherwise, looking pretty good so far.

    How are you heating the tub, regulating heat, and measuring temp/humidity?

    Also, make sure youíve got some airflow in the tub via holes.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alittleFREE; 08-10-2018 at 12:40 AM.

    - Summer

    0.1 '04 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 '?? California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 '18 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (08-10-2018),TLChris (08-10-2018)

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,774
    Thanks
    5,412
    Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,841 Posts
    I'd certainly leave both hides as well, and yes to air holes also.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    TLChris (08-10-2018)

  6. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-16-2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: New ball setup

    Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    The hides might be a little big for a hatchling but itís hard to tell in the photos. Just remember for them to feel secure you want the hides pretty snug.

    Re: whether or not to take out the cool side hide etc, Iíve always been a proponent of matching hides on each side, never had a problem going that route.

    But otherwise, looking pretty good so far.

    How are you heating the tub, regulating heat, and measuring temp/humidity?

    Also, make sure youíve got some airflow in the tub via holes.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being heated by an uth, connected to a thermostat and the hot side is at 89. Air holes would be a good idea lmao... I put air holes in so many enclosures for other animals idk how I over looked it here. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Approx what size hides would you reccomend?

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS


    1.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Axanthic SK
    0.1 Super Dragonfly


    LEOPARD GECKOS
    1.0 Albino

    Also Various Tarantulas.

  7. #5
    BPnet Senior Member Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    4,674
    Thanks
    1,862
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,757 Posts

    Re: New ball setup

    Well I won't comment on the specifics of a tub set-up as I don't use them so I'll let the others comment .

    My initial concern surrounds the hides . As already mentioned they like to feel snug and safe so if the hides are the right size then I'd suggest that the tub surely can't be .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    TLChris (08-10-2018)

  9. #6
    BPnet Veteran redshepherd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-28-2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    3,316
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,592 Posts
    Images: 5
    It's always better to have more hides than too few hides, so just leave both hides in.

    Hide size depends on the size of the snake. If you really got hatchling size snake (100g or less), the hides should best be about 5x3 inches.

    http://www.reptilebasics.com/small-hide-box These also work very well

    If you want to play it safer, I'd even add some extra cover, like fake leafy vines and just throw some in there.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-10-2018 at 04:12 AM.

    Other Species
    0.1 Tanimbar Scrub Python "Pixie",
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake "Genesis"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa "Vigil",
    0.1 2007 Aru Green Tree Python "Gem"
    1.0 Eastern Indigo "Drogon", 1.0 Blood Python "Magma"
    Ball Pythons
    0.1 Sterling "Drizzle", 1.0 Lesser Butter "Yukon"
    past: 0.4 Ball pythons, 1.0 Russian Rat Snake



  10. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

    TLChris (08-10-2018)

  11. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-16-2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: New ball setup

    Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    It's always better to have more hides than too few hides, so just leave both hides in.

    Hide size depends on the size of the snake. If you really got hatchling size snake (100g or less), the hides should best be about 5x3 inches.

    http://www.reptilebasics.com/small-hide-box These also work very well

    If you want to play it safer, I'd even add some extra cover, like fake leafy vines and just throw some in there.
    Ah ok. I picked these because of a sticky post. That used 6 inch flower pot dishes, thought these were a little taller but might work since like I said it was sour of the moment decision lol. Thanks for the link.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS


    1.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Axanthic SK
    0.1 Super Dragonfly


    LEOPARD GECKOS
    1.0 Albino

    Also Various Tarantulas.

  12. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-16-2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: New ball setup

    Here is the little girl in question... he hides do look a tad big... I'll find something a little smaller and soon as I can

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS


    1.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Axanthic SK
    0.1 Super Dragonfly


    LEOPARD GECKOS
    1.0 Albino

    Also Various Tarantulas.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to TLChris For This Useful Post:

    the_rotten1 (08-11-2018)

  14. #9
    BPnet Senior Member Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    4,674
    Thanks
    1,862
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,757 Posts

    Re: New ball setup

    That's a stunner !!!

    Yep ...two or three much smaller hides ( they like the security of a tight fit it seems ) .

    I'd also add some fake foliage from a dollar shop or whatever and some branches ( hot glued in place )...

    It will spend ages explore in the evening ...

    Also consider using some orchid bark or ReptiBark ....as substrate ...it helps to keep the humidity up and it will make your snake look amazing ...

    When you feed over substrate just put some card or a piece of A4 paper down and feed over the card ..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro




  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    TLChris (08-10-2018)

  16. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-16-2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: New ball setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    That's a stunner !!!

    Yep ...two or three much smaller hides ( they like the security of a tight fit it seems ) .

    I'd also add some fake foliage from a dollar shop or whatever and some branches ( hot glued in place )...

    It will spend ages explore in the evening ...

    Also consider using some orchid bark or ReptiBark ....as substrate ...it helps to keep the humidity up and it will make your snake look amazing ...

    When you feed over substrate just put some card or a piece of A4 paper down and feed over the card ..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I have some cocofiber bricks but I think I want to keep her on newsprint till my rack arrives and she grows a little. Usually the humidity around here is near the 50% range so I want to see if the water bowl will be enough if not I have some moss I can wet and toss on the warmside.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS


    1.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Axanthic SK
    0.1 Super Dragonfly


    LEOPARD GECKOS
    1.0 Albino

    Also Various Tarantulas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1