Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

2 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Weird-looking eggs

Hi, all. First time/unintended breeder here. I’ve had my female pinstripe and male pied for 6 and 5 years, respectively. Never planned on breeding them, just love them for their laid back personalities. However, I put the male into the female’s tank for an hour a few months ago, to clean out a whopping poop/water bowl spill, while my kids were home (young kids, couldn’t “wear” the snake like I normally do while tank cleaning—I have since gotten a “snake box” to put them into while cleaning. But I digress), and although I never saw them lock up, she laid 8 eggs on 8/1/18 (this past Wednesday). They could be viable, so I’m incubating them per normal BP incubation guidelines. My question/problem is that one egg has begun to look weird: like the white calcium “shell” of the egg is disintegrating. It started off as one small spot, but has progressively gotten a bit larger each day. Now, I’m seeing that another one is showing the same signs. There are visible veins in the eggs, and I’m continuing to incubate it as I am the others, and not disturbing them at all. They are on perlite. Temps are 88.9-90, humidity is 85-90%. Has anyone ever experienced this before? And is there anything I should/can do to arrest the continuing disintegration? Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Photo would help, but as long as they appear viable, just wait & see. Not all eggs that hatch still look picture-perfect.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Without a picture no one can answer your question, their are several things that you can see on eggs

Calcium deficiency, bumps, windows, mold, wet spot.....
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Weird-looking eggs

So sorry—had to switch to Tapatalk to add photos. Here’s the whole setup (disregard that thermometer/hygrometer—it died a bit after the pic was taken, but I have 2 others also in there—with probes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The eggs are getting too wet, they might still be salvageable (if there are good veins still), what I would do is go to home depot buy a light diffuser, cut it to size and get the eggs off the substrate.

Do something that will look like this

Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-08-2018),Bogertophis (08-08-2018),dr del (08-08-2018),JodanOrNoDan (08-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: Weird-looking eggs

THANK YOU!!!!!! I’ll be going to the Home Depot in an hour. Thank you so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GalaxyMom For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-08-2018)