Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,888

3 members and 2,885 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Phantom: Super Ghost BCI Progression Thread

My wife snapped this picture a couple minutes before the ‘bites’ started. You can tell a little that he was comfortably wrapped around her hand his with his head resting on his body. He looked really comfortable at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-23-2018),Jus1More (08-31-2018),MissterDog (08-23-2018),Starscream (08-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    My wife snapped this picture a couple minutes before the ‘bites’ started. You can tell a little that he was comfortably wrapped around her hand his with his head resting on his body. He looked really comfortable at the time.

If the handsome devil was that calm a few minutes earlier, it just shows that he's not an aggressive or defensive little guy. It was just too much stimulation for him and he freaked out a little bit.

I think you will see a lot more of the above than biting as you continue to work with him and he puts on size and grows more confident.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-23-2018),richardhind1972 (08-23-2018)

Thanks

Just a couple of handing questions as I continue to work with Phantom....

I usually find him completely hidden in his hide when I’m trying to initiate some handling time. Tonight he had his head peaking out and was aware that I was coming into his space. I removed the hide, stroked his body with both the hook handle and my hand and proceeded to pick him up. He was pretty flighty this time around and wrapped himself up in whatever he could find (ie bottom side of tub lip, herpstat wires). It took some effort trying to untangle him and I immediately had visions of getting struck again. I remained calm and put him back in the tub figuring maybe tonight wasn’t the best night to handle.

So my question is whether I should push through and try and calm him down? Come back later again (same day) and try again or just wait another day? Is it normal for babies to be flighty? For the record, he has shown times where’s been calm..not sure if that’s more to do with catching him while he’s resting.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Just a couple of handing questions as I continue to work with Phantom....

I usually find him completely hidden in his hide when I’m trying to initiate some handling time. Tonight he had his head peaking out and was aware that I was coming into his space. I removed the hide, stroked his body with both the hook handle and my hand and proceeded to pick him up. He was pretty flighty this time around and wrapped himself up in whatever he could find (ie bottom side of tub lip, herpstat wires). It took some effort trying to untangle him and I immediately had visions of getting struck again. I remained calm and put him back in the tub figuring maybe tonight wasn’t the best night to handle.

So my question is whether I should push through and try and calm him down? Come back later again (same day) and try again or just wait another day? Is it normal for babies to be flighty? For the record, he has shown times where’s been calm..not sure if that’s more to do with catching him while he’s resting.
    First, a thought on using the hook. If Behira is in her hide, and I want to take her out, I often show her the hook first at the front of the hide. If she's really deep in the hide, I lift the hide, using the hide as a shield (although normally if hiding is just chilling, it's when she's out and about that the hook really works its magic), and then stroke her a few times with the hook. You can try that as well.

Secondly, sounds like today was a great handling session. Phantom said today wasn't really the day. You stayed calm, and didn't put him back the second he showed he wanted to go back, but soon enough that it didn't over-stress him.

No bites, no one got upset, and he learned that you aren't going to hurt him a little today, and you are learning to listen to him.

"GOOD TALK!"

Keep working with him. He will calm with more handling. He's got to learn to trust you aren't going to hurt him. That will come with handling and him getting bigger and not thinking anything can and will eat him.

I would leave him alone the rest of today.

Try again another day.

Babies can definitely be flighty for the reasons listed above. They can also be moody as they haven't encountered enough of you to stay calm if something seemingly new happens. Any change in routine, even slight, and not purposeful on your part, but noticeable to him, could cause stress right now.

Keep up the good work and be patient. He will get there. He does not sound overly defensive or aggressive at all.

Keep us posted and good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-28-2018)

Thanks

Well Phantom ate for the 4th consecutive week since I’ve had him. It so amazing how different his feeding response is from my BP. I feel like every single environmental element has to be 100% spot on to get the BP to eat while all I have to do is present the mouse to Phantom and he gobbles it down. Such a relief! Here’s a picture of him a day after feeding on an adult mouse. I assume that’s a ‘mouse’ bulge at the top right. Does that seem like a good size to feed weekly given the bulge?

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-31-2018),Jus1More (08-31-2018),MissterDog (08-31-2018),richardhind1972 (09-01-2018)

Thanks

As long as the bulge is gone within 48 hours, you are good. If it's not, then you need to go smaller.

That doesn't look like a huge bulge, but hard to tell the way he's positioned. Plus, it's 24 hours later.

Yeah, Boa feed response in a little different than a BP, to say the least!

Glad he's pounding food for you!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Handsome Phantom is looking good!!! Gotta love those "love bites"...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-01-2018)

Thanks

So I found this little surprise in Phantom’s tub this afternoon. At 1st glance, I thought it looked like a regurgitation but it didn’t smell like death. I know first hand because my BP regurged on his 1st rat over a year ago. It almost looks like a big moist hair ball. For the record, Phantom ate 4 days ago and had his 1st poop over a week ago. I assume this is just waste from the mouse and normal?

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-03-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Just looks like a hair ball

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Just looks like a hair ball

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    That’s what I thought and assumed it was normal. Reason I asked is that I’ve never seen this happen with my Ball Python. Appreciate the feedback Richard.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast