Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,074

2 members and 1,072 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Glad to hear everything is going well with him
    0.1 Diamond/Jungle Carpet Python "Lucy"
    0.1 Marter line Blood Python

Thanks

Re: Phantom: Super Ghost BCI Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Reallyglad the first handling session went well, just nice slow steps and you will benefit in the long run,looking great
    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Glad handling went well. It will get easier and he will get calmer from here. Give him a few weeks and he'll be a different snake.
    Thank you! I was a little anxious since it was my 1st real interaction with him let alone a 1st with a BOA. I’m very much looking forward to our next session which will probably be tonight when I make some modifications to the enclosure (add UTH to cool side and add more holes to help bring down the humidity (80%).

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congrats on the consecutive successful feedings and positive handling session Kuhn. Those are some cool pics of your handsome critter. Sounds like you two are off to a great start!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Glad to hear everything is going well with him [IMG]file:///C:\Users\043881\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Appreciate it my Georgia Snake Keeping Brethren! I’m really enjoying this little guy.

Does anyone think I need to put something ‘rough’ in the tub to aid w/ shedding? Currently I have two small hides, a water dish and scott towel substrate. I was trying to keep it minimal since it’s a Quarantine enclosure where it needed to be easy to detect mites.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

@ CK- I would put something rough in the QT tub to help them shed. I need to drill some more holes in my QT tubs also.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 08-20-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-20-2018)

Thanks

Well I just joined the club and there’s nobody to blame but myself. My baby boa tagged me at least two times tonight. I’ve been handling him for short periods of time every night this week and tonight I thought it would be a good idea to get the wife and kids involved. Well I guess it was just too much and he tagged me multiple times while I was wrapping up the handling sessions. This is the 1st time I’ve been bitten by a snake and the ‘unknown’ turned out to be not that big of deal. In fact, I barely even flinched and actually was surprised to see blood. Hopefully I didn’t do any damage to the bonding process.

Gruesome picture below:

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-22-2018),richardhind1972 (08-23-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Congrats on your very first bite! Phantom could have been stressed with to many hands handling him., but thats just I thought! I'm sure it didn't ruin your bonding situation with him. Just take it slow and maybe limit the hands that hold him until he builds more trust and confidence with you..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Congrats on your very first bite! Phantom could have been stressed with to many hands handling him., but thats just I thought! I'm sure it didn't ruin your bonding situation with him. Just take it slow and maybe limit the hands that hold him until he builds more trust and confidence with you..
    I think you’re exactly right! I had my wife and two kids (ages 2-4) trying to get involved so it was pure chaos. I don’t blame Phatom for resorting to a bite. He was getting pretty squirmy right before the bite so it makes sense. Before that, he was wrapped calmly in my wife’s hands. Tomorrow is feeding night so he’ll have 3 nights of non handling.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (08-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Well I just joined the club and there’s nobody to blame but myself. My baby boa tagged me at least two times tonight. I’ve been handling him for short periods of time every night this week and tonight I thought it would be a good idea to get the wife and kids involved. Well I guess it was just too much and he tagged me multiple times while I was wrapping up the handling sessions. This is the 1st time I’ve been bitten by a snake and the ‘unknown’ turned out to be not that big of deal. In fact, I barely even flinched and actually was surprised to see blood. Hopefully I didn’t do any damage to the bonding process.

Gruesome picture below:

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I think you’re exactly right! I had my wife and two kids (ages 2-4) trying to get involved so it was pure chaos. I don’t blame Phatom for resorting to a bite. He was getting pretty squirmy right before the bite so it makes sense. Before that, he was wrapped calmly in my wife’s hands. Tomorrow is feeding night so he’ll have 3 nights of non handling.

First, welcome to the bite club. The anticipation or fear of a bite is almost always worse than the bite itself.

Secondly, I agree, it was just too much too soon for him. He's tiny and not used to handling. That means he will get scared very easily. Slow down. Shorter, less hectic handling sessions for a while. Build trust.

Also, in your response (above), you nailed it. He was "getting pretty squirmy." He warned you and told you, ENOUGH! You didn't listen.

I've never been bitten by my BP Shayna, but I know when she's done with handling. Usually 10-15 minutes in (tops) she starts getting really active. If I don't listen and put her back, she gets stressed; a little more darty and can even breath heavier.

As you learn to get to know Phantom, and vice versa, you will learn to read him better.

He sounds pretty chill otherwise, especially for not being handled much, and will 99% grow out of this stage with continued gentle handling and with size.

I wouldn't worry about ruining the bonding. It's an isolated incident. He won't hold it against you. Learn and move on.

Were your kids and/or wife freaked out?

Also, good you didn't immediately throw him back in his tank. You don't want to reinforce that he gets what he wants if he bites. It was probably a minute later, which is plenty of time for him to not make a connection.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (09-10-2018),richardhind1972 (08-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Also, in your response (above), you nailed it. He was "getting pretty squirmy." He warned you and told you, ENOUGH! You didn't listen.

Were your kids and/or wife freaked out?

Also, good you didn't immediately throw him back in his tank. You don't want to reinforce that he gets what he wants if he bites. It was probably a minute later, which is plenty of time for him to not make a connection.
    So as he started to get squirmy, the warning signs started to go off. I immediately started to walk away and head back to his enclosure. As I was doing so, I felt a prick on my hand and thats when I realized he was biting me. I'm actually kind of proud of myself from not pulling away and possibly injuring him. I thought he got me twice but after looking at my hands, it looks like 3 bites.

The kids and wife were not freaked out which is good. I explained it was 100% my fault and that Phantom was just scared. I look at it as a learning moment as well an opportunity to teach the family.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-22-2018),EL-Ziggy (08-22-2018),MissterDog (08-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Bite Club Initiation complete . Wear it as a badge of honor sir. Glad you and Phantom are both ok. Sounds like the lesson was learned now let bygones be bygones.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-22-2018),dakski (08-22-2018),richardhind1972 (08-23-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Really glad your wife and kids weren’t freaked out by the nip
    As others have said it was probably the kids being kids,lol. that freaked him out a bit, at least you saw his body language had changed and now know what to look for on the next handling session and to pop him back when you see him start to stress, he should hopefully grow out of once he’s learnt there’s no harm going to be done
    Good luck, at least it doesn’t hurt that much at that age, just surprising how many little pin pricks there are when the red stuff starts to arrive

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-23-2018),CloudtheBoa (09-10-2018)

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast