Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,894

1 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Could a front opening enclosure change Django's demeanor?

Django has been in his enclosure for almost a year exactly. It was always a top opening enclosure, until recently. A few weeks back I picked up a new Neodesha which is now stacked on top of Django's enclosure, which I transferred to a front opening enclosure. I had re-built it so I had the option to switch eventually if I decided to stack on top of it.

So, since switching his enclosure to front opening, Django has been noticeably more testy when I go in to get him out for a handling session. He's poised in 'S' position ready to strike, thrashes my hand off his body when I first touch him and has lunged (without striking) a few times. Once he's out, he's good ol' Djangoo, cool as ice.

So, I'm wondering if anybody else has ever noticed a difference in your animals behavior when switched from top opening to front opening or vice versa?

I'm not sure there's a direct correlation, but that's the only difference in his husbandry, feeding schedule, etc... so, I'm curious to know if it's just coincidence or if the opening makes a difference.

Thanks in advance...

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    They get used to a certain way of doing things and anything unusual is considered a threat. This is why you always mount a horse on the left side. My bet is he will get used to his situation and chill. All my adult ball pythons have been taught to eat a dangling rat. When I put one in and do the zombie dance, I get some unusual reactions.

I would take him out and put him in over and over again till he got wise to the situation.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2018),C.Marie (08-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Could a front opening enclosure change Django's demeanor?

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Django has been in his enclosure for almost a year exactly. It was always a top opening enclosure, until recently. A few weeks back I picked up a new Neodesha which is now stacked on top of Django's enclosure, which I transferred to a front opening enclosure. I had re-built it so I had the option to switch eventually if I decided to stack on top of it.

So, since switching his enclosure to front opening, Django has been noticeably more testy when I go in to get him out for a handling session. He's poised in 'S' position ready to strike, thrashes my hand off his body when I first touch him and has lunged (without striking) a few times. Once he's out, he's good ol' Djangoo, cool as ice.

So, I'm wondering if anybody else has ever noticed a difference in your animals behavior when switched from top opening to front opening or vice versa?

I'm not sure there's a direct correlation, but that's the only difference in his husbandry, feeding schedule, etc... so, I'm curious to know if it's just coincidence or if the opening makes a difference.

Thanks in advance...
    He might just be adjusting to his new surroundings.

When I first got Shayna, my BP, now 6 years old, she was calm as can be. After she got settled in her tank, and had a few meals, she started hissing at me when I went to pick her up. She did it three consecutive times I went to pick her up (over a week) and each time I called her bluff and took her out. She has never done it since. Either she felt comfortable and was being territorial or trying to scare me off, or who knows, but I didn't reinforce the behavior by going away.

Usually front opening tanks are less of an issue for snakes as you aren't coming from above like a predator might.

Django just needs to adjust a little bit and will probably go back to his old self.

Or, he's really happy and doesn't want you messing with him in his pad. Either way, keep taking him out and reinforcing that you will whether he wants to come out or not, and that you aren't going to hurt him.

I think he'll snap right back into his old self before you know it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    They get used to a certain way of doing things and anything unusual is considered a threat. This is why you always mount a horse on the left side. My bet is he will get used to his situation and chill. All my adult ball pythons have been taught to eat a dangling rat. When I put one in and do the zombie dance, I get some unusual reactions.

I would take him out and put him in over and over again till he got wise to the situation.
    Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking since this is the only variable that's changed.

Are you thinking I should literally take him out, put him in, let him get situated, take him out for a minute or two, put him in, repeat?? Or are you thinking just take him out more frequently for a bit til he gets acclimated?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    #1. If he is eating well, it shouldn't hurt. If he is really being a jerk and wants to bite I would let him. that is just me though, it is your hand. LOL
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 08-08-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-08-2018),C.Marie (08-09-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    He might just be adjusting to his new surroundings.

When I first got Shayna, my BP, now 6 years old, she was calm as can be. After she got settled in her tank, and had a few meals, she started hissing at me when I went to pick her up. She did it three consecutive times I went to pick her up (over a week) and each time I called her bluff and took her out. She has never done it since. Either she felt comfortable and was being territorial or trying to scare me off, or who knows, but I didn't reinforce the behavior by going away.

Usually front opening tanks are less of an issue for snakes as you aren't coming from above like a predator might.

Django just needs to adjust a little bit and will probably go back to his old self.

Or, he's really happy and doesn't want you messing with him in his pad. Either way, keep taking him out and reinforcing that you will whether he wants to come out or not, and that you aren't going to hurt him.

I think he'll snap right back into his old self before you know it.

Thanks. I always figured front opening would be better since coming from above is typically seen as a threat. I guess he's just a creature of habit like his Dad, hahaha.

I haven't let him win yet, I always get him out, it just takes a minute longer than usual. But as soon as I've got an actual handle on him and start to actually pick him up he's fine. He's been out with me now for a while and has been sweet as can be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-08-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Yes! I had Mayo, my cal king, in a glass top opening tank since I got her years ago. Since we moved, I changed her into a PVC front opening cage. When she was in the tank, she would run, rattle and pose up, just an ornery little thing that hated being handled. Now this last month+ in the front opening and she is the sweetest snake, coming up to the front, crawling out into my arms. Still shys away a bit but I can reach in and pet her and no tail rattles or anything. I love her new attitude. I'm sorry yours went the opposite way with the change.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-08-2018),dakski (08-08-2018),JodanOrNoDan (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Weird! Usually cages where you reach in from the top causes more defensive reactions, probably being more like predators coming in from above. Switching to a side opening enclosure gave my dumeril's boas calmer reactions.

What Jodan said makes sense!

Sort of off-topic, but I recently moved my tanimbar scrub to a new room where there's a lot more activity. She then became much more chill with seeing everyone come and go and stopped reacting to every movement. This chillness has yet to be tested with actual handling though haha, but it seems they'll quickly learn about new surroundings.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-08-2018),JodanOrNoDan (08-09-2018),MissterDog (08-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    #1. If he is eating well, it shouldn't hurt. If he is really being a jerk and wants to bite I would let him. that is just me though, it is your hand. LOL
    Oh he's a good eater, hahaha! No issues there.

He's tagged me before, that doesn't scare me at all. He's got a pretty wimpy bite, even when he holds on for a while it's nothing at all. Paper cuts, bee stings, cat scratches, purple nurples, stubbed toes, etc.. all hurt much worse.

I actually came to a realization a while back: I cook for a living, so I cut and burn myself all the time. Every cut and every burn hurts more than any bite from a snake I've ever received. So, I have pretty much no apprehension with being tagged.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Maybe you seemed bigger & more threatening coming from overhead...ie. he didn't dare mess with you then, but now that you're on "his level" you're fair game?
    I dunno? but I think it's just weird for him right now (making him nervous) & he'll soon adapt to the new way. To a snake, change = danger.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-08-2018 at 07:55 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-08-2018),JodanOrNoDan (08-09-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast