Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,101

2 members and 2,099 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Wireless Acurites?

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Yes, I’m talking about using this to measure ambient temps and humidity. I check surface temps with a temp gun regularly and have all heat sources on thermostats.

What I’m planning to do is get the version that has a display unit and a wireless probe (about the size/shape of a USB drive). Then I’ll secure the probe Somewhere in the enclosure, and have the display unit in my
    Bedroom where I can check ambients/humidity at my leisure, without having a big unit and bundle of wires etc in my cages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds great !!

So you check the surface temps over the warm area with a digital temp gun and adjust the thermostat settings accordingly ???

Anyways , that's what I've always done ..

I'm wondering if there should be a sticky thread or something to advise the above to anyone just starting up !?!

Sadly I keep seeing cases where newbies are just trusting the thermostat ( if they have one !) and using one of these standalone thermometers and then presuming that everything's fine and dandy ..

If anyone is unsure ... This is a digital temp gun we're talking about and they're only about 10 dollars off eBay or Amazon !!

Last edited by Zincubus; 08-10-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks

Re: Wireless Acurites?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sounds great !!

So you check the surface temps over the warm area with a digital temp gun and adjust the thermostat settings accordingly ???

Anyways , that's what I've always done ..

I'm wondering if there should be a sticky thread or something to advise the above to anyone just starting up !?!

Sadly I keep seeing cases where newbies are just trusting the thermostat ( if they have one !) and using one of these standalone thermometers and then presuming that everything's fine and dandy ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes precisely. I use a temp gun to check surface temps and set my thermostat based on the temp gun readings. I don’t trust probes with surface temps because I’ve had them get knocked loose too many times even when glued down etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Wireless Acurites?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Soooooooo

Apologies for needing EVEN more clarification here guys ....

As I'm kinda struggling to understand the concept or use for these stand alone thermometers.

You guys are simply using these to get AMBIENT temps of the surrounding air in the viv ? Yes ?

THEN checking the more CRUCIAL temps of the floor SURFACE areas with a digital temp gun !?!

I can't see how those stand alone thermometers can give ACCURATE temps of the surface temp under the warm hide ..

----/--

Now if there's a new gadget that has a separate little probe that can be hot glued into place under the warm hide and then wirelessly transfers data to the main unit .... I'd be interested myself BUT so far I've not come across any .
    I did try one of the links above but the link doesn't work in the UK sadly .

I've always used these gadgets for surface temps ( 4 dollars off eBay) and regularly check all surface temps with a digital temp gun .
    Similar ones give a choice of C or F ..the little probe is hot glued onto the floor surface under the warm hide ( the crucial temp to worry about ) .

Hopefully someone can put me straight as regards these wireless gadgets !!!

I fear that newbies will be using them to set their thermostats ( if they have one ... )

HELP !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    What I have learned in my brief experience with Ball Pythons is that your thermostat is your most important piece of equipment and your temp gun is a close second. I use Herpstat exclusively for me thermostats. In addition to being a quality product, they are designed to protect your pet in the event of a failed or disconnected failure. When your Herpstat goes down, your heat goes off.

As for temp guns, there is no substitute. Like many others I check the temperature gradient in my vivs once a week using a temp gun.

But on a day to day basis, I feel more comfortable having a quick check of the temperature in my vivs and that is what the Accurite does for me. One quick look and I can see the temp in all three vivs. As importantly, it allows me to easily check the humidity in my vivs. Living on Long Island, maintaining humidity is a chore in the summer and a pain in the winter. With the Accurites it take a few minutes to check the humidity, mist as needed, and then go on about my business.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-11-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123