Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

1 members and 3,071 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Leopard gecko sick in less than 48 hours?

I've had this leopard gecko for about a month and a half. She ate solidly, her tail plumped nicely and she was very, very enthusiastic about her food. I fed her a range of diet from crickets, (didn't like the mealworms) a calciworms/phoenix worms, and then a once-a-week treat of waxworm. Fed every other day.

I got her with another female who is just fine (but a much pickier eater and much more finnicky about being picked up.)

So I fed her some calciworms 2 days ago--again, healthy eating behavior--the other female refused, but then was probably still full. It has been hot, but I've been running the air conditioning and monitoring the temps. Because it got too hot, I turned off the UTH and attached a fan to the "cooling" part of the heat regulator. (the room was running 90 degrees even with the heater off). The temps sank to about 88. I monitored them throughout the day since I have other reptiles and I work from home.

The water dried out in one day flat, though... and so when I checked her yesterday night, she was upside down. In a panic, I looked up what I could do for her and then started her in a delicup with some water, but she was so weak, I had to be careful she didn't drown.

It looks like she passed an impaction? this morning (poo in the cup) (though I keep her on eco earth), so maybe she ate something too big. (though I'm not sure since the calciworms weren't huge, though it looked like she could have swallowed one wrong, but she was fine when I put her in the tank--I checked on her later and she looked fine.)

She can't move that well, and I moved her to UTH in a quarantine tank so she's half on and half off, but she's not doing great. Barely breathing, opening and closing her mouth like she can't breathe and only moving her head. There is no sign of infection or mouth rot... so I'm really confused.

I looked up other leopard gecko diseases, but they are much slower to kill.

I'm not sure if she's going to make it at this stage because it's that bad.

I can't figure out what could make her sick that fast though. Can heat kill that quickly? What could kill so quickly?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Leopard gecko sick in less than 48 hours?

Sorry for going through this. Hope your animal gets better.

Just guessing, heat exhaustion happens quicker for small animals. They don't have much moisture in their body in comparison to larger animals. Getting your temps cooler. Not sure what they should be so look it up.

Best wishes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Heat can kill very quickly, however, Leo's are pretty heat resistant, it has to be pretty hot to do that to them. I suspect she may have had a sudden acute health issue pop up, like a aneurysm or something similar.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-09-2018),GoldSheep (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    The water drying out in a day is concerning. Leo's are supposed to be kept humid, like ball pythons, so it's possible she dehydrated along with overheating.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    The water drying out in a day is concerning. Leo's are supposed to be kept humid, like ball pythons, so it's possible she dehydrated along with overheating.
    Wait, they are? Leos are naturally from arid environments, and I've kept my first leo in a tank at 30% humidity with a humid hide with no issues. If they're supposed to be kept at a higher humidity, this is the first I'm hearing of it.
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo
    1.0 Spider Enchi Ghost - Whiskey
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser - Tango
    1.0 Butter Spider Het Hypo - Foxtrot

Other Snakes!
    0.1 Albino Paradox KSB - Socks
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - JPEG
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Salazar

Geckos!
    0.2 Super Hypo Tangerine Leos - Riddle and Valkyrie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skydnay For This Useful Post:

GoldSheep (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    She keeps turning upside down, despite being in an empty tank by herself. Is it a neurological issue? That fast though?

Really upset because she was doing so well and was very good about being handled.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skydnay View Post
    Wait, they are? Leos are naturally from arid environments, and I've kept my first leo in a tank at 30% humidity with a humid hide with no issues.
    Since yours has a humid hide then that's perfectly fine. I keep mine in a tub on newspaper similar to the ball pythons.

In the OP's case having an ambient temp of 88-90 with no water available and relatively dry air would have been a problem.

Also just re-read and saw that the OP's was on eco-earth; I'd read loose substrate was a no-no for leo's since they can eat it and get impacted.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I once rescued a bearded dragon that was totally impacted from eating only crickets* plus some of his substrate (wood shavings) in desperation.

*The large back legs of crickets are very hard to digest & can cause constipation, especially if ingested with loose substrate- that would compound the problem.

Also (this may not apply to you since you said she doesn't like mealworms?) I've heard that some mealworms have chewed the insides of the lizard that swallowed
    them without adequately chewing & killing them, so when I've fed mealworms to lizards, I offered with tongs & simultaneously crunched the head as it was taken.
    (please don't report me for cruelty to mealworms )

BTW, I don't know if this will help your leopard gecko or not, but if she's impacted, I don't see her surviving surgery...? By all means consult a vet...but in the
    meantime, what my exotic animal vet told me to do for that bearded dragon was a daily oral dose of mineral oil (by plastic dropper...don't use a glass dropper
    because they might bite hard enough to break the glass). At the same time (& despite my vet's skepticism) I soaked the dragon in warmish bathwater for about 30 minutes or so per day. In a couple days, he did huge consecutive dumps for several days while in the bathwater...the hydration helped, trust me.
    But the (indigestible) mineral oil made his G.I. contents slippery enough to be expelled normally without internal harm (he was SO lucky not to have perforated
    his colon with those wood shavings he ingested). Good luck!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-09-2018 at 04:54 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    No idea if the heat or low humidity actually caused the problem with yours, but insufficient water certainly figures into constipation, & it probably cannot hurt
    to try mineral oil dosing. When I got that bearded dragon, he kept straining, unable to expel any wastes...& he looked like he was a goner. He was very bloated mid-body, with skinny legs (starving) so he'd been like that for quite some time...it wasn't a sudden thing at all, & the irresponsible owner dumped him on me.
    My experience is mostly snakes, but I had to try...he had nowhere to go. He made a wonderful recovery, as if it never happened. Hoping yours can be helped...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-09-2018),GoldSheep (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    I don't think it's just impaction. She keeps turning upside down which is far from normal. In her cage she normally has a calcium dish, so I know it's not something like that. It's something deeper if she's turning upside down constantly.

Eco Earth is OK for geckos. Better than sand since it breaks down in water, etc.

At this point I don't know if I'm making her suffer more by just prolonging the inevitable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast