Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

2 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    From the sounds of it, it's a neurological issue and unlikely to be your fault, or treatable.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Leopard gecko sick in less than 48 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldSheep View Post
    I don't think it's just impaction. She keeps turning upside down which is far from normal. In her cage she normally has a calcium dish, so I know it's not something like that. It's something deeper if she's turning upside down constantly.

Eco Earth is OK for geckos. Better than sand since it breaks down in water, etc.

At this point I don't know if I'm making her suffer more by just prolonging the inevitable.
    If she has some undigested cricket legs stuck in her gut, it would cause enough discomfort to make her twist & maybe turn upside down for relief. Just like horses,
    when they colic they want to lay down & roll over (which can be fatal if their insides get twisted in the process). Try a dose of mineral oil &/or get her to vet a.s.a.p.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-09-2018 at 06:35 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-10-2018),GoldSheep (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    So I called my vets in my area, but they are all booked, even for emergencies--the only one left costs 232 dollars for the visit only. Definitely lots of problems for heat-related illnesses, probably.

The gecko is in the same shape and it looks like since she's young yet her gut is cleared, but she's still lolling around from her back to belly and over again and gaping her mouth like she can't breathe when she lolls.

I tried the mineral oil, which cleared the last of her gut, but she's still the same.

I checked the other geckos this morning just in case, and they are just fine. It's only her.

At this point I wonder if it's cruel to keep her alive like this. Still upset that this happened so quickly though.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Are you using vitamin powder on the food items? Too much/too little can result in issues...but, due to the severity of the issue I'm guessing impaction as well.

If you think it is inhumane to let the animal suffer: I would recommend putting the leopard gecko in a grocery bag (so you don't have to see the gore) and delivering one crushing blow to the skull with an iron mallet or equivalent---much faster than a slow agonizing death.
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-10-2018),C.Marie (08-10-2018)

Thanks
    I don't think its from an impaction, especially since she is clear and still symptomatic. Eco earth is safe to leopard geckos. I don't thinks its a temp/ humidity issue either. It sounds nero to me. The only other possible thing I can think of is a sudden onset or worsening or the parasite that causes stick tail.

If you feel she is suffering too much, I would take her to a vet to be put down. Any vet can do it, even an emergency clinic. I think it would be the most humane way to end her suffering if it comes to that.
    Last edited by reptilemom25; 08-10-2018 at 02:03 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Are you using vitamin powder on the food items? Too much/too little can result in issues...but, due to the severity of the issue I'm guessing impaction as well.

If you think it is inhumane to let the animal suffer: I would recommend putting the leopard gecko in a grocery bag (so you don't have to see the gore) and delivering one crushing blow to the skull with an iron mallet or equivalent---much faster than a slow agonizing death.
    Vitamin powder only on the crickets which is once a week. There is a calcium dish in with them. My understanding, is that it happens much more slowly with vitamin deficiencies, not less than 24 hours.

Impaction symptoms should happen much more slowly from what I understand. I checked her gut and it's empty now (I could see blue/black in her belly before but it's all gone and no hardness.) It was full when I started treatment. It's the quick onset that gets to me. She was fine and eating very well, then bam, she's suddenly lolling about and having trouble.

The vet tech I talked to thought that usually these problems happen much more slowly and it probably is something really serious. So it's probably not impaction.

Her tail is nice and plump and this happened in less than 48 hours. I check on the water supply in the mornings for all my reptiles and glance at the temps throughout the day. Stick tail is gradual and I quarantined her before placing in the cage. (Also clean once a day and change the bedding once a week.)
    Last edited by GoldSheep; 08-10-2018 at 02:40 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldSheep For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

...The vet tech I talked to thought that usually these problems happen much more slowly and it probably is something really serious. So it's probably not impaction....
    It's really hard to say then what this is...like all animals (or humans) there are many things that can go wrong & I wouldn't let her keep suffering either, though I'd
    also not bring myself to use a mallet... (not judging, just saying not everyone can do that). I'm glad you at least tried the mineral oil & yes I agree from what you
    said that it's not likely to be impaction if her gut seems empty etc. It does sound serious, not necessarily "neuro", so sorry you're having to deal with this, & even
    more sorry for your gecko.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoldSheep (08-10-2018)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I had a young 6 month old gecko go downhill and pass in as little as 12 hours due to a liver condition once. Her liver was very enlarged but she had been acting normally up until the day she wasn't.
    Symptoms very similar to yours. Rolling and gasping. The only really odd thing about her up until that point was the larger black spot on her belly where the liver was.

Hoping for the best on your little one regardless!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2018),GoldSheep (08-10-2018)

Thanks

I'm thinking since she's a reptile maybe freezing her might be the most humane way to put her down. But I'm still hesitating and going back and forth on it. Maybe shock on my part to lose her so quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

I'm thinking since she's a reptile maybe freezing her might be the most humane way to put her down.
    Freezing is not considered a humane method of euthanizing reptiles. They do not just "go to sleep", they feel themselves freezing.

Either take her to a vet or pith her brain using the method described above to kill her instantly and painlessly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12