Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ


» Today's Birthdays

rnocera (31)

» Stats

Members: 61,552
Threads: 233,887
Posts: 2,420,880
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, LunaByrd
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Registered User Avsha531's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-22-2018
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked 278 Times in 153 Posts

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Duplicate
    Last edited by Avsha531; 08-09-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

    WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon


    "​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

  2. #12
    Registered User ckuhn003's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-18-2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 320 Times in 189 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    So these 'wireless' ones ... they look like the old fashioned stand alone ones !?!?

    So presumably they have a separate 'wireless' probe hence the name ??

    If they are just stand alone ones with no probe I don't see how they can be giving accurate surface temps as the sensor will be a few inches off the ground ??!

    Am I missing something here ??

    I've used the free standing ones to give ambient temps ..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    You are correct. I think most people (myself included) use them for ambient temps and humidity readings. For surface temps, they do occasional checks with a temp gun. I may be one of guilty ones in saying that I don't do surface temp checks often as I put a lot of faith in my HerpStat for controlling the temps.
    1.0 Toffino - (Fred)

    1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

    1.0 Boxer - (Cooper)

  3. #13
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,710
    Thanks
    6,947
    Thanked 4,266 Times in 2,440 Posts

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    So these 'wireless' ones ... they look like the old fashioned stand alone ones !?!?

    So presumably they have a separate 'wireless' probe hence the name ??

    If they are just stand alone ones with no probe I don't see how they can be giving accurate surface temps as the sensor will be a few inches off the ground ??!

    Am I missing something here ??

    I've used the free standing ones to give ambient temps


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    You are correct, good sir. I use them for humidity and ambient/ballpark surface temps. Temp gun for actual surface temps. The readings are always very close with little variance.
    Last edited by craigafrechette; 08-09-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    ...life is beautiful...

    "Every man dies, not every man really lives"
    - Braveheart

    "If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
    - Layne Staley, Alice In Chains

  4. #14
    BPnet Veteran alittleFREE's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 169 Times in 140 Posts

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Thanks guys. Glad to know they work well.

    So what I知 wanting to do is use one of the wireless ones with a probe, and keep the wireless probe in the tank, but the actual unit with the screen outside the tank somewhere where I can see it easily. Has anyone tried that method?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    - Summer

    0.1 '04 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 '?? California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 '18 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")

  5. #15
    Registered User Sunnieskys's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-13-2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,972
    Thanks
    709
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 825 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Curious if anyone secures this type of wireless thermometer? I have one and it's always getting knocked over.
    Mine gets bulldozed just like all the fake plants. I just stand it back upright as I spot clean.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Curious if anyone secures this type of wireless thermometer? I have one and it's always getting knocked over.
    Mine gets bulldozed just like all the fake plants. I just stand it back upright as I spot clean.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Curious if anyone secures this type of wireless thermometer? I have one and it's always getting knocked over.
    Mine gets bulldozed just like all the fake plants. I just stand it back upright as I spot clean.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

    0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

  6. #16
    Registered User Pengil's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-25-2018
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    143
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Thanks guys. Glad to know they work well.

    So what I知 wanting to do is use one of the wireless ones with a probe, and keep the wireless probe in the tank, but the actual unit with the screen outside the tank somewhere where I can see it easily. Has anyone tried that method?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So this is what I use: https://www.acurite.com/wireless-the...y-sensors.html

    I actually really, really like keeping the "probe" in my snake's tub and having the display outside, so that I don't have to be in the same room to see what's going on with the temperature and the humidity. (I may have carried the display around the apartment with me when I first got him, just to keep an eye on every fluctuation in his tub...) I also like that the sensor is intended for the outdoors, so I don't have to worry about the humidity frying the display or the sensor getting wet when I mist.

    Right now I have it hanging off of a screw, but unless you hot glue whichever device you go with, it's inevitable that your snake will knock it down on occasion.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry
    1.0 Mouse- Gunther

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

    alittleFREE (08-09-2018)

  8. #17
    Registered User larryd23's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-08-2017
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 93 Times in 63 Posts

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    I've been using this Accurite set up: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01096.../dp/B01EI0MS84

    It allows you to monitor temp and humidity in three vivs with one display.

  9. #18
    BPnet Veteran alittleFREE's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 169 Times in 140 Posts

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Quote Originally Posted by larryd23 View Post
    I've been using this Accurite set up: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01096.../dp/B01EI0MS84

    It allows you to monitor temp and humidity in three vivs with one display.
    Ah! That would be perfect for me, since I致e currently got 3 Vivs to manage. Thanks for sharing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    - Summer

    0.1 '04 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 '?? California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 '18 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")

  10. #19
    BPnet Senior Member Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    4,234
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,530 Posts

    Wireless Acurites?

    Soooooooo

    Apologies for needing EVEN more clarification here guys ....

    As I'm kinda struggling to understand the concept or use for these stand alone thermometers.

    You guys are simply using these to get AMBIENT temps of the surrounding air in the viv ? Yes ?


    THEN checking the more CRUCIAL temps of the floor SURFACE areas with a digital temp gun !?!

    I can't see how those stand alone thermometers can give ACCURATE temps of the surface temp under the warm hide ..

    ----/--

    Now if there's a new gadget that has a separate little probe that can be hot glued into place under the warm hide and then wirelessly transfers data to the main unit .... I'd be interested myself BUT so far I've not come across any .
    I did try one of the links above but the link doesn't work in the UK sadly .

    I've always used these gadgets for surface temps ( 4 dollars off eBay) and regularly check all surface temps with a digital temp gun .
    Similar ones give a choice of C or F ..the little probe is hot glued onto the floor surface under the warm hide ( the crucial temp to worry about ) .





    Hopefully someone can put me straight as regards these wireless gadgets !!!

    I fear that newbies will be using them to set their thermostats ( if they have one ... )




    HELP !!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-10-2018 at 03:15 AM.




  11. #20
    BPnet Veteran alittleFREE's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 169 Times in 140 Posts

    Re: Wireless Acurites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Soooooooo

    Apologies for needing EVEN more clarification here guys ....

    As I'm kinda struggling to understand the concept or use for these stand alone thermometers.

    You guys are simply using these to get AMBIENT temps of the surrounding air in the viv ? Yes ?


    THEN checking the more CRUCIAL temps of the floor SURFACE areas with a digital temp gun !?!

    I can't see how those stand alone thermometers can give ACCURATE temps of the surface temp under the warm hide ..

    ----/--

    Now if there's a new gadget that has a separate little probe that can be hot glued into place under the warm hide and then wirelessly transfers data to the main unit .... I'd be interested myself BUT so far I've not come across any .
    I did try one of the links above but the link doesn't work in the UK sadly .

    I've always used these gadgets for surface temps ( 4 dollars off eBay) and regularly check all surface temps with a digital temp gun .
    Similar ones give a choice of C or F ..the little probe is hot glued onto the floor surface under the warm hide ( the crucial temp to worry about ) .





    Hopefully someone can put me straight as regards these wireless gadgets !!!

    I fear that newbies will be using them to set their thermostats ( if they have one ... )




    HELP !!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, I知 talking about using this to measure ambient temps and humidity. I check surface temps with a temp gun regularly and have all heat sources on thermostats.

    What I知 planning to do is get the version that has a display unit and a wireless probe (about the size/shape of a USB drive). Then I値l secure the probe Somewhere in the enclosure, and have the display unit in my
    Bedroom where I can check ambients/humidity at my leisure, without having a big unit and bundle of wires etc in my cages.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    - Summer

    0.1 '04 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 '?? California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 '18 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

    Zincubus (08-10-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1