Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,960

0 members and 2,960 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Phantom: Super Ghost BCI Progression Thread

Boa eyes are really nice and you will also notice he will have dark and light phases.can be quite startling somedays

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-07-2018),EL-Ziggy (08-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Noted on the when to start feeding, schedule etc....

I took a peek and noticed his standing thermometer was knocked over and some of the paper towels were shuffled around. I have yet to see him in his hide; he's either climbing about or sitting in the corner. The humidity was up to 87% because of the wet paper towels.

So since he's in quarantine, I'm wondering how everyone handles daily inspection (i.e. change water, substrate, etc...) I'd like to not disturb him during this acclimation process but is picking him up and taking care of husbandry needs ok?

With my BP, I barely touched him (or saw him for that matter) for the 1st 3 weeks.
    Daily inspections can be done quick and using the temp gun to check temps. I wouldn't handle him unless you have to. However, substrate changes (when he goes to the bathroom) and water changes are necessary.

I recommend taking him out and putting him right into a holding container. Then putting right back after cleaning, etc. Do this as little as possible.

However, I do recommend taking him out for maintenance.

Two reasons.

1. Less stress for him. That's his safe place and it can be weird having a hand in there moving things around, etc.

2. Avoid a bite. I never do anything in Behira's cage, except a quick temp check (with her on the other side of the tank), without removing her. Not worth the risk. She is not longer scared by anything at her size, but could want food!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-07-2018),richardhind1972 (08-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Daily inspections can be done quick and using the temp gun to check temps. I wouldn't handle him unless you have to. However, substrate changes (when he goes to the bathroom) and water changes are necessary.

I recommend taking him out and putting him right into a holding container. Then putting right back after cleaning, etc. Do this as little as possible.

However, I do recommend taking him out for maintenance.

Two reasons.

1. Less stress for him. That's his safe place and it can be weird having a hand in there moving things around, etc.

2. Avoid a bite. I never do anything in Behira's cage, except a quick temp check (with her on the other side of the tank), without removing her. Not worth the risk. She is not longer scared by anything at her size, but could want food!
    Noted as such. I'm debating on whether I want to quickly add more holes to his tub. It's at 94% humidity..mostly because he's gotten his paper towels wet. It hovered around 70% before he arrived. Do you think this is important to do?

Thanks

So I'm going to attempt my 1st feeding tonight and hoping that that it's a little less stressful then feeding a BP (referring to feeding refusals, etc....)

With that said, do the same feeding techniques apply with BOAs? Meaning, should I still heat the prey up with a hair dryer? Do I still need to feed in the dark? I've watched several feeding videos and they are never done in the dark nor do I ever see a hair dryer
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    In general, I would try offering food with fewer "extra precautions" first. If he takes it, great! If not, you can always wait a day and then add darkness or whatever. But if he's willing to be an easy feeder I'd like to give him that chance and boas aren't generally reputed to be finicky eaters.

Prey should be warmed up to simulate body heat with any species, but the method of heating I think is up to you. I use hot water for mine and then dry the mouse/rat with a paper towel. Some people have claimed that using water reduces the scent which it may to some degree but I don't know how much and it hasn't been a problem for me so far. I guess I'd say the same thing here - go with whatever is most convenient for you first. If they don't appear to like it, wait a day and try again or try a different method.

Even if you find yourself initially needing to use less convenient methods I'd still try the easier ones again after they're more settled in, eventually it's nice to just have everything work smoothly and easily without extra steps involved.
    0.1 Diamond/Jungle Carpet Python "Lucy"
    0.1 Marter line Blood Python

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Boas tend to be more aggressive feeders than BPs. Expect a strike. No heat pits on Boas, but warming cannot hurt. I warm for Behira.

I always feed at night and in the “dark.” Obviously not pitch black because I wouldn’t be able to see. However, tank lights out and pretty dim room.

This means he won’t expect food with lights on and will be conditioned to be fed at night, when he naturally looks for food anyway.

I like conditioning the snakes to not expect food with the lights on, when I handle. However, up to you.

Some feed, like breeders, when it’s convenient for them. Also, if filming, pretty difficult to do in the dark.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-09-2018),Zincubus (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

So I'm going to attempt my 1st feeding tonight and hoping that that it's a little less stressful then feeding a BP (referring to feeding refusals, etc....)

With that said, do the same feeding techniques apply with BOAs? Meaning, should I still heat the prey up with a hair dryer? Do I still need to feed in the dark? I've watched several feeding videos and they are never done in the dark nor do I ever see a hair dryer
    You don't feed nervous Royals in the dark .. just dim / low lighting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

You don't feed nervous Royals in the dark .. just dim / low lighting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-09-2018)

Thanks

Thanks everyone. These breeders make it look so easy in these videos feeding a whole rack of snakes while it takes me forever to get my BP to eat while trying to pull out all the tricks in the book!

I mentioned needing to continue the heating techniques because of the lack of heat sensors on a BOA as compared to a BP. I’ll give the feeder a quick shot of the hair dryer and see what happens.

I’ll also try and find a small lamp to put in the quarantine room as to avoid turning on the main light. As to Daski’s point, I’d like to condition my BOA in knowing when it’s feeding vs handling time (hook training aside).
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Thanks everyone. These breeders make it look so easy in these videos feeding a whole rack of snakes while it takes me forever to get my BP to eat while trying to pull out all the tricks in the book!

I mentioned needing to continue the heating techniques because of the lack of heat sensors on a BOA as compared to a BP. I’ll give the feeder a quick shot of the hair dryer and see what happens.

I’ll also try and find a small lamp to put in the quarantine room as to avoid turning on the main light. As to Daski’s point, I’d like to condition my BOA in knowing when it’s feeding vs handling time (hook training aside).
    Well my King snakes would probably try and eat a FROZEN mouse but all the others ( Royals , Retic , Boas , Corn and Rat snakes ALL respond really well with the warmed up mice ( 10 second hairdryer blast ) ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-09-2018)

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast