Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

0 members and 3,035 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Phantom: Super Ghost BCI Progression Thread

First feeding was a success! So much less stressful then feeding my BP which I’ll have to do later tonight.

The laundry room where I keep my new BCI was pretty dark so I turned on a small lamp and proceeded to heat up the smallest mouse in the bunch (14grams) with a hair dryer. When I opened the tub, he was sitting their motionless and didn’t seem to react to the dangling mouse. I had to gently tap him to get him out of his trance. Once he snapped out of it, he was in hunting mode and struck like a champ!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 08-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-10-2018),MissterDog (08-09-2018),richardhind1972 (08-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Phantom: Super Ghost BCI Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    First feeding was a success! So much less stressful then feeding my BP which I’ll have to do later tonight.

The laundry room where I keep my new BCI was pretty dark so I turned on a small lamp and proceeded to heat up the smallest mouse in the bunch (14grams) with a hair dryer. When I opened the tub, he was sitting their motionless and didn’t seem to react to the dangling mouse. I had to gently tap him to get him out of his trance. Once he snapped out of it, he was in hunting mode and struck like a champ!!

Excellent !!!

That's a confidence boost ... for both of you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Excellent !!!

That's a confidence boost ... for both of you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks! A confidence boost only a snake owner would understand. Hopefully my BP feeding in a couple of hours doesn’t break it

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Great news! I'm glad he's eating for you, that helps confirm that he's comfortable in his new home.
    0.1 Diamond/Jungle Carpet Python "Lucy"
    0.1 Marter line Blood Python

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Great news! I'm glad he's eating for you, that helps confirm that he's comfortable in his new home.
    Appreciate it! Those feeders were just the right size.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-10-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

CK...I am so glad he arrived safe!! He looks absolutely stunning, I just LOVE the light coloring. BIG WARM WELCOME to Sir Phantom!!! Keep us posted on how he settles in.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post

Nice! Good to hear!

Glad he struck and there was no doubt he was interested in food!

Once he knows food shows up there, watch your fingers!

I am convinced Behira thinks about food about 98% of the time, unless I "snap" her out of it with the hook or I am holding her, that's pretty much what she thinks about.

Seriously, very happy he ate on the first try. Here's to a lifetime of successful feedings! Behira has refused one meal of about 30, and that was the day she shed and I handled her to take out shed and clean up the tank, etc.

Basically, BCI's are garbage disposals (as are my corn snakes - Figment has missed 1 meal in 5 years - also shed related) and BP's are "Selective Feeders," which is a nice way of saying big pain in the butt. Don't get me wrong. I adore Shayna, but if I had $1 for every F/T rat I've wasted!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-10-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Phantom: Super Ghost BCI Progression Thread

Really pleased phantom ate for ya

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 08-10-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    CK...I am so glad he arrived safe!! He looks absolutely stunning, I just LOVE the light coloring. BIG WARM WELCOME to Sir Phantom!!! Keep us posted on how he settles in. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\043881\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Hey Just1More….appreciate the kind comments! So far so good and counting the days down when I can finally start holding him!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Nice! Good to hear!
    Glad he struck and there was no doubt he was interested in food!
    Once he knows food shows up there, watch your fingers!
    I am convinced Behira thinks about food about 98% of the time, unless I "snap" her out of it with the hook or I am holding her, that's pretty much what she thinks about.
    Seriously, very happy he ate on the first try. Here's to a lifetime of successful feedings! Behira has refused one meal of about 30, and that was the day she shed and I handled her to take out shed and clean up the tank, etc.
    Basically, BCI's are garbage disposals (as are my corn snakes - Figment has missed 1 meal in 5 years - also shed related) and BP's are "Selective Feeders," which is a nice way of saying big pain in the butt. Don't get me wrong. I adore Shayna, but if I had $1 for every F/T rat I've wasted!
    Yea, I’m not too worried about my fingers now because he’s so tiny but I’m sure once he starts putting on my size it start to more of a concern! I’m so glad to hear it’s not my BP that’s just wasting F/T rats
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Really pleased phantom ate for ya
    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Thanks Richard! It was a good night. Even my BP decided to eat after a month off hiatus of rejecting food.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-10-2018),Jus1More (08-10-2018),richardhind1972 (08-10-2018)

Thanks
    While psychologically it's normal to be apprehensive even about small bites, it's usually not that big a deal with young snakes. You saw my carpet python the other day, she's only bitten me once accidentally when she thought she was being fed. At that time she was about 3' 9" and I barely felt it. I had to check my hand and saw yup, there's some tiny red pinprick marks so I guess she did get me. Bottom line, it's scary in your mind but you're not going to be rolling on the floor in pain or anything.

Teeth size/shape does differ between species, I'm not sure how a boa compares to a carpet in that aspect but at least they're roughly the same build so hopefully it's comparable. If anything I would expect an arboreal species like a carpet might have slightly longer teeth because they may need that extra grip to hang onto their prey as they're going to have to support their weight in the air.

You'll recall that I put on a glove with the blood python, but that's only because I know she's definitely going to bite as well as because I haven't worked with them before so I don't know how strong a bite it will be. I do know that short tails are reputed to hit fairly hard though and while she's not long she's got a lot of weight behind her. Once she's comfortable here and settles down I'll ditch the glove.

By the time your boa gets big enough that his bites are stronger, I expect he won't be inclined to give them anymore. Boas are generally a pretty mellow species, I think this is more of a thing where babies of any species tend to be nippy because they're so low on the food chain so they have to be a bit paranoid.
    0.1 Diamond/Jungle Carpet Python "Lucy"
    0.1 Marter line Blood Python

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-10-2018),richardhind1972 (08-10-2018)

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast